Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TT

Yes most of Paul Gaugin paintings in Tahiti are copies in his museum. But there are much bigger treasures to hunt if you prepared to search. And that is not counting the two legged ones with perfect tanned bodies chatting me up in the bars.:occasion14:

Crow

Thanks Crow,,,here is an amazing recent yarn for you on a lost Gaguin painting saga in Europe ,I don't think the story will conclude
Easily but for now it seems so as suggested in the news,,,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...rship-of-Gauguin-stolen-from-London-flat.html

p.s.are there antique shops in Tahiti?kkk8-)

TT

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Crow, great to hear from you again, and that the little black feathered one is doing well…..
Freedom is in itself a priceless treasure and how many live under the illusion of freedom, blinded to the chains that bind them……….
There is a huge work out there to be discovered, one where it is possible to find freedom…..

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Senor Crow, great to hear from you again, and that the little black feathered one is doing well…..
Freedom is in itself a priceless treasure and how many live under the illusion of freedom, blinded to the chains that bind them……….
There is a huge work out there to be discovered, one where it is possible to find freedom…..

Hello Doc

I am perhaps more lucky than I can imagine? However it took almost a lifetime to dig that proverbial tunnel to freedom. It is easy to take everything for granted, but the long hard road left scars of reality long and deep. To remind me that freedom is precious beyond monetary value. A priceless gift that can be taken away quicker than it can be earned.

The next few months will be a roller coaster of emotions regardless of the legal outcome. Such is the fate of those who role the dice in a high stakes project.

Crow

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
My black friend I took a recess from TNet right after you and would only pop in to see if you were back every few months. I have really enjoyed reading your posts through the years and welcome you back. Times are tight in the oil patch where I work and I had to reduce expenses so instead of drinking the higher dollar Kentucky Bourbon I started drinking Old Crow. My dad drank Crow. I made the change about the same time I took the recess from TNet and I think the Crow name influenced my decision.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My black friend I took a recess from TNet right after you and would only pop in to see if you were back every few months. I have really enjoyed reading your posts through the years and welcome you back. Times are tight in the oil patch where I work and I had to reduce expenses so instead of drinking the higher dollar Kentucky Bourbon I started drinking Old Crow. My dad drank Crow. I made the change about the same time I took the recess from TNet and I think the Crow name influenced my decision.
Hello Scar

Thanks for the kind words. I just got back to boat from lunch with a few beers and its stinking hot. I must admit I have a soft spot for Kentucky bourbon too. But alas when times are tough resorted to my namesake. Its my pleasure you have enjoyed my posts as they are intended to share experiences of adventure.

Crow

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2::coffee2:Rember, If your not in touch with your Spirit,then there is no past or future, only the present,and what you are thinking of right now. np:cat:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Crow…….a lifetime of scars……ya, sort of understand that…..but I am grateful for the wisdom that has come from the scars……..
For me, it has taken about 10 years to recover from the last…..but at least I was retired and allowed freedom to optimize my life……..
Still, while we can recover, optimize, the scars and burden remain………for me, I am eternally grateful the nightmares have mostly stopped……
Senor Crow, you are blessed with a young wife and child……that helps much in remaining youthful…..perhaps with an occasional grandpa nap…..
Vaya con Dios mi amigo

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Jose I have many more stories connected to those scars to tell.

Some times in pursuit of fortune and glory can be fatal. There is many a time I can come back defeated battered more dead than alive.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crow, Defeated ? only on that project. :occasion14: The scars are only in the making of a man, a true treasure hunter.

Where was I,? I had nodded off in the hammock. Its very hot today and I have adopted the ways of the natives that do not go out in heat of the day.

Each defeat is a test of mettle and determination. Each defeat is a learning curve and only those with the hunger will have the determination to press on. I remember once marooned in middle of nowhere on desert island with no food or water. Its total shock to System in body and mind. Water was crucial in survival. I remember times I had to drink my own piss to stave off dehydration. Eat things that would make people vomit to survive.

Strangely I remember how my body adapted to slow starvation as it consumed 2 third's of my body weight. I remember the extreme hunger pains, the dehydration and small victories of making things from nothing from whatever found around me. Suddenly the most precious things in my world was the most ordinary of items in Normal world we would consider throw away.

And Isolation of being thousands of miles away from the next human being with no Idea if or when you ever going to be rescued. The mind games one goes through. Such is some of trials and tribulations one some times find themselves in when they push themselves beyond the levels of endurance. You know many will never face those challenges in their life time we as people in general have become accustomed to having food and water available, light at a flick of switch. and take all those luxuries' without a second thought.

And yes I gained my scars along a long rocky road, each one can tell you story.

Such is obsession for fortune and glory my friends.

Crow

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Hello Don Jose I have many more stories connected to those scars to tell.

Some times in pursuit of fortune and glory can be fatal. There is many a time I can come back defeated battered more dead than alive.

Crow

Señor Crow-
Would you mind giving us a few stories of how you obtained certain "scars"! Obviously I'm not looking for the private/intimate details of the particular cache you were looking for at the time of course, simply the circumstances that lead to the "scars" themselves. I.e., climbing a steep wall/ledge of rock and sliding backwards, the circumstances that lead to you being marooned on a deserted island, etc.

IMHO Stories of others survival situations can be helpful/useful to others.

MORE YARNS PLEASE!!....And thank you in advance!

All the best-
JA

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, I am surprised that you didn't know that just above high water mark you can dig down and the first water you hit will be pysiologically useable, certainly not too palatable but defininately better than recycled Urine.

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crow, I am surprised that you didn't know that just above high water mark you can dig down and the first water you hit will be psyiologically useable, certainly not too palatable but defininately better than recycled Urine.

Yes indeed I did know. But on the islands are so very hot to dig a well which takes time energy and the body loses precious fluid, Salt Water pushes though coral sand and in the center of the atoll land water can be found. Brackish but indeed drinkable.

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Señor Crow-
Would you mind giving us a few stories of how you obtained certain "scars"! Obviously I'm not looking for the private/intimate details of the particular cache you were looking for at the time of course, simply the circumstances that lead to the "scars" themselves. I.e., climbing a steep wall/ledge of rock and sliding backwards, the circumstances that lead to you being marooned on a deserted island, etc.

IMHO Stories of others survival situations can be helpful/useful to others.

MORE YARNS PLEASE!!....And thank you in advance!

All the best-
JA
I second J.A.A , Crow,,,please throw some first hand yarns for the winter..
TT

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
K Crow you're forgiven. :laughing7::laughing7::occasion14:

Ah merci beacoup monsuire Jose.

TT and JJA I do have few yarns for you. As for some of those scars some was from some unusual injuries.

Once stranded in a abandoned coconut plantation we found abandoned ruins of a settlement. We had no way to sharpen a very blunt machete we found. It was not Sharpe enough to cut through a coconut. Which we needed for water and the coconut meat. I found some 2 stroke fuel and left over whippersnapper some rusted left over tools and a grinding disk for a angle grinder. I managed to clean up the whipper snipper and got it working and changed the fitting to accommodate a grinding disk in which we used the whipper sniper in slow rev,s to sharpen and put a sharp edge on the blade. However we got a little too enthusiastic with reving the whipper snipper and the grinding disk exceeded its amount of revolutions and disintegrated in which shrapnel from the disk when through my arm in two places.

But hey we did enough to sharpen the Machete. A bit of bush medicine I was good as new. But the scars on my left arm remind me of the story. But when in desperate situation some times you resort to desperate measures to come back from one disaster to another and turn it into victory.

Interesting enough I never gave up on the Whipper snipper as a I converted it to a makeshift boat engine for small boat. We had found a vey small flat bottom tin boat with a few holes that we plugged the holes with hand cut wooden pegs by a machete we had sharpened with the whipper snipper
. There was a bracket on the back of the boat enough to hold inplace the whipper snipper. Held in reverse it acted like a boat engine. I had fashioned a propeller from a piece a metal I had found via cutting out the shape via a single hacksaw blade found in the dirt and a hammer and chisel. It was rough but it worked. Enough to get us across a shark infested lagoon.

As once famously said necessity was the mother of invention.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread