Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Don Jose,

I've been around many a block in life, heroes do come and go - because you seldom meet the real deal.

Sir, you are a hero to me - the real deal. Please stay with us as you are ALWAYS welcome among us - there'll never be another you.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your name is etched in eternity - no-one above, no-one alongside. I have had more than a good chuckle from your stories - so still looking forward to your 150th (mind you, _I_ might not be here by then). Keep'em coming my friend!

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may sound a little bit out there. But a conversation with a man that is just a year older than me.

We were talking about our younger years...

How many here have, lived in houses with no electricity, phone , indoor plumbing , outhouses,or lived in log
Houses( 100+ years or
Older), or had to fetch water from a spring and drank from the same dipper, or had to heat water on a wood kitchen stone, or had to run bear or
Wild hog out of the house...

I have done all of them at one time or another!!?

I thought it was. Normal!

Yet somehow I survived. Thus I believe that the world would be a better place if they were a bit more common!!

Just curious about how many here had the same set of obstacles??!j

#/;0{>~

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
"How many here have, lived in houses with no electricity, phone , indoor plumbing , outhouses, or lived in log Houses( 100+ years or Older), or had to fetch water from a spring and drank from the same dipper...[?]"

Growing up that was our family's summer cottage on an island in Lake Michigan. Not a log house - a Sears Roebuck home put up in the 1930's. No electricity, no plumbing, no phone, water pumped by hand and carried by the bucket up the bluff. Want a bath? Here's a bar of Ivory (it floats!) and there's The Big Lake.

This was our annual vacation - and we loved it!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Mum and Dad built their house in '48. We did have electricity, but water had to be carried from a well about 400 yds away - two buckets and a yolk over your shoulders. Being the older of 2 - water was _my_ job - quite a task when my Mum was washing clothes ... Can't remember when we actually got water to the house, but it must've been around '52 ... What I found the hardest to cope with was the outhouse when it was -10F outside (a fairly common occurrence during the 4-5 months of winter). Always a stack of papers you could put on the seat to alleviate the piercing cold - and yes, the papers were NOT for reading while seated!!!

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Ah, the good old days. Although we did have electricity, our water was a running spring uphill form the house. For years we just caught whatever we needed as it ran by, the sometime in the early '60's we installed a long roll of plastic pipe and also a kitchen sink. Hot water was heated on the potbelly stove for bathing. For cooking, we had a wood cook stove. We used wood in the cook stove, but bought coal to use in the potbelly stove. Our electricity was a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling in each room. The outhouse was about 30 yards away , but we used a pot at night or when it was real cold. I can still recall my grandmothers dinners and have often tried to replicate them to no avail. You just can't replicate the slow cooking wood stove. The closest I've found is a crockpot. but even it comes up a little short. Good luck. rockhound

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
This may sound a little bit out there. But a conversation with a man that is just a year older than me.

We were talking about our younger years...

How many here have, lived in houses with no electricity, phone , indoor plumbing , outhouses,or lived in log
Houses( 100+ years or
Older), or had to fetch water from a spring and drank from the same dipper, or had to heat water on a wood kitchen stone, or had to run bear or
Wild hog out of the house...

I have done all of them at one time or another!!?

I thought it was. Normal!

Yet somehow I survived. Thus I believe that the world would be a better place if they were a bit more common!!

Just curious about how many here had the same set of obstacles??!j

#/;0{>~

Hmm well I was five before I ever saw a flush toilet, and the water for the house was hauled from the creek a half mile from the house with milk cans. Heat was wood and coal of course. But more recently, lived 'off the grid' for a couple of years, had to haul water from nearly twenty miles away, not nearly so primitive however having cell phone (and a huge antenna to hook to it or it would not work) satellite TV and internet, wind power etc so not exactly the same.

Prayers for our friend Don Jose.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ewllo, I'm in Tucson., still considering, future is not bright Oro, you have remaimed a bright light in my life, the others of course.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Howdy!

Nice to see your post, Don Jose! Welcome to beautiful Arizona!

I hope you have had time to read some of the recent posts here. The bottom line is simple - we all hope you stick around. Because we are selfish - we have a great deal to learn from you.

And we want to read your dang book! It has been promised us for years - and I think you are a gentleman who takes a promise very seriously. As you may (or may not) know, I have some experience publishing treasure hunting literature. I'd be honored to assist you in any way that I may. Today it doesn't even take much capital to get a book into print - astonishing for someone such as myself who used to have to raise thousands of dollars to hold one printed copy in my hands.

Please continue your road to recovery! And keep working on your book!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ewllo, I'm in Tucson., still considering, future is not bright Oro, you have remaimed a bright light in my life, the others of course.

Yes, Don Jose, as Bookaroo says, welcome to AZ. Unfortunately, I won't be in the area for a couple of weeks, or I would buy you a coffee in person, in place of virtually. It would be both an honor and a pleasure to meet you, and well worth the trip to Tuscon to do so.

Please take care. Remember that you have been in tough scrapes before. You can weather this as well.

JB

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
av at my son's house ib Tucson. I feel lousy, I wanna g back to Mexiso, am losing weight and hae been constipated for aver a week. coujong standingghing and ---; outsie of that an doing just fie, yeagh. Bookaro my friend , I ,nay have delayed too long on the Tayopa story.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Don Jose:

So we all agree it has been too long. And we all agree (at least, all of us but you) that we would very much like to read your book.

So we're off to a very good start!

How do we nudge you over the finish line? Is there a manuscript? Detailed notes? Rambling recollections? Or...?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Don Jose: In the event you missed it posted on another thread here, a valuable Tayopa lesson!

Even Cattle Not Immune.

Thomas Sexton, who resides in the Yaqui delta, at Ontagota, relates an amusing story that goes to show how superstitious are some of the natives of the country. The circumstance related occurred some years ago, when Mr. Sexton was engaged in mining in the Sierra Madre. He was travelling through the mountains, and had occasion to stop several days at a ranche [sic] owned by a wealthy native. In Mr. Sexton's outfit were a number of fine rifles, with which the ranche owner was much taken, expressing himself as greatly desirous of owning one. Incidentally the native gentleman imparted to Mr. Sexton the information that he knew the exact location of lost Tayopa mine, one famous in antigua days as very rich and productive. Upon receiving that information Mr. Sexton said: "If you will show me the Tayopa I will give you one of those rifles and one thousand rounds of ammunition."

"I dare not do it" was the reply. "Should I do so I would die."

But finally the gentleman, so anxious was he to possess the rifle, ciphered out a way in which he could have Mr. Sexton led to the mine and evade the penalty that tradition had taught would be visited upon all endeavoring to point out the long lost mine. Said he: "I have sent for my cow, and she will be brought in tonight; but her calf is tied out where she comes from. In the morning I will turn her out, and you follow her back to the calf."

"All right," replied Mr. Sexton, “and if I find the Tayopa I will give you the rifle.”

“Oh, but I am not showing you the Tayopa,” quickly replied the gentleman, in real alarm.

The next morning the cow was released and started in a hurry to go to her calf, with Mr. Sexton following her closely. After leading him over several miles of rough and precipitous country the cow fell over a precipice and broke her neck, dying in a few minutes. Mr. Sexton returned to the hacienda and reported the loss to the owner.

"Ah!, por Dios," exclaimed the disconsolate gentleman, "One cannot send even a cow to show the Tayopa without her losing her life."

And that was as close as Mr. Sexton came to finding the lost Tayopa mine.

The Oasis, “An Authority on Mines and Mining”
(Arizola, Ariz.) 7 September 1907 [Second Series. Vol. IX., No. 18. Whole No. 747]

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell us some more stories Don Jose, please ? I want to hear about the huge snake in the Rio Grande ? :notworthy:
By the way, are you reading your g.mail ? ? ? :dontknow:

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
av at my son's house ib Tucson. I feel lousy, I wanna g back to Mexiso, am losing weight and hae been constipated for aver a week. coujong standingghing and ---; outsie of that an doing just fie, yeagh. Bookaro my friend , I ,nay have delayed too long on the Tayopa story.

Hopes you have, from many...

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for Tayopa, the tangible wealth may have eluded your grasp.

But, for the rest of us, your tales of adventure and the details of sleeping in borrowed rooms with flea infested goat hides, and the retreats from banditos, and the conversation with the mysterious vanishing old Yaqui native, and so many others, have taken all of us to a place, that makes all of us feel, and believe that it was always within our collective reach.

True adventure, creates that yearning, that dictates, that our reach should always exceed our grasp.

I know that it has come to me, in my dreams. And I’m sure that most of the rest of us have dreamt of that illusive cache at the end of the rainbow [emoji304].

Thank you for taking us along for the ride.

Mikel
#/;0{>~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread