Safety While Hiking: Quicksand

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am sure some of you are familiar with a deadly nemesis commonly referred to as quicksand.

A recent couple in Zion National Park became to familiar with some.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/hik...rs-rescued-just-freak-accident-225010075.html

I recall a story long ago of a hunter coming across a bleached skull of a person who encountered quicksand in Arkansas. The deceased person had not been able to free themselves from the quicksand and died obviously by starvation. Its very real and it can take your life if you are not prepared.

Here are some tips to avoid this deadly hazard: Make yourself as light as possible, toss your bag, jacket, and shoes. Try to take a few steps backwards. Keep your arms up and out of the quicksand. Try to reach for a branch or person's hand to pull yourself out. Take deep breaths. Move slowly and deliberately. Keep some para cord in an upper pocket and something that can be used as a grappling hook you can pull onto. Remember dying is not an option. Being calm and steady will help you survive. There are great reference materials on the internet. Reading them can help you or someone you like or love from being a victim of this naturally occurring menace.

Be Safe

Bests

LUE-Hawn

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice kinda like play dead if a near is chasing you he'll ole you sniff you knock you around That would be hard wrap your arms around his neck while choking it and ride in like an unbroken horse

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if your familiar with the writer Edward Abby but in his book Desert Solitare, a collection of experiences, he tells of a time his buddy got stuck in quick sand and Edward thinks about if he should test the theory that, a person can't drown in quick sand.
The thought process and his buddy yelling and carrying on was a riot.
For those that like all the treasure hunting and the great SW will find his words gospel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread