Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanaci, because of my better half I have missed chances to develop Tayiopa or the Esondida, however I wouldn't trade her for Tayopa itself..AS long as I have enough money to support her I am content even if Tayopa goes down the drain.

We have shared adventures more than most, I can count on her in an emergency, such as when we were under siege up in the Colorados that time by the Indians

Her performance when they entered the office with a pistol against the head of the foreman was a classic. SHE merely gently pushed it aside with one finger and said "that;s not very nice" - it left the Indians with their mouths open not knowing what to do.and took the edge off for then. It made my handling the situation easier

s
She is now almost 70, , I raided the cradle, she was 15 when I started the old Fashioned Formal Spanish courtship --I didn't realize just how young she was ---I was 32, a confirmed bachelor.

Last edited:

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holo Oro

I doubt I ever have a voyage like that again. I imagine they broke many a heart across the Pacific. They were all Hula dancers very supple and put many a man to shame in rigging. Many have gone onto bigger and better things.

Kanacki

And there you see another reason that the Pacific Islands have so much appeal for me and so many others. My marriage is still young, only 30 years so far, and I wouldn't trade it either, but it is nice to look and fantasize about "what if I wasn't married". By the way, my wife spent several years in Hawaii as a child, and she was a hula dancer as well.

JB

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Kanacki, yes these tropical women…….eye candy for sure…….the women here seem aware of the temptation and many keep a close watch on their man…..
And I agree with Señor Don Jose, I would not abrade my wife for a night of young pleasure….but it does not hurt to look at them……
Vaya con Dios y viva Christo Rey

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Kanacki, yes these tropical women…….eye candy for sure…….the women here seem aware of the temptation and many keep a close watch on their man…..
And I agree with Señor Don Jose, I would not abrade my wife for a night of young pleasure….but it does not hurt to look at them……

Regardless my friend one thing I have learned after being married to my wife a long time...is the safest thing to say is you do not have an opinion on the matter.:laughing7:

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In regards to the Solomon islands has many secrets. There is a native rumor of lost city in the jungle interior of the island. The coastal tribes tended to fear the natives of the interior. There are about 120 languages in the islands. The loyalties are more to their clans than their countryman. Yet strange stories persist through the islands. Deep caves and fear of cannibal giants in their folklore than came down through the jungle and hunted and ate the coastal village people. These stories still persist to day in the islands. Very few of their stories ever get told to outsiders of their clans.

As for treasures many ships was looted and crews murdered among the island . Head hunting in some parts was still common right up WW2. Ritual cannibalism was rife. It took a long time to change this ancient culture to a more amicable one. It is easy to see why the Spaniards never bothered again to attempt to colonize these savage islands in the cannibal seas.

But white man still kept coming, first for sandalwood which was sold for high prices in china. Ships would return for more carrying gold and silver from China and suffer fate of many ships over run with natives and crews murdered. then whalers would call in for water and provisions some times carry money from 2 years of whaling. Then the black birders native recruiters like short of slavers and beach de mer and Copra traders all made land fall. Many ships and crew fell under the native tomahawk, with their bodies eaten and head worship as trophies in ghost house of the village. All vessels has some sort currency to be stolen and often the personal fortune of the skipper....Much became trophies of each clans ghost house in time was hidden away from zealous christian missionaries that slowly converted them. They too paid a high price as many of them was martyred

Some of those hidden treasures turn up every now and again. In the 1990 3 Australia divers in Santa Cruz found 1500 Spanish silver dollars by chance on beach in the sand. Some parts of Solomon's have strange carved wooden coffins often decorated with bones of the dead. Some times these wooden coffin houses would have trophies taken from ships such as jewellery coins and precious stones. Most ones today do not, but there are many hidden and lost in the jungle. For every known ship massacre there was a punitive expeditions that wiped out entire villages.

Kanacki

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
It is mind boggling to just "wonder" what is still out there, both on dry land and under water. As you have done in the past, making friends with the natives may have many rewards. One that I still find fascinating is the Flor de la Mar in Malaysia. My only regret is not starting to do this earlier in life, 20/20 hindsight.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is mind boggling to just "wonder" what is still out there, both on dry land and under water. As you have done in the past, making friends with the natives may have many rewards. One that I still find fascinating is the Flor de la Mar in Malaysia. My only regret is not starting to do this earlier in life, 20/20 hindsight.

Hola Simon treasure hunting is long hard road to travel. Many have spent their lives only to be no better off than they started. Some times worse off. However for those who taste the sweet nectar of success will be addicted for life. And success can come at high price indeed. But it those who go forth into the world daring to dream some times make discoveries beyond the wildest imaginations.

While many fail to understand the magnitude of research needed to be done to hunt down these missing treasures from history. Definitely not like the movies it can take years and when you find that El Dorado, getting to keep it becomes a whole new set of problems.

One thing I guarantee you researching and then organizing expeditions and just traveling to these location meetings sinners and saints along the way make one feel they have fallen into a movie.

Kanacki

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Spoken like a true wise man, the stories and memories you build from this are just as valuable, if not more, than what you seek. If we start young, we have a whole lifetime to correct our mistakes, when we start late in life, we may be wiser, but now have less time to learn from our mistakes. Where is Don Jose's Fountain of Youth when you need it ?

Doug

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh Senor Simon, there are many treasures waiting to be discovered……….some of the treasures are there just for the taking……the experience of living in a foreign culture with a different language…….foods, cultures and people……many treasures waiting for those who are willing to go the many lands waiting…….
Here in South America exist many treasure legends and history of treasures (many not discovered both on land and in the water)………being older is not a reason to try and experience places such as Señor Kanacki and Señor Don Jose describe, or South America where I reside now…..
Heck even as a vacation, it is affordable and worth the visit.

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Simon,
The Flor de LA Mar continues to be a fascinating treasure story.Not long ago in my trip to Lisbon I enquired about old Portuguese books on the subject in second hand shops,,,,the closest I came was in one old book shop dedicated for marine and history which has a sizable very big volume (sort of encyclopedia) on the history of the ships of that era..but I didn't buy the book or check it.Furthermore I went to the marine museum ,there also no useful material.I believe the best primary source can be checked in the bibliotheque central of Lisbon or archive library...I recall once browsing in treasurenet a Portuguese guy mentioning he read some chronicles on the Flor de LA Mar ,and he was a bit sceptic of some aspects of the legend based on what he read in the chronicles in Lisbon archives,,,,I forgot his whole thought but he claims that
Afonso de Albuquerque returned the following day(after surviving the wreckage) overlooking the wreckage site to attempt retrieval of some of the loot...I believe with a proper research on the primary chronicless in Lisbon,what has been retrieved (if retrieved)and what remains could be determined as the exact amount of the treasure on board has been located from log books of the expedition as well.But I didn't have the chance to enquire for such chronicles in the central library during my visit in Lisbon.And most importantly, if
Afonso de Albuquerque did return the following morning to see the wreck site from a beach side(according to the Portuguese guy in this forum)
, with careful study of the chronicles, the beach spot he stood upon can be determined narrowing down the wreck site greatly.The general understanding is that it was off the coast of Sumatra .Hence anyone interested should visit the Lisbon central library and archive for serious reaserach.

TT

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KANACKI.
Your return has started and spured on, an awesome exchange of information and opinion.

Just what we needed.
Much appreciated and enjoyed.

MIKEL
#/;0):-

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so true Kanaki, however most of mine have been solitary due to the circumstances.

your remarks on the Solomon islanders are spot-on. - they still engage in clandestine Kai Kai, although it it is vigorously prosecuted by the gov't.

Reports of the red headed giant cannibals from the interior still filter out'

Saludos a ti, y especially your patient, long suffering, Wife, and hi to any of your crew of the memorable Crow voyage.

Last edited:

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simon,
The Flor de LA Mar continues to be a fascinating treasure story.Not long ago in my trip to Lisbon I enquired about old Portuguese books on the subject in second hand shops,,,,the closest I came was in one old book shop dedicated for marine and history which has a sizable very big volume (sort of encyclopedia) on the history of the ships of that era..but I didn't buy the book or check it.Furthermore I went to the marine museum ,there also no useful material.I believe the best primary source can be checked in the bibliotheque central of Lisbon or archive library...I recall once browsing in treasurenet a Portuguese guy mentioning he read some chronicles on the Flor de LA Mar ,and he was a bit sceptic of some aspects of the legend based on what he read in the chronicles in Lisbon archives,,,,I forgot his whole thought but he claims that
Afonso de Albuquerque returned the following day(after surviving the wreckage) overlooking the wreckage site to attempt retrieval of some of the loot...I believe with a proper research on the primary chronicless in Lisbon,what has been retrieved (if retrieved)and what remains could be determined as the exact amount of the treasure on board has been located from log books of the expedition as well.But I didn't have the chance to enquire for such chronicles in the central library during my visit in Lisbon.And most importantly, if
Afonso de Albuquerque did return the following morning to see the wreck site from a beach side(according to the Portuguese guy in this forum)
, with careful study of the chronicles, the beach spot he stood upon can be determined narrowing down the wreck site greatly.The general understanding is that it was off the coast of Sumatra .Hence anyone interested should visit the Lisbon central library and archive for serious reaserach.

TT

Here are two links from treasurnet where the Portuguese gives online links to the archives and his sceptical take on the legend as well

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/148663-antt-portuguese-archives-online.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/148561-search-flor-do-mar.html

TT

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola TT

There has been much controversy about the For de al Mar. Over the last few years ago a known conman by the name of foster used the Flor De la Mar as a part of an elaborate scam to would be investors via a New Zealand couple. They used Hatcher's name as connected with the project who was famous for the Nanking cargo. he lives on the gold coast retired and he had angry investors contacting him wanting their money back. While Hatcher not exactly an angel got dragged into some thing that had nothing to do with him. The Conman who made off with the investors money was Foster who was hiding out in Vanatu. Hatcher found out where Foster was hiding out and contracted a bounty hunter to track him down and kidnap him however that plan went all pear shape and eventually ended up in the press..

A fine mess and a just one of the many scams associated with shipwreck hunting and treasure hunting.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola TT

There has been much controversy about the For de al Mar. Over the last few years ago a known conman by the name of foster used the Flor De la Mar as a part of an elaborate scam to would be investors via a New Zealand couple. They used Hatcher's name as connected with the project who was famous for the Nanking cargo. he lives on the gold coast retired and he had angry investors contacting him wanting their money back. While Hatcher not exactly an angel got dragged into some thing that had nothing to do with him. The Conman who made off with the investors money was Foster who was hiding out in Vanatu. Hatcher found out where Foster was hiding out and contracted a bounty hunter to track him down and kidnap him however that plan went all pear shape and eventually ended up in the press..

A fine mess and a just one of the many scams associated with shipwreck hunting and treasure hunting.

Kanacki

I should add Peter Foster the con man was eventual arrested last year in Australia after a series of cons caught up with him and trail of wrecked lives behind him.

Kanacki

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should add Peter Foster the con man was eventual arrested last year in Australia after a series of cons caught up with him and trail of wrecked lives behind him.

Kanacki
Thanks Kanaki,,,,that is quite a Hollywood movie style intrigue!...It seems there are a lot activities in TH many of us don't know.Once I categorized the underworld in three,,,the crime/Mafia underworld,,,the espionage/spy underworld,,the secret societies/global elites underworld,,,but now I am beginning to realize I should add a fourth one,,,the Treasure hunting underworld,,:)

TT

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola TT

Treasure hunters don't always keep illustrious company my friend. Some times dealing with the devil is nature of the beast. You walk a fine line friend and some times it gets a little blurred along the way. Money is root of all evil and there are others waiting out there with no morals at all willing to steal all your hard work. That why you keep your trumps close to your chest and always make potential problems not quite sure how to handle you.

The nature of the game is make sure your not expendable.

Kanacki

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki,
99.9% dead right.
Money is not the root of all evil... the love of money, that is the root of all evil.

Money is just money, until someone else loves it enough to take that which was not his for the taking.

#/;0(

Last edited:

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Don Jose you know your time in Solomon's is interesting to.

Have you ever heard in your travels a place called "Novena Del Candelaria"? It is also the resting place of a great treasure of history.

Kanacki

Did I somehow miss this story about the treasure of "Novena Del Candelaria" or did it just get skipped over unintentionally? If you have yet to tell the yarn Kanacki, please do so and thank you in advance!!

All the best-
JA

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other

Kanacki

Seems to be a slow process, but the long arm of the law is starting to prevail, especially with the help of other treasure hunters helping put pressure on those giving it a bad image. Good job to everyone. And thanks to everyone on giving me links and suggestions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread