Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter - Page 11
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 11 of 609 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast
Like Tree51008Likes

Thread: Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    1031 times

Re: Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

An old woman lived with a family just up the road from us when I was a kid . I visited there often
    to play with the neighbor kids . In the evening time , if she'd had a nip or two , she would tell us stories of her days in the rough mountains of central WV .
    My favorite was of her time as a hired girl for a wealthy family in an area where most folks were very poor . The patriarch was a randy old bird who once gave her a gold double eagle to put his hand under her skirt . She kept it on a thong around her neck and would show it to us . Her buryin
    money , she called it .
    A young boy brought word one evening that a group of rough men were coming that night with the intent of robbing them .
    The old man went out at dusk dark with an Arbuckle coffee can of double eagles and was gone about 45 minutes .
    Later the men came and a short firefight ensued before they were driven off . The excitement proved too much for the old man and he dropped dead from a heart attack .
    No one ever located where he hid the coins .
    As coincidence would have it , years later I married a girl from the same general area . My father in law knew the old lady and confirmed her story . The homesite lay some miles from his place in what was now trackless forest land .
    Real of Tayopa likes this.
    Wolfpack forever

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    1031 times

I took a weeks vacation and hauled two horses I was breaking to my fil's .Rode miles of forest land from dawn to dusk in search of the place .
    Riding down a game path in the silent forest one morning a sound stopped me dead in my tracks .
    It was the unmistakable double shuck of a winchester behind me . Hands in the air , I began answering the questions of who was I , what was my business there , who was I staying with . The
    wind shifted while I gave my answers and I caught the unmistakable odor of mash fermenting .
    I was in deep do do cause I'd ridden up on a whiskey still . Poor etiquette on my part .
    Luckily the man and my fil were friends . Instead of becoming shot I was invited to have a drink .
    The cold blue eyes in that old man's face left me with no doubt that I had been very close to meeting my maker .
    After a few drinks of tolerable whiskey and an admonishment to not talk about the still the old man told me how to find the homesite . He also confirmed the story of the can of double eagles .
    I made several trips in there over the next few years searching . Made fast friends with the old man when I packed in a couple loads of sugar and corn for him .
    Wolfpack forever

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11925 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

..SOOOOOOOOOOOOO trucker yer a bootlegger eh? always suspected that there was something odd about you hehheeheh will post a story about that here in Mexico shortly, just for you .. I had forgotten about it.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    1031 times

Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOO trucker yer a bootlegger eh? always suspected that there was something odd about you hehheeheh will post a story about that here in Mexico shortly, just for you ..

Don Jose de La Mancha
    My friend ,
    My bootlegger roots go way back . Maternal grandfather was a Republican storekeeper in Democrat
    Carroll County , VA . Never sold sugar and mason jars to a Republican back when those purchases had to be registered for the revenuers . (He signed it all out to Democrats .) All my Mom's brothers
    'worked for the state' for a time over blockade whiskey . I've made and hauled , myself .
    I instantly knew the precarious position I was in when that winchester levergun cycled . Sittin in the middle of a greenbroke horse with a ready rifle directly behind me was no place for me to try my fast
    draw with the .357 mag Ruger I was carrying . It was 'pucker and negotiate' time .
    Wolfpack forever

us
    Jan 2005
    Choctaw Beach Florida
    Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
    1966 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp you have had a very interesting and exciting life. Do you have any memory's of WW2 that you could share? Ever thought of writing a book? I would buy it.
    God and country.

us
    The Pool Table Is My Yard

Jul 2008
    WV
    Fisher F2
    50 times

We had just Unloaded the 10' jon boat dad borrowed on the bank of the river. (On this trip were Poorhunter, Dad, Brother, And Clumsy terrified of snakes Tracy- same guy in above story.) We had to slide this boat down a bank, At least 20-25ft to the edge of the river. It was very steep. The boat was set into the edge of the river, And us "Boys" to dad, carried all the gear down to load it into the boat for our trip across the river. While my brother hooked the trolling motor to the back of the boat, We made sure the truck was locked and we had everything needed. My brother had the motor hooked up and tested it, We were ready to go. Tracy grabs his hands full Tackle box, fishing poles, Bait bucket. Now dad tells him BOY when you step in the edge of the boat stoop down so you can balance yourself, What does he do. steps in the Boat, Trips on the seat and goes right over the side face first into the river. We were laughing so hard it took a minute to get him relief. Man if you were there you would be wizzing down yer leg laughing. After we got him regained to the bank we got the gear loaded back up, Only lost half our bait from the bucket, and went fishing.
    I think back on it alot of times. I think Dad took him along with us alot just for instances like these I have told. This man is now around 40 years old and still as clumsy as then.
    More to come:If you want.......Poorhunter78
    Theres A Place For All Creatures..Right Next To The Taters And Gravy..

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11925 times

Hola poor hunter, you posted --> More to come:If you want.......Poorhunter78

You are kidding no? post away or I will practice my voodo on your effigy. (pins in you know where snicker)

Don Jose de La Mancha

us

Jul 2008
    WV
    Fisher F2
    50 times

OOOuch, OOOhhhh, OOOuch, Ok My friend! Here you go.
    This is a tune from where the last one left off, Poorhunter, Dad, same brother and a different family friend, Dave. Many years before the other story.

We had put the boat in the river, Yes same steep bank and all. We would beach the jonny about 1/4 mile upstream from the lock&dam. Then carry all our gear down to the dam and fish off the cement wall below. All 4 of us got to our honeyhole and unloaded our gear, The thunder began a cracking, lightning, Then Yes the skies opened up on us. It started easy then really opened up, Raining so hard yuh could barely see across the river to the other bank. We scurried up across the RR tracks to seek shelter in the bush. It didn't let up for at least 30-45 minutes, I thought we would never get a line in the water. After it finally let up, What seemed like an Eternity. The sun slowly poked out and the storm passed us. We bagan catching fish, ( like fishin at a hatchery) Stripe bass, Drum, Walleye, Longnose gar, Then as the dark set in we started catching Flathead catfish, Channel cat's. As the night drug on the fishing slowed around 11:30pm Dad said " Lets get outta here BOY'S". So we packed up our gear, Dad and I had to drag the stringer I think we had 13-14 catfiish. Weighing bout 40-50 lb a real lug for a 1/4 mile walk carrying all the gear you can grasp in your hands. While dad and I walked way behind Brother and Dave were I'll say 150 yards ahead. We heard them hollerin and talkin, Then we here this loud "PLUNK". as dad and I made it to the landing spot here is my brother with his 9' saltwater rod reeling in our boat. He was lucky to snag it. The storm raised the river enuff that the boat floated out towards the middle of the river. Dad said "Boy I'm glad we left when we did, If we had stayed a little while longer that damn boat would have came over the spillway. Then we would have all been FK'd." Still today can't figure out how that boat got untied.

This spot we fished, you had to go above the lock & dam. Put the boat in, go across the river then walk down below the dam to fish. The 1st gate (lock) was a spillway, then 5 gates or (locks) in between and a spillway on the other side of the dam. But it was fenced in, No access on that side. Unless you would go several hundred yards below to fish off the bank at the waters edge.
    This dam is about a 10 mile drive from the main county road, Used to be the only route in, Unless by motor boat.
    Poorhunter
    Truckin can you guess by the description Which Lock & dam this is?

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    1031 times

Opekisa ?
    Wolfpack forever

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11925 times

good one poor guy, you were very lucky. but I noticed that we weren't invited to a fish fry Shall I insert that pin guys?

Hmmm you mentioned -->Still today can't figure out how that boat got untied. lousy landlubber, snicker, frankly you were durn lucky my friend.

You never mentioned what you were using for bait?

what was the biggest one?

Don Jose de La Macnha the eternally hungry one.

us

Jul 2008
    WV
    Fisher F2
    50 times

Quote Originally Posted by truckinbutch
    Opekisa ?
    Oooh! so very close, If I were to float from Opekiska, as the current takes me after a day or two i will arrive here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hilde_aerial.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	540731  

us

Jul 2008
    WV
    Fisher F2
    50 times

Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
    good one poor guy, you were very lucky. but I noticed that we weren't invited to a fish fry Shall I insert that pin guys?

Hmmm you mentioned -->Still today can't figure out how that boat got untied. lousy landlubber, snicker, frankly you were durn lucky my friend.

You never mentioned what you were using for bait?

what was the biggest one?

Don Jose de La Macnha the eternally hungry one.

So sorry my Friend, Please no pokes I'm beggin He He

We use for bait: Bluegill or Sunfish, and Creek Chubs as our livebait arsenal. They kinda resemble a baby largemouth. With a trout size hook, and a piece of worm, I can fill the bait bucket all too quickly. Then usually Groundhog liver. ( whistle pig, woodchuck ).

You are welcome anytime myfriend to join me at the poorhunter shack for a fishfry. If you ever want jus let me know for directions? If I were to show you a picture of fresh fried? That would only Anger your Appetite!

One of the biggest flatheads we had that nite was caught by My dad he got this citation for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new camera 002.JPG 
Views:	467 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	540744  

us
    Mar 2011
    N/W ARKANSAS
    FISHER
    9379 times

HELLO,MY OLD FRIENDS.

I SAID THAT I WOULD POST MORE FROM MY BOOK, AND I HAVE GOTTEN SO BUSY ON MY OWN THREAD THAT I LOST TRACK OF TIME. I HAVE TAKEN TIME TO READ AND CATCH UP ON THIS ONE. THERE HAVE BEEN MANY GREAT TALES TOLD HERE SINCE I WAS HERE LAST. THEY ARE FUN TO READ AND HAVE GIVEN ME THE CAUSE TO SLOW DOWN ON THE RESEARCH FOR A WHILE.
    THIS PART OF THE BOOK PREDATES THE OTHER BY SEVERAL MONTHS, IT STARTS OUT ON THE LAST DAY THAT JIM AND I WOULD WORK FROM THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN. WE WOULD CONTINUE BY WORKING OUR WAY UP, FROM THE BOTTOM.

DON JOSE, I AM SENDING YOU A P.M. THAT EXPLAINS A LITTLE MORE THAT I KNOW THAT YOU
    WILL UNDERSTAND THAT MAKES THIS STORY MUCH BETTER,, UNFORTUNATLY I CANNOT PULISH THAT PART, AND I REALLY WISH THAT I COULD!

Jim had made contact with the man that owned most of the property going down the rest of the mountain and had drawn up an agreement for all of us to sign, and when needed, we could meet with him and make plans for exploring the mountainside below the bluff. This was going to work well with Dave because he had accepted an offer on his property from a man that lived out of state. He had told the buyer what we were doing and the buyer granted us permission, by proxy, to continue with our studies. The new buyer had nothing to lose and might gain a share of a silver mine. He was buying it as an investment for his family, as he was in poor health.

The timing of all of this worked out well for Jim and I, and we were satisfied with our documentation for this area. That last day of field work ended on a sour note. As we were driving out from Dave’s place for the last time, we were stopped by a half dozen armed men, good ole boys, with their trucks blocking the county road and their weapons laid out as if they just happened to be hunting from that spot. The man that was closest to us walked out to make sure that we didn’t use the ditch. Jim moved his pistol into easy reach, but still out of sight, and stopped the truck so that the lone stranger had to walk up next to him to talk.

Jim told me to stay calm, and again my first thought was “You want me to do what?!” I was able to sit still and keep my mouth shut, but staying calm flew out the window long before the truck stopped moving. I was the only guy there that didn’t have a gun! I felt like a twelve point buck standing on that guys back porch in the middle of January. I was playing scenes in my head of a little kid, tucked in the saddle behind John Wayne as he rode his horse across the screen shooting all the bad guys, while all I could do was hold on for dear life.
    Staying calm was not an option. Staying still and quiet was all I could do.
    While we waited for the stranger to make his way to the door, Jim kept the truck in gear, ready to move at the first sign of trouble. The stranger leaned against the truck and asked what we were doing up there on his mountain. Jim calmly replied that we were on a county road and we were on the property that was at the top of the mountain, at the end of the county road, and with permission. To which the stranger said we were a long way from town and that the neighbors had to watch out for each other, and that they felt that they needed to make sure that we weren’t stealing anything from the neighbors.

Jim told him something about old Indian trails and rock carvings. This seemed to satisfy him and he returned to his truck and Jim drove through the middle of them, slowly, memorizing their faces. At some point after all of them were in the rearview mirror I inhaled. I knew right then that this was not going to happen again like this. By sundown the following Wednesday I was once again, exercising my second amendment rights. I had needed to get a pistol since the bear sign spotting and now it was done.

Jim and I were done with driving the long dirt road around the mountain to get to that bluff, but not for the previous statements. The mine was not to be found above the bluff. The information from there was still valid and accurate, but the work was now waiting down below the bluff, and best accessed from the valley below. We still didn’t know how far or near it would be. We only knew that we were going to start form the valley below and I had already extended the line on the map a few hundred miles to the north.
    ....JESUS IS LORD.
    ...................THE BIBLE IS GOD'S WORD.
    .................................. HEAVEN IS MY REAL HOME.

THAT'S JUST THE WAY I WAS RAISED TO SEE THE WORLD.

#/;0)~

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11925 times

Gracias mi amigo poor guy, may take you up on the fish fry if they ever get my 747 out of overhaul, err mule.. sigh.

That photograph certainly shows some beautiful country, complete with fishing.

Don Jose de La Mnacha

p.s. More

us
    Mar 2011
    N/W ARKANSAS
    FISHER
    9379 times

I AGREE WITH DON JOSE.
    BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY!!! NOT BAD FISHIN' EITHER!!!

PROSPECTORMIKEL
    ....JESUS IS LORD.
    ...................THE BIBLE IS GOD'S WORD.
    .................................. HEAVEN IS MY REAL HOME.

THAT'S JUST THE WAY I WAS RAISED TO SEE THE WORLD.

#/;0)~

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links