Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I somehow miss this story about the treasure of "Novena Del Candelaria" or did it just get skipped over unintentionally? If you have yet to tell the yarn Kanacki, please do so and thank you in advance!!

All the best-
JA

My internet playing up tonight. Yes indeed we did sort of get side tracked from Novena Del Candelaria. It was name that given by Mendena on first voyage of discovery across the Pacific. It was loosely interpenetrated on some maps as Candemas shoals the early description of atolls. These atolls was North east of Solomons. Hover due to the mapping at the time and the trouble finding longatude it was not entirely sure which Atoll was Novena Del Candelaria?

On the second Voyage old 1799 version of Mendena's Voyage claimed the 4 ships spread out on the second voyage searching for Novena Del Candelaria was in effect the sailing mark to find the islands of the Solomons he found before in The first voyage of 1567-1569. Mendana and the other ships strayed south and found Santa Cruz, On September 8th 1595 The Santa Ysabel had disappeared, however, and despite searches by the two smaller vessels, it could not be found. The Santa Ysabel who has lost contact the other 3 kept sail went and stuck one of the atolls north east of the Solomons. Which Mendana was trying to established his colony on Santa Cruz completely unaware of his fellow Spaniards struggle as castaways. The Spanish Survivors was try to survive on the remote atolls as castaways.

If this is what allegedly happened the 1871 story telling of ancient Spanish artifact in possession of a local native chief and the curious rock cairn he found with Skeleton with a copper box with jewels and gold doubloons in side worth 40 thousand English pounds at the time, perhaps 50 thousand dollars 1871 prices, quite a treasure. But more important there was a parchment that allegedly claim the Santa Ysabel was wrecked on Novena Del Candelaria?

The problem we have we are not sure which atoll is Novena Del Candelaria? It could be possibly Ontong Java Atoll or even perhaps Nukumanu Atoll that Mendana on his first Voyage discovered on the voyage of 1567-1569. However there is a story of Copra trader on Nukumanu who allegedly found Spanish Doubloons around 1880. Could he have discovered another grave of one the Santa Ysabel's Crew or passengers?

Perhaps it is clue to an amazing discovery of a 16th century Spanish shipwreck of Santa Ysabel? More exciting still perhaps the sands of the atoll hides more treasure.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be a slow process, but the long arm of the law is starting to prevail, especially with the help of other treasure hunters helping put pressure on those giving it a bad image. Good job to everyone. And thanks to everyone on giving me links and suggestions.

Hola Simon

Unfortunately there is long history of scammers and treasure hunting, sadly they go hand in hand with many illicit claims being made in media only turning out to be hoax or debacle. Sadly Each failure makes it harder for any really dedicated researcher to believed by such establishments. Such establishments fear ridicule, embarrassment and most of all scandal.

That why the few who really fly under the radar hardly if ever make public their discovery. Only after they have a rock solid case. A company as governments do deal with individuals and some powerful connections in high places. Even so you present a very good case to broker a deal. And that can take years of careful planing with no guarantees you will pull off the deal. Such is the risk one takes daring to seek my friend.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola you may read earlier mentioning ghost house or skull house. Here is few picture of what a skull house look like. They are a wooden shine. Many of them can be found in the jungle. To mess with them is tabu with natives and might just get your skull added to the collection.

colour_skullhouse_big.jpg

Skull-Island.jpg

Here is a massacre cairn most of these people as Don Jose put Mary Kai Kai, I have been told the Solomon islander were quite fond of Japanese.

Skull-Island-Background1.jpg

skull-island04.jpg

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few people realize the danger Don Jose was in when he was lost in Jungle of the Solomons could of quite easily ended up at the wrong end of the dinner table. Just one of amigos little adventures in that part of the world I enjoyed.

Kanacki

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Kanacki, thanks for sharing.
Here in South America we have shrunken heads…….wander too far off into the remote jungles and……….
There is a common thread between the two in preserving the heads of "enemies"……..
Seems like our Señor don Jose could write a book on his very interesting life experiences………and perhaps our Señor Kanacki as well.

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc, mine pale in comparison with Kanacki.s ( the unholy trio ) there was a reason that he was picked as their political officer - he grew up with the natives and knew their customs - why his improvised Haka dance saved the unholy trio in the early days.

This is also why he has an empathy for them ( the Natives ) even today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently I received an e-m asking e where I considered the safest place for a personal protection firearm, a night table, dresser drawer, or under my pillow. "None of those" I replied,

In WWII there occurred an incident on Attu where the gi's were still locked in their sleeping bags when the Japanese made a Banzai attack and bayoneted many still in their sleeping bags.

So as a rseult I have always slept with a pistol under my blankets about waist level, a practice that has resolved a delicate incident at times, for example ----

I was camped on one of the crests of one of the barrancas bordering the Rio Mayo. It was about 6000 ft amid heavy pine growth. I had finally gotten to sleep with the delightful odor of Pines mixed with the fresh smell of frost when my mule woke me up by signaling something wasn't right.'

I awoke to see a man crouched over heading for me. Since I couldn't possibly get out of the sleeping bag -- I had zipped it up to keep warm , a cheap bag,. in time, I found my S&W and fired of a shot in his general direction, he froze and dropped a machete, one of the curved hook shaped ones, thus giving me time to unzip and get out..

I stirred up the coals and presently had a fire going.

I examined my visitor who had remained in his frozen position- his clothes were filthy and torn, he was unshaven and needed a haircut, skinny, also, later when we were closer, he was badly in need of a bath. A pathetic figure.

I made coffee and offered him one, he apparently didn't believe me at first and it took a second offer before he moved.. He apparently expected to be killed - which 'had' been on my mind.

as we drank the coffee I pondered on just what I was to do with him, 3 days to the nearest authorities or simply shoot him and save the trip?

As I surveyed this pathetic guy I realized that he was probably one of those that fled to the sierras to avoid being arrested. They often did this believing that they can live off of the country - they can, while their ammo holds up, but beyond that they have no idea how to survive.

I eventually came to the conclusion that he had already paid for his crime, and so split my food matches, and COFFEE which I rolled up in my spare shirt and handed to him _ all the while keeping him covered with my pistol.

He didn't believe me at first, but then gradually relaxed. I then gestured with the pistol that it was time for him to get going, he hesitated momentarily then moved off to the shadows. He, reappeared briefly gesturing to his machete, which I nodded yes to. He then scurried off and I never saw him again.

I have often wondered and thought what was going through my mind while I was thinking of a 3 day trip. simply cold bloodily shooting him ( which he deserved according to the mountain code ) or simply letting him go.

I hope that I did the right thing, but I'll always wonder..

P.S. I put out the smoldering in my sleeping bag and repaired te hole.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Don Jose,

A magnanimous decision, but one wonders if you simply turned him loose on some other innocent victims. Do you think he intended to hack you to death in your sleeping bag?

Good story,

Joe

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jose, you may have done more than give him, his life, you may have saved his soul.

Time to think.

#/;0)

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, when I was out sleeping in the desert, I always kept the Python in the bag with me, close to hand. I never had to shoot a hole in my bag, but I did pull it out once in AZ, when a couple of illegals came into the camp after everybody had gone to bed. They froze as well when I sat up with the pistol already in my hand. It was warm, so the bag wasn't zipped. I woke my companions, we gave them some coffee, a little food, some water, and sent them on their way.

:coffee2::coffee2:

JB

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola SF

My Python got me into a lot of trouble, 8 kids later its kept well and truly tucked away.:laughing7:

Seriously I can't imagine the desperation some of these illegals have felt. On the flip side it must feel overwhelming for the locals feeling the flood of people crossing the border not only illegal immigrants but also narcos. I fully understand why people need to be armed in AZ. Anyone not calling out away from the camp site tends to give the impression they are out steal worse murder especially if they creep up.. Protocol in highlands of new Guinea is call out first and wait for a response then move into camp if invited.

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holo Don Jose

There are stories among the islanders of red headed giants in mountain jungles of the Solomon islands. Even a story some Japaneses soldiers being attacked by in ww2. Perhaps just local legends One thing for sure is some of bloodiest battles of the Pacific was fought at Guadalcanal and no doubt one of turning points of Pacific war. So hats off to you Don Amigo as there are not many veterans left these days.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose

Where ever you go in the world you will find various protocols in approaching people. That is why it necessary to learn the culture of any place you travel too. one thing if you take the time to show respect you might be amazed what people will show you.

I suppose you and short finger had no time at all to make a decision? Both I may add made the correct one and earned my respect for level headiness. Shoot first ask question later can get you in all sorts of trouble. regardless with both situation one could of been a local coming to see who was on his property and SF with frightened illegal immigrants dumped by their paid people smugglers.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose ever heard of man called Cowen?

I have a funny yarn for you.

He discovered a sunken Dutch VOC off the coast of Holland. He recovered 2000 gold dutch guilders that sold in 1981 for 900 dollars apiece. As well as other treasure from the wreck. he had an agreement with the Dutch government and the government got 25% and he got 75%. An American collector of coins based in Florida bought some coins off him as well as a bottle of wine that had been almost perfectly preserved in mud of the seafloor. The bottle of wine he brought for about 50k was about 300 odd year old and rare as hens teeth. he carried the bottle on as carry on luggage on the Pan Am flight from London to New York where he was intending to get a connection flight to Miami.

He had a buyer a exquisite wine collector interested is buying the bottle of wine of for an absurd sum. Some thing like 300 k for this bottle. While he was dreaming about the killing he was going to make selling this bottle of booze. However midway through the flight the old bottle of wine which had been fermenting on seafloor for 300 odd years through change of air pressure caused the pressure of the bottle to increase. Somewhere over the Atlantic the 300 year old bottle exploded like a bomb showering passengers and cabin crew of the cabin of the 747 with shattered glass and 300 year wine.

Such is the yarns you pick up off people in your travels.

Kanacki

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose ever heard of man called Cowen?

I have a funny yarn for you.

He discovered a sunken Dutch VOC off the coast of Holland. He recovered 2000 gold dutch guilders that sold in 1981 for 900 dollars apiece. As well as other treasure from the wreck. he had an agreement with the Dutch government and the government got 25% and he got 75%. An American collector of coins based in Florida bought some coins off him as well as a bottle of wine that had been almost perfectly preserved in mud of the seafloor. The bottle of wine he brought for about 50k was about 300 odd year old and rare as hens teeth. he carried the bottle on as carry on luggage on the Pan Am flight from London to New York where he was intending to get a connection flight to Miami.

He had a buyer a exquisite wine collector interested is buying the bottle of wine of for an absurd sum. Some thing like 300 k for this bottle. While he was dreaming about the killing he was going to make selling this bottle of booze. However midway through the flight the old bottle of wine which had been fermenting on seafloor for 300 odd years through change of air pressure caused the pressure of the bottle to increase. Somewhere over the Atlantic the 300 year old bottle exploded like a bomb showering passengers and cabin crew of the cabin of the 747 with shattered glass and 300 year wine.

Such is the yarns you pick up off people in your travels.

Kanacki

That is very funny!
He should have sought an expert advice,so that he could have sold the bottle in Europe with lesser price taking it in his car or train.
TT

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sigh, one less story for the book, but there were others.

Kanacki,did I ever hear of the red haired giants that were cannibals in he Islands, particularity Guadalcanal?,??? you bet. I have posted on them in here. They supposedly are still found in the mt range on the southern side of the Island.

Some encounters with them have been fairly recent.

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, Regarding fitting in, I have always regarded myself as a guest everywhere except the US, I expect to respect their laws, language,and customs. This has helped me gain the confidence of the native people, Notably the Yaqui, the Seri The Lacadones etc.

I treat them basically as equals. Our formal educations may vary, so do our abilities to live under their condition, I consider it as a trade off. I make no distinction between 'white, brown, yellow, or shades of bleck.

Omce I met some indians on the beach on Michoacan, Mexico My partner and I were camped in a small arroyo.facing the beach.

That evening as we were watching the Phosphorescence in the line of the waves when suddenly I heard my partner sorta gasp and noticed two forms outlined by the light from waves, running towards us bent over as if they were avoiding detection.

We witheld our fire until the last possible moment only to discover that they were form the party of Indians that we had met earlier. They were 1/2 drunk, and the reason that they were stooped over was that their arms were loaded with tamales and fresh fruit.

I then explained to them that they had broken their ow protocol,and had almost been shot, they sobered up, and apologized.

We spent sevaral days with the Indians fishing, hunting, then they silently filed away back into the Jungle. We never saw them again.

They had almost gotten themselves shot for doing a good deed.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread