All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conn danny: You will experience the same emotion when you hit your first good treasure, you are then ruined for life. as for Taoypa, that has been mine for a few years now. That deposit does exist and I know where it is, but cannot touch it yet sniffff

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hombre de Plata, you have jumped the gun. I will eventually get to the episiode where Castro's agent tried to recruit me to fly PBY-5A's from the Yucatan to Cuba in the 50's. you might enjoy it.

Don Jose de La Mancha

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening, all,

I think most treasure hunters have been born too early in history. I suspect that we might have all met up back 100 years or so ago, or during the old gold rush days.

Jose is right - the first good find, and you will be singing the old "gold fever" song.

Of course, along with looking for treasures, goes the camping - and, sometimes - you just don't always get the "home-cooking" you are used to.

Which brings to mind, and little "camping" adventure that Roy and I took, oh, some 30 years ago, now. We were heavily packed - back when we
could handle the extra weight - and had brought some macaroni and cheese, complete with canned milk (instead of dry), since are trip was not going to be many, many miles, and we figured we could afford the extra weight for the few days we would be out.

Well, evening came, and Roy (who is a GREAT camp cook), made the macaroni and cheese for dinner (first, we love it, and second, it would lighten the load that we realized was heavier than we had planned, and was getting heavier by the hour).

We enjoyed a big pot of great macaroni and cheese that evening - in fact, he had done it so well, he had even managed to get the top cheese a little crispy - something we also both love. So, we sat in the glow of the fire and ate, and drank coffee.

Well, we couldn't finish it all, and being that it was chilly in the evening, we just figured that we would have it for breakfast, because it wouldn't spoil.

Up and around the next morning, after coffee, we went and got our pot of mac and cheese. Only to discover that the crispy cheese that we had enjoyed the night before was - in fact - leaves, twigs, ash from the fire and a few odds and ends of what was left of some unidentified flying creatures that had dive-bombed its way into the pot the night before.

We didn't eat breakfast that morning. And, we now try to have dinner when we can still see what is going in the pot :happy2:

Beth

Beth

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON JOSE,
THANK YOU FOR THE INVITATION TO POST SOME OF MY TREASURE SEEKING EXPERIENCES.
AS SOON AS TIME ALLOWS, I WILL SHARE WITH YOU AND ALL, SOME TALES, AND IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO COPY A FEW PAGES FROM THE BOOK THAT I AM TRYING TO AUTHOR.

IT IS IRONIC THAT I AM HERE ON THIS THREAD, AS IT WAS FROM YOUR SHARING FROM YOUR VAST KNOLEDGE OF SPANISH MINE S/S AND THE DISCOVERY OF SOMEONE ELSE'S ERRONIOUS RESEARCH THAT HAS STOPPED ME FROM WRITING ANY FARTHER (TEMPORARILY) ON THE BOOK.

THAT WAS A LONG SENTENCE... BUT IT EXPLAINS ALOT.

I WILL PM YOU BEFORE I START SO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEANT.

HH
PROSPECTORMIKEL :coffee2: :coffee2:

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don
While this post may be old, it is new to me and very interesting. There is not much going on in Connecticut pertaining to large treasures. I also enjoy reading about the treasure at White Sand Army base in NM.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I CONSIDER IT AN HONOR TO HAVE ONE OF MY MENTORS, INVITE ME TO POST ANY OF MY HUMBLE TREASURE SEEKING STORIES ON HIS TREASURE THREAD.

SO THANK YOU AGAIN DON JOSE.

SEVERAL YEARS AGO MY BEST FRIEND AND I WERE WORKING SEVERAL TRAILS AND SIGNS IN NW ARKANSAS. A NEW FRIEND OF MINE FROM WORK SHARED A DRAWING OF A SIGN CARVED IN A ROCK NEAR HIS HOME IN THE OZARKS. IT WAS A SIMPLE DRAWING THAT GOT MY ATTENTION AND THEN HE SET THE HOOK BY TELLING ME THAT THE STONE WAS AS BIG AS A TRUCK HOOD.
JIM AND I WERE ON THE SEARCH THE NEXT DAY. WE HAD A GREAT MANY EXPERIENCES OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL YEARS AS WE SEARCHED FOR OUR GREAT SILVER MINE.

IF THIS ATTEMPT WORKS, THERE WILL BE A FEW PAGES FROM THE MANUSCRIPT COPIED BELOW HERE.

HOPEFULLY THIS WORKS...

:coffee2:
PROSPECTORMIKEL

With my feet back on solid ground again, I turned my sights to the east and began climbing. It was still a battle to move forward through the thick under brush, inching my way only a few feet at a time. I made note of how far off from the work line that I was at all time. I stayed as close to the line as possible. I thought I had found a break, an actual break in the under brush, just a few yards east of my position. I knew I would lose a little ground by using the trail, but I would gain distance and time. Shortly after making the move, the trail started getting steeper and narrower. The closer I got to the top, the thicker the brush got, and just as I was ready to give in to its narrowing space I found a flat spot large enough to stand upright. I raised my head and to my tired eyes, standing right in front of my face, the vertical face of the bluff. I started to call Jim when I noticed scratch marks in the dirt at the edge of the stone face. They appeared to be small animal scratch marks, but taking a closer look, I realized that they were small bear cub’s scratch marks. I got very quiet and waited to see if they were near by. I was soon rewarded for my patience. Just to my left, and just out of my sight, I could hear the cubs scuffle and move around. I could see that they had probably been digging for grub worms; however I didn’t hear the mother bear at all. My heart pounded within my chest so hard that I could barely listen for the mother bear.

It was only a few seconds until I was able to hear her. She let out a single snort. It was loud and clear. I knew I had to move. She was off to my right, which put me in great danger. I had my pistol strapped to my belt. I started to pull it out when I realized that Velcro wasn’t the best choice that I had when buying a holster. The very first crackle of the Velcro sounded like a tree was snapping off at the ground. I had to leave, and as fast as I could do quietly. I had only one way to go, back down that narrow steep path. I started out slowly and quietly, but that didn’t last long with fear pushing me and gravity pulling me. If not for the brush giving me a handhold to grab onto, I might have turned into a human snowball. I was probably about thirty yards away by the time I gained control and found solid ground. Then, and only then, I felt safe in removing my pistol from my holster. I nearly fired off a shot when Jim keyed up his radio to ask what all of the noise was. I explained it to him while gaining distance between me and the mother bear. We still had not seen them, but we knew they were there. At least I had no more doubts about them. I put the safety on and placed the gun back in the holster. I knew that I couldn’t stop that mother bear if I had been forced to shoot. It was just a big noise maker as far as she was concerned, but all the same I felt better just having it just in case.

IT WORKED!!! I HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT.

:coffee2:
PROSPECTORMIKEL

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do realize that - if you are in grizzly country - you WANT to make noise - so they know you are there?

Also, If you are in grizzly country, and you are carrying a sidearm - before you go, you will want to file off the sights.

This is so that it doesn't hurt quite so much when the bear shoves it up your butt!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

To add a little to the "bare" facts of "bear" stories, we have LOTS of those (unfortunately), so hold on, and I will bring you the first of many.

Back in aught 7 (not really) - back in 1977, I think, we were living in a house we called "the little house". It was a little house, with a complete garage under it - but, above ground, so the house was high up in the air. It didn't have much land to it, but, we made our garden, had our chickens and goats and the whole nine yards.

Well, that was the year we learned never to buy unmedicated chicken feed. Our chickens game down with a disease, and we lost quite a few before we got it stopped. Since we had coyotes, etc., we kind of just chucked the dead ones away from the house - and they disappeared by the next morning.

One night, we both worked second shift, then, we came home at 2 am, normal time, and did chores (milking, feeding, etc.). Then, we went upstairs. A short while later, the animals all went ballistic. We put the porch light on, but we could see nothing. Roy got the flashlight out, and went down to see what was going on. Low and behold, someone's black dog got loose, the broken chain still hanging around its neck, jingling, jingling, jingling. So, Roy went down, and called it three or four times - figuring we would catch it and return it to the neighbor the following day.
That son of a gun started coming to Roy, and then growled at him. Ungrateful beast. So, Roy got a big old thick stick, and decided he was just going to catch the dog and be done with it. Roy crossed the road, and went up to the dog, and it growled at him, and lunged at him. So, Roy wacked it with the stick, just as I put the floodlight on. Well, the big old stick broke, and Roy came hauling hinny towards the house, as the big black dog with her 2 cubs chased after him. She did turn around and go back across the road, however.

Round 2 in a day or two..................................................

Beth

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MRS. O,
THANKS FOR THE NOTE ABOUT THE SIGHTS.... THEY ARE SMOOTH, HOWEVER; THE HAND GRIP IS MORE LIKE A STUDED SNOW TIRE!

THE BEAR STORY IS JUST ONE OF THE MANY DANGERS THAT HAPPENED TO US OVER THE YEARS AS WE SEARCHED FOR THE MINE. THERE WERE MANY GOOD TIMES AS WELL.

THE STORY WITH ALL OF IT'S UPS AND DOWNS, WILL NOT GO UN-REMEMBERED BY MY FAMILY
AND IF I CAN FIND DOCUMENTATION OR COLABORATION ON A FEW S/S I WILL BE ABLE TO FINISH AND PUBLISH THE BOOK.

WHEN DONE I HOPE ALL OF MY NEW-FOUND FRIENDS HERE ON TN WILL ENJOY READING IT. THE ENDING WILL BE A SHOCKER. I PROMISE.

I LOOK FORWARD TO READING THE REST OF YOUR STORY. IT'S ONE OF THOSE OLD TIME CLIFF-HANGERS.

:coffee2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok - just so you know Mike - that WAS a joke!!

Could you do me a big favor - stop writing in all capital letters - its difficult for me to read. (old eyes).

Beth

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Round 2: Always keep the camera going.

Attachments

• job opening 1.jpg
    job opening 1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,723
  • job opening 2.jpg
    job opening 2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,739
  • job opening 3.jpg
    job opening 3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,731
  • job opening 4.jpg
    job opening 4.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,710
  • job opening 4.jpg
    job opening 4.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,733
  • job opening 3.jpg
    job opening 3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,711
  • job opening 2.jpg
    job opening 2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,748
  • job opening 1.jpg
    job opening 1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,766

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Beth, is that Roy in those pictures...wow

Do all of the stories have to be hunting related? There are many stories out there aren't there. I have one or two tales to tell, probably not so fiercesome, but still a tale.. :coffee2:

Over to you Don Jose it's your thread. :read2:

'U'

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Beth am I to understand that oro wouldn't stand in front of me to protect me from an onory female? As for being the camp cook hmm eerr, ah, well, where is the can opener?? Can you honestly vouch for his trail coffee?

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unicorn mi britland luv, post away. this about misc adventures and experiences of treasure hunters. You are most certainly included.

It isn't all about shooting varmints that are trying to steal your new found treasure, but the many experiences leading up to it..

I am being a bit too gory and violent in some of my posts because I had promised to post them to encourage a Tayopa hunter from
sheep country to post his adventures in Alaska and the desert west with Beth.

In a bit I will post more on the "perils of Jose". Don Jose that is.

Don Jose de La Mancha

K

Kentucky Kache

PROSPECTORMIKEL, I just wanted to let you know that you are an excellent writer. I can tell you know how it's done. :thumbsup:

I have a treasure story that I've been working on for a long time, on and off. If I ever finish it, maybe I'll post it here, or send some of you a copy of the book. Hey, stranger things have happened.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KENTUCKY KACHE,
THANK YOU FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT. OTHER THAN A FICTION BOOK THAT I STARTED TWENTYFIVE YEARS AGO (ONLY TWO CHAPTERS FINISHED), THIS HAS BEEN THE ONLY WRITING THAT I HAVE EVER DONE. I CAN'T TAKE ALL OF THE CREDIT, MY WIFE PROOF READS FOR ME, IN PART DUE TO MY EYES HAVE TROUBLE READING THE SMALL LETTERS AND I FIND IT NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO CAPTURE ALL OF MY OWN ERRORS.

THIS STORY IS TRUE AND I LIVED IT, SO THE WRITING IS ,TO ME, LIKE TELLING IT TO A FRIEND. IT IS ALSO IMPORTANT FOR ME TO FINISH, FOR REASONS THAT WILL BE TOLD IN THE BOOK. IT'S NOT TOO HARD TO DO THINGS THAT YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT....
SO SIT DOWN AND JUST TELL IT LIKE IT HAPPENED. SOON YOU WILL SEE THE STORIES FLOW.
GOOD LUCK. AND JUST KEEP ON TYPING.

THANK YOU
MIKEL

K

Kentucky Kache

PROSPECTORMIKEL said:
KENTUCKY KACHE,
THANK YOU FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT. OTHER THAN A FICTION BOOK THAT I STARTED TWENTYFIVE YEARS AGO (ONLY TWO CHAPTERS FINISHED), THIS HAS BEEN THE ONLY WRITING THAT I HAVE EVER DONE. I CAN'T TAKE ALL OF THE CREDIT, MY WIFE PROOF READS FOR ME, IN PART DUE TO MY EYES HAVE TROUBLE READING THE SMALL LETTERS AND I FIND IT NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO CAPTURE ALL OF MY OWN ERRORS.

THIS STORY IS TRUE AND I LIVED IT, SO THE WRITING IS ,TO ME, LIKE TELLING IT TO A FRIEND. IT IS ALSO IMPORTANT FOR ME TO FINISH, FOR REASONS THAT WILL BE TOLD IN THE BOOK. IT'S NOT TOO HARD TO DO THINGS THAT YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT....
SO SIT DOWN AND JUST TELL IT LIKE IT HAPPENED. SOON YOU WILL SEE THE STORIES FLOW.
GOOD LUCK. AND JUST KEEP ON TYPING.

THANK YOU
MIKEL

Same here, my story actually happened to me. No treasure yet.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More.......More........

Reminds me of times sitting around the camp fire with my grandpa and his buddies while out fox hunting listening to one yarn after another waiting to hear the hounds tree a fox.

cat.gif

Attachments

• cat.gif
    cat.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 2,069

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jose,

You know, I don't know for sure - I know he keeps telling me that he doesn't have to be able to outrun a bear, he just has to be able to out run me...... :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :coffee2:

Beth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread