Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MXT All Pro, Whites Treasuremaster, Fisher F5,
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a pair of rocky snake boots that I have come to not like too well. They are somewhat stiff and can get pretty warm on a summer day, almost to the point of being uncomfortable. Today I visited my local hunting/fishing store in search of chaps or leggings to guard against snakebite and bought a set of Snake Guardz. I frequent locations that are potentially snaky and although these were $65.00, I figured that is money well spent compared to a trip to the hospital.

I'm sitting here now with them on and they are very comfortable and lightweight. Anyone that is considering snake bite protection, these might be something to consider. I have some leather Wellington boots I normally wear so I think I'll feel better wading into the weeds now.

Here is a video of them testing their product and that dude is much braver than I am. :o

Last edited:

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What happens if the snake bites the toe of the boot or shoe underneath the Guardz? I wear a pair of Chippewa snake boots year round while in the woods here in SC. They are expensive but cheaper than a hospital anti-venom bill. Non of them are a guarantee though. A fellow member on a hunting forum was bitten by a timber rattler a few years back above the snake boot in his knee. I believe the hospital bill ended up being around 200k. Good luck and keep your eyes peeled and hopefully we will never have to test them out. And no way I would be they guy in the video testing them out!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been wearing these on the gold claims for years in Arizona. Even the largest Coon-tail rattlesnake will have a tough time penetrating a 1/4" thick boot toe or heel. The SnakeGardz work well. I've been struck twice with no worries, just a little dampness in my undies.. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Coinucopia

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What happens if the snake bites the toe of the boot or shoe underneath the Guardz? I wear a pair of Chippewa snake boots year round while in the woods here in SC.

I wear a pair of heavy leather Wellingtons that if I were to lay odds, a snake would have a tough time penetrating IMO. I just wanted some lower leg protection above for now and also I looked at some hip high chaps. After trying them on they seemed somewhat bulky and uncomfortable so that option was out.

I'll eventually get another pair of knee high snake boots but I wasn't impressed with the Rocky's as far as being comfortable for an extended period of time. The nearest Bass Pro is about 60 miles from me and I plan on riding over one day soon and seeing what they have to offer for boots.

OP
OP
Coinucopia

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been wearing these on the gold claims for years in Arizona. Even the largest Coon-tail rattlesnake will have a tough time penetrating a 1/4" thick boot toe or heel. The SnakeGardz work well. I've been struck twice with no worries, just a little dampness in my undies.. :icon_thumright:

That's good to hear they worked. Just curious, did the strikes hit high or low? Not many rattlesnakes where I am but we have a healthy population of copperheads and cottonmouths, the latter of which are nothing but serious bad attitude.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One strike was dry and about midway up the left guard, the other was wet and hit just above the ankle when I stepped over a boulder without looking first. I shot that ******* just because I scared the crap out of myself and felt embarrassed. I still regret killing that snake for a mistake I made. :dontknow:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if the snake decides to bite a little higher

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wear a pair of heavy leather Wellingtons that if I were to lay odds, a snake would have a tough time penetrating IMO. I just wanted some lower leg protection above for now and also I looked at some hip high chaps. After trying them on they seemed somewhat bulky and uncomfortable so that option was out.

I'll eventually get another pair of knee high snake boots but I wasn't impressed with the Rocky's as far as being comfortable for an extended period of time. The nearest Bass Pro is about 60 miles from me and I plan on riding over one day soon and seeing what they have to offer for boots.
Chippewa are very comfortable and not extremely hot. The slip on style are great when wearing shorts or pants. I have a pair of rubber style snake boots as well and they are HOT!

OP
OP
Coinucopia

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What if the snake decides to bite a little higher

It would seem to me that likely most bites occur on the lower extremities on level ground. All bites that I personally know of occurred there. I guess it's an accepted risk that one may hit above the level of any knee high protection being worn but I think the odds are slim unless one is down crawling around on the ground or digging a target.

Wearing a medieval suit of armor may be the only 100% level of protection but I imagine that would drive my detector nuts! How would one notch that out?:laughing7:

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other

You are right, snakes can not bite thru heavy leather boots. Large snakes can penetrate rubber boots but not heavy leather. Also the muscles of most venomous snakes are not very strong and not to compare with the muscles in their bodies. The teeth go deep thru skin because snakes pull back when they bite so the teeth penetrate because the body pulls the head backwards. That´s the reason why their teeth are bent inside.
I got all kind of snakes for half of my life, was bitten several times and have some experience in it. 8-)

Btw do you have many problems with snake bites in the US? Most snakes flee instead of attack. Also they make noises before they start to bite. I can undertand that in Asia many people gets bitten because there are many snakes who hangs in higher bushes or trees and those are very aggressive ones like green vipers. Hard to protect from them.

I guess this will protect the entire body for sure :laughing7: ZCN00154_2_so-460x644.jpg

BessM

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info. Thanks! I'm pretty new to hunting, and only last year I understood how important for the hunting boots to be snake proof. Though a lot of people think that long boots may reduce their mobility, they are safer. I bought Irish Setter 17 inch high shoes with a snake guard system Honestly speaking, now I feel much safer while hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was bitten on my knee by a Copperhead when I was 12. Had on brand new jeans when jeans were real tough. I was squatting in our garden and my jeans were tight to my knee, and the bite only scratched my skin. Had a big stain of venom on my jeans. My folks took me to the emergency room anyway, got a shot just in case. I've watched out for snakes for over 60 years now.

Watched out my front door yesterday, just happened to see it. Two black snakes breeding, darned cool sight and left them be. They'll eat poisonous snakes, so they're good to have around.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been in the snake's den all my life and haven't worn a pair of snake boots yet...I do however, keep my digging shovel very sharp.:laughing7:

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida? Snakes? You bet. We where our gaiters all the time while in the jungle. Here is a little critter we came across a few months ago. Red touches yellow….kill a fellow. 2FACA3F5-50B3-4AD4-B300-025BF83301FD.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions