Flint vs.. Bic Lighter : Riddle Me this......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a Few Survivalists Showing how to start a fire in the Woods & they all Carry a Flint Stick :tongue3:

They apparently Suggest Carrying a flint stick {cost $3.00 up on Ebay) but don't simply say,
don't leave your house without some lighters.

for $3.00 I can walk into any Gas station here & buy 3 Small Bic Lighters { cost .88 each )

Survivalists suggest throwing a flint stick in their backpack.

why don't they suggest a hand-full of lighters ? If they all run out,
you still have the Flint with a Built in Striker ? Ego that they can start a fire with a knife and a flint stick ?
if they don't Forget or Loose it.

you Can start a fire with an empty bic and a square of toilet paper.
I'm sure it can be done other ways too including an empty bic & a Magnifier.
But emergency Bic's can last forever

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flint
lighter
matches
propane torch....with the trigger.
If I'm (surviving) I will be bringing EVERYTHING
Keg, gallons of scotch and whiskey......
Guns ammo couple of fast food restaurants...

laughing11.gif

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I've wondered that too Jeff. I know in the urban jungles I've seen many of them discarded on the ground and I've even dug up a few. At least if you drop a BIC they are brightly colored to re-find it.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a couple of these candle lighters in a duffel bag in my truck that has insulated boots, heavy mittens, insulated snow suit and snow shoes. I also have two gallons of water, big bag of almonds, unopened packages of cheap turkey sticks from Walmart and packs of Emergen-C powder. Out of the many miles I've driven through winter storms and arid deserts I have broke down a couple of times miles from anywhere. The candle lighter I think works best because you can put the tip down under a pile of kindling away from the wind and just pull the trigger, not heating up your thumb waiting for the fire to ignite. I think they might have more fuel in them, than a Bic pocket lighter. Works also as a torch in the dark, but for lighting I have a rechargeable LED miners cap lamp that will on high beam run 15 hours and 3 days on low beam with a single charge. I could flag an airplane with that cap lamp on high beam.

Attachments

• 12928_03.jpg
    12928_03.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a couple of these candle lighters in a duffel bag in my truck that has insulated boots, heavy mittens, insulated snow suit and snow shoes. I also have two gallons of water, big bag of almonds, unopened packages of cheap turkey sticks from Walmart and packs of Emergen-C powder. Out of the many miles I've driven through winter storms and arid deserts I have broke down a couple of times miles from anywhere. The candle lighter I think works best because you can put the tip down under a pile of kindling away from the wind and just pull the trigger, not heating up your thumb waiting for the fire to ignite, plus I think they might have more fuel in them, than a Bic pocket lighter.

yea I like them too. used one for a kerosene heater in the past

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet if your in Zombie Land, You have Much Better odds of finding a Lighter on your travels then. a outdoor shop with flint sticks
that isn't cleaned out or turned into a survival bunker too

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Bic lighter is a flint and steel and it is still a flint and steel after it is empty of gas.

If you scratch some cotton off a dry peice of cloth, like a pair of jeans, you can light it with a spark from an empty Bic lighter. At least you can until the flint runs out. I used to do it when I was a kid. My parents wouldn't let me play with matches.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
used to do this too

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this has some new ones for me

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the Corona shut down stay home era dang near a year ago now we would order in these Hello Fresh meals. The condiments were in these little glass jars and throughout all the boredom I made these little lamps using these little glass jars and olive oil for fuel and the wick is some cotton pads moma buys cut into strips. I punched a hole with a phillips screw driver for a round flame and a flat screw driver for a wide flat flame. The little holes in the lid around the wick are for ventilation and the olive oil to drain back in as that flame draws out the olive oil faster than it can burn it. These things will burn up to 5 hours each, so I guess maybe I could mark off the glass in intervals and even have basic time keeping device as the fuel falls They also put out a decent amount of heat you could harm your hands with and have way more lumin's than a candle without all the dripping wax.

Attachments

• 20210308_080600.jpg
    20210308_080600.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 62

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of ya'll don't have the sun that we get, but just a magnifying glass can come in handy!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of ya'll don't have the sun that we get, but just a magnifying glass can come in handy!
Not if you're an ant on a hot sidewalk and you happen to be spotted by an ornery kid with a magnifying glass.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the Corona shut down stay home era dang near a year ago now we would order in these Hello Fresh meals. The condiments were in these little glass jars and throughout all the boredom I made these little lamps using these little glass jars and olive oil for fuel and the wick is some cotton pads moma buys cut into strips. I punched a hole with a phillips screw driver for a round flame and a flat screw driver for a wide flat flame. The little holes in the lid around the wick are for ventilation and the olive oil to drain back in as that flame draws out the olive oil faster than it can burn it. These things will burn up to 5 hours each, so I guess maybe I could mark off the glass in intervals and even have basic time keeping device as the fuel falls They also put out a decent amount of heat you could harm your hands with and have way more lumin's than a candle without all the dripping wax.

just watched this a week or so ago

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A ferro rod throws more and hotter sparks.
Carry a Bic or two. Keep one warm in the cold. I use an inner pocket.
It's nice when they work. But also carry a back up. ( I like a magnesium block with a striker attached.)

Bics suck when your hands are too cold. Been there..
A Bic has got a fire going first try when one was vitally important too.
So , back up your back up. As long as you can make fire , that will reduce the need for one.
But if you ever need one , suceed the easiest way you can.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first thing I do when I Purchase a bic is to remove