Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I posted the wisecrack, above, it was a poorly thought out attempt to get folks telling stories.

This thread IS NOT, NOR SHALL IT EVER BE A COMPETITION!!!

While meaning well, it was in direct opposition to this thread’s very existence.

#/;0{>*~

Well, Michael, from what I understand, this thread is supposed to be sort of a group around a campfire telling stories, and, in my experience, there is always a little competition in that scenario. Of course, in this thread, as in the campfire tales, there are no real losers, as long as the stories are good, so that part of your post might have been a little incorrect. But we won't hold that against you. Other than that, have at it. We all have tales to tell (either I’m running out of tales, or my memory is failing, not sure which), some better than others, but all worthy of the telling.

JB

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I did a copy before posting as it took to long to type, so I had to log on again and then did a paste. See I can get smarted even though I have gotten older. LOL

I’m old, too, but I learned that with my second post. Now, if I am replying to someone’s post, I copy that post, log out, write my reply, then log back in, copy what I wrote, and I’m done. Saves a lot of frustration (and typos as well, although some of them still slip through).

JB

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hey over 409,000 views of this thread, we have a lot of folks that like to read the stories and experiences but won't share any! So lets start pitching in, you readers that are being stingy with your own stories. :tongue3: :thumbsup: :occasion14: :read2: :coffee: :evil5:

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Oroblanco,
Your dog avatar reminds me of a joke:
(Anyone have the guts to show this to their partner? I certainly don't.)
original

This is Lexi, she’s an 8 week-old German Shepherd.

I bought Lexi as a surprise for my wife, but it turns out she is allergic to long haired dogs, so we are now looking to find her a new home.

She is 65 years old, an attractive and caring woman who drives, is a great cook, and keeps a clean house.
Don.......

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oroblanco,
Your dog avatar reminds me of a joke:
(Anyone have the guts to show this to their partner? I certainly don't.)
original

This is Lexi, she’s an 8 week-old German Shepherd.

I bought Lexi as a surprise for my wife, but it turns out she is allergic to long haired dogs, so we are now looking to find her a new home.

She is 65 years old, an attractive and caring woman who drives, is a great cook, and keeps a clean house.
Don.......

Well, Don, I don't either. My wife (by coincidence) is 65 and we have a German Shepherd. Fortunately, my wife is not allergic......

JB

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife’s dog has no fur, he is a silky Yorky ... actually has hair. I’m told that it the only breed that is that way.

No matter how I look at it, I’m out numbered... me, wife, dog, daughter and two cats.

The male cat was named “Harley” before we really got to know him.
He has a biker’s attitude and actually has a capital H in his fur along his left cheek.

He was properly named, as he enters a room he looks to see if there is a fight going on, if not then he will start one!!

He often lies in the floor as if he is too tired to lift his head, anyone can pass by, as long as they are wearing shoes, if a bare foot or with just socks 🧦, then he attacks at full tilt boogie!!!

He has gifts [emoji320] under the Christmas tree and my daughter tied elastic bows on them, from time to time it sounds like someone is playing a banjo and a drum 🥁, but it’s only Harley trying to pull the bow off the box!

Never a dull moment when he is awake!

#/;0{>~

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Michael, from what I understand, this thread is supposed to be sort of a group around a campfire telling stories, and, in my experience, there is always a little competition in that scenario. Of course, in this thread, as in the campfire tales, there are no real losers, as long as the stories are good, so that part of your post might have been a little incorrect. But we won't hold that against you. Other than that, have at it. We all have tales to tell (either I’m running out of tales, or my memory is failing, not sure which), some better than others, but all worthy of the telling.

JB

Or maybe like some others,
Making sure the statute of limitations has expired!I
Keep the stories coming!!

-Weekender

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or maybe like some others,
Making sure the statute of limitations has expired!I
Keep the stories coming!!

-Weekender

I’m pretty sure that has happened here a few times already...

Sound advice.

To act with common sense, according to the moment, is the best wisdom I know.
Horatio Walpole, circa 1760 ish...

#/:0{>:~

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey over 409,000 views of this thread, we have a lot of folks that like to read the stories and experiences but won't share any! So lets start pitching in, you readers that are being stingy with your own stories. :tongue3: :thumbsup: :occasion14: :read2: :coffee: :evil5:

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Sir Oro of Blancho, I have the same situation on my thread... 1068 replies and 106,400+/- views, but with so many awesome monuments being destroyed soon after they are confirmed and posted, it gets a little tense when the moment comes to hit that post button.

Some have been priceless works of art, carved by hand, in the middle of nowhere, some are constructed from several carved stones with directions carved into bodies.....

Someone is trespassing and destroying history in an effort to hide the truth.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513492074.622971.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513492074.622971.jpg ei

I really hope nobody is damaging this one. Though it would do my old heart good to see them in jail for a few dozen years!!

Weekender and I have, Exclusive rights to be on the property.

Got it in contract.

Only way to do this kind of exploring.

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reaon as I lay in bed enjoying the warm blankets, My thoughts turned to old China, pre 1970. We had ust landed our B-26 t tsingtao, and as uual were surrounded b Chinese National soldiers.

As I was doing my post flight checks, they crowded around ne. Sudddenly I heard a familiar pop, and without thinking I swept my and over the soldier and took the grrenade out of his hand and sucesfully tossed it into a nearby drainge ditch, where, when it went off, did no harm except to our nerves. When, I turned my attention to the soldier, I realized that he was only 14 and scared silly - white - , so I said nothing

This was my introduction to old China,1960. Thus began my introduction to one of the was my the most enjoyable periods of my life

sigh

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reaon as I lay in bed enjoying the warm blankets, My thoughts turned to old China, pre 1970. We had ust landed our B-26 t tsingtao, and as uual were surrounded b Chinese National soldiers.

As I was doing my post flight checks, they crowded around ne. Sudddenly I heard a familiar pop, and without thinking I swept my and over the soldier and took the grrenade out of his hand and sucesfully tossed it into a nearby drainge ditch, where, when it went off, did no harm except to our nerves. When, I turned my attention to the soldier, I realized that he was only 14 and scared silly - white - , so I said nothing

This was my introduction to old China,1960. Thus began my introduction to one of the was my the most enjoyable periods of my life

sigh

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason as I lay in bed enjoying the warm blankets, My thoughts turned to old China, pre 1969. We had just landed our B-26at tsingtao, and as uual were surrounded b Chinese National soldiers.

As I was doing my post flight checks, they crowded around ne. Sudddenly I heard a familiar pop, and without thinking I swept my and over the soldier and took the grrenade out of his hand and sucesfully tossed it into a nearby drainge ditch, where, when it went off, did no harm except to our nerves. When, I turned my attention to the soldier, I realized that he wa only 14 and scared silly - white - , so I said nothing

This was my introduction to old China,1960. Thus began my introduction into one of the some djoyable periods of my life

sigh

Last edited:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Reminds me of when we were rearming at sea and where taking 5 inch rounds out of the packing crate to carry back to the rear storage. As I cradled the 55 Lb. shell in my arms and started down the ladder (more like a stair way) my foot slipped on the top step (the skid plating was worn), I went down the steps hiting each with my heals. At the bottom I spun around to go to the back of the ship on the port outside , the round started to slip in my arms. As I tried to hold it, it kept sliding down. As it came out of my arms it was spinning and as it hit the deck, bottom first I got my right hand under it as it bounced and shot put it over the side. Went a good 15 to 20 feet. Watched it splash into the water and the ship go past where it hit. As I leaned against the bulkhead the next guy coming along with a round looked at me and said, "That's a good idea", and threw his overboard. Me "Why did you do that?" Him "Well you threw yours overboard." Me "Did you drop yours?"
He turned white and took off. I went back up and got another round and took it back to storage. Later they found the guy in one of the air crawl spaces curled up and still shaking. They Helo'd him off the ship and never saw him again. He knew that if the round had gone off, both of us would have been dead. I never thought about it that way, was just glad it didn't go off. The shock of it hitting the deck was not hard enough to drop the fuse down and arm it.
Just like Jose and the grenade story. You do something without thinking about it and it doesn't bother you afterwards. IMHO

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you are clacking those keys, we will all keep reading exactly what you meant to type.

Right along with those thousands of readers that never hit a single key.

But, perhaps, after reading about your life, they think that their lives are uninteresting, by comparison.

If they don’t try, they may never know that we may see an interesting life.

No one loses, unless they never try.

#/;0{>~

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OK this one happened to my brother.
He climbed up a slope to look over the top to see the next valley. As he was looking he felt something strange. His walking staff (6 foot 2X2) was sinking into the ground! He pulled it up and realized he had put it into a gopher hole. When he looked into the gopher hole he could see daylight in the hole. His next coherent thought was Wylie Coyote riding a rock down the the air. When we checked the other side of the ridge, we found that it was a 150 feet vertical with another 150 feet of reverse overhang! We didn't go up that slope any more. LOL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Here's a short one. The last trip I went on, as usual had stopped for a hotel room a couple of times on the way in and home. Several times, the person who checked us in for the room, immediately guessed that I am a treasure hunter. Never had this happen before in the lower 48, and I don't think I particularly look like a typical treasure hunter. But apparently they are seeing a lot more treasure hunters these days?

:coffee2: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread