Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Mal, here's wishing you much success and a safe journey. Keep us updated as much as time allows. Your experiences are fascinating. ( Now, if only we can find a way for Mackaydon to share some of his adventures, those not classified ). :notworthy:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola ProspectorMickel Amigo

Thank you for your insight. I learn some thing new every day. I imagine what you make would be of very high quality much better than any mass produced stuff. You must have a real talent for such things.

Mal

Mal, I was fortunate enough to have been called upon, to help a couple of starving artisans to run their small shop so that they could get out and sell their wooden toys.
Within two months, I doubled their production and made everyone’s jobs easier and more enjoyable.

It was a job that I loved, working with wood.

Running the shop with one rule. Every color had to be natural. No paint or stains.

It didn’t take long to let my creative nature run rampant. And I felt like I was Santa Clause all year long.

Here are a few of my originals and a few of my regular production pieces.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542769937.565814.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542770001.171654.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542770090.926706.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542770131.862746.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542770184.750108.jpg

I am fairly certain that I have a little sawdust in my blood.

#/;0{>~

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Mikel, VERY nice work ! The gent with a bow tie looks familiar ?

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mal, I was fortunate enough to have been called upon, to help a couple of starving artisans to run their small shop so that they could get out and sell their wooden toys.
Within two months, I doubled their production and made everyone’s jobs easier and more enjoyable.

It was a job that I loved, working with wood.

Running the shop with one rule. Every color had to be natural. No paint or stains.

It didn’t take long to let my creative nature run rampant. And I felt like I was Santa Clause all year long.

Here are a few of my originals and a few of my regular production pieces.

View attachment 1653747 View attachment 1653748 View attachment 1653749 View attachment 1653750 View attachment 1653751

I am fairly certain that I have a little sawdust in my blood.

#/;0{>~

Hola Amigo

Absolutely brilliant you have real amazing talent there.

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holo Mal,
I, too, frequently missed too many Christmas days with my family. But I had a deal with them that worked: Christmas would be celebrated whenever I got home after Christmas or on any day I had to leave closest to Christmas.
All the best,
Don..

Hola Mackaydon

When my children was young it some thing similar we did when I returned. As they got older it was just excepted that some times I would not be there. Regardless you do miss a lot of them growing up. Now they are adults themselves. Gee time went so quick.

Mal

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"gee, time went so quick " tell me !my child bride of some 70 years ago has left me, and my son is almost ready to retire forgive me
if I don't post so often or repeat myself. aldhiemers or just plain old age, now 95. welcome back South Sea Mariner Hi everyone else. Am working on the book

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mikel, VERY nice work ! The gent with a bow tie looks familiar ?

Simon1, That little fella was never intended to be sold. But he was introduced to the world at Tulsa International May-feast in 1984.

He was made for a children’s ministry, as a working puppet.

My employer borrowed him to display
(As if they had created him).
Out of 3,000 applications, a jury picked only 300 craftsmen and women, to get into the show.
Out of them, only 30 recipients were invited to a special event with the jury members, to display 3 of their best pieces. He was the centerpiece.

He was later put into production on a limited basis of 100 numbered, and signed by the craftsmen that I trained.

He was honored to be placed in the front window of Macey’s in NYC at the end of the Thanksgiving Parade, and was featured in the New York Times, by their art editor, introduced, by the editor, as the most original piece of folk art that he had seen in 20 years.

My employers soaked up all of the credit at every event and kept all of the certificates and newspaper clips!

They had the nerve to ask me to allow them to continue with production without the signature on the bottom of his foot.
I carefully explained the reasons for not doing it.

They decided to turn him into copies of “Pinocchio “ they made the error of showing their copies in Florida, where one man saw him and took photos with their “craftsmen “ proudly in the pictures....

He later returned with a small army of lawyers to issue a federal court judge’s court order to stop production and to confiscate all of the copyrighted inventory!!!

Justice was finally served.

All of this went on while I put my original one to work, entertaining children, on stage in “Bible Hour”
For Sunday evening worship service, for several years.

He has aged a bit and his cherry wood face and hands have a farmer’s tan, but, he has remained in the memories of those children, as Woody, the clumsy little man that learned about God with themselves.

That has been the honor that casts a great shadows over all of the lies that my employers told about creating and making the copies.

The rest of my original pieces that are shown here, are not famous, they are gifts that I made for my family, and have returned home to me as each one passed into their new lives in heaven. Or nursing home.

The spinning wheel is a working model, with a two speed collection spool. The most demanding technology was designed by someone who probably never got credit for his own skills.

The rest were simply a gift, to me by my parents, on my birthday.

#/;0{>~

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simon1, That little fella was never intended to be sold. But he was introduced to the world at Tulsa International May-feast in 1984.

Out of 3,000 applications, a jury picked only 300 craftsmen and women, to get into the show.
Out of them, only 30 recipients were invited to a special event with the jury members, to display 3 of their best pieces. He was the centerpiece.

He was later put into production on a limited basis of 100 numbered, and signed by the craftsmen that I trained.

He was honored to be placed in the front window of Macey’s in NYC at the end of the Thanksgiving Parade, and was featured in the New York Times, by their art editor, introduced, by the editor, as the most original piece of folk art that he had seen in 20 years.

My employers soaked up all of the credit at every event and kept all of the certificates and newspaper clips!

They had the nerve to ask me to allow them to continue with production without the signature on the bottom of his foot.

They decided to turn him into copies of “Pinocchio “ they made the error of showing their copies in Florida, where one man saw him and took photos with their “craftsmen “ proudly in the pictures....

He later returned with a small army of lawyers to issue a federal court judge’s court order to stop production and to confiscate all of the copyrighted inventory!!!

All of this went on while I put my original one to work, entertaining children, on stage in “Bible Hour”

He has aged a bit and his cherry wood face and hands have a farmer’s tan, but, he has remained in the memories of those children, as Woody, the clumsy little man that learned about God with themselves.

That has been the honor that casts a great shadows over all of the lies that my employers told about creating and making the copies.

The rest of my original pieces that are shown here, are not famous, they are gifts that I made for my family, and have returned home to me as each one passed into their new lives in heaven. Or nursing home.

The spinning wheel is a working model, with a two speed collection spool. The most demanding technology was designed by someone who probably never got credit for his own skills.

#/;0{>~

Marvelous work, Mikel. I have done some work with wood as well, but nothing to compare with that.

JB

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Mackaydon

When my children was young it some thing similar we did when I returned. As they got older it was just excepted that some times I would not be there. Regardless you do miss a lot of them growing up. Now they are adults themselves. Gee time went so quick.

Mal

Mal, glad to see you have time to look in on us once in a while. I spent several years in the US Navy, and am familiar with seafaring in both large and small vessels. I still do some small boat stuff, both power and sail, but I'm getting too old to do any long range stuff like I used to, and still want to, occasionally. Your family history was fascinating. I am glad to hear that you learned the hard way, from the bottom up. I am sure that makes you a much better Captain than if you had not done so. Good luck with you voyage and your future ventures.

JB

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"gee, time went so quick " tell me !my child bride of some 70 years ago has left me, and my son is almost ready to retire forgive me
if I don't post so often or repeat myself. aldhiemers or just plain old age, now 95. welcome back South Sea Mariner Hi everyone else. Am working on the book

Don Jose, we will all forgive you for any lapses you may have. It is good to see you posting once in a while, since we get worried when you do not do so. We are all looking forward to the book, but please give us a post once in a while, even if to just say "Hi".

JB

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose,
A small crowd of us is awaiting your book; even if at one chapter at a time.
crowd.jpg

Don.....

Hola Don Amigo

Crowds like that always scare me. One word always springs to mind stampede. I was in large crowd once where many people was crushed to death.

Mal

Last edited:

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

#/;0{>~

Hola Prospectormickel

I saddened to hear such a wonderful creation was tainted by greed by others.

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hola Don Jose

No apologies needed Amigo. Every day you grace us with your presence is bonus. It amazing and honor of being in the presence of great adventurer who has lasted the test of time. Your book I think to many people here will be a treasured memory of your lives journey but also to those who have followed you along the way.

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mal, glad to see you have time to look in on us once in a while. I spent several years in the US Navy, and am familiar with seafaring in both large and small vessels. I still do some small boat stuff, both power and sail, but I'm getting too old to do any long range stuff like I used to, and still want to, occasionally. Your family history was fascinating. I am glad to hear that you learned the hard way, from the bottom up. I am sure that makes you a much better Captain than if you had not done so. Good luck with you voyage and your future ventures.

JB

Hola amigo Shortfinger

Always be a merchant seaman myself so I cannot imagine what navy life was like? Interesting yarn there hint hint?

Thanks for heads up on the history. Here is old poster going back to days we had passengers ships. we used to sailed from New York Panama and many ports down the south American coast to Valparaiso.

poster.JPG

We tons of these old posters dating back to 1920's and 30's . Apparently now they are collectors items one sold 8000 dollars. We had a few years earlier tipped hundreds into skip bin.

Mal

Last edited:

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola amigo Shortfinger

Always be a merchant seaman myself so I cannot imagine what navy life was like? Interesting yarn there hint hint?

Thanks for heads up on the history. Here is old poster going back to days we had passengers ships. we used to sailed from New York Panama and many ports down the south American coast to Valparaiso.

View attachment 1653927

We tons of these old posters dating back to 1920's and 30's . Apparently now they are collectors items one sold 8000 dollars. We had a few years earlier tipped hundreds into skip bin.

Mal

Hola yourself, Amigo.

Not too much interesting about being in the Navy. You go out, you float around awhile, you come back into port. I saw some interesting places, and I learned that I like the sea, but mostly hard work, not much sleep, and lots of rules and regulations. Your poster didn't come through, it would have been interesting to see.

JB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread