Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, you’re right again.
I do tend to push myself against the edge of the line. Pressing politics is not a wise way to stay on forums.

Pressing the limits of woodworking is what drove me to create.
The details were always the smallest piece that I could make, but I think that the spinning wheel was my largest piece, and since it was a gift for my mom, I made the details define the piece.

I firmly believe that even the largest thing in the universe is made of small pieces. It’s much like the engine that Don Jose just posted. Relatively speaking, of coarse.

That is the first time that I have read that story. I think that if Don Jose keeps his shoulder to the wheel, until all of his stories are written down he will make it past his one hundred fiftieth birthday!

I think that I was elected to bring the hootch for the coffee [emoji477]️.
Perhaps I should start buying it soon.

#/;0{>~

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some things never change.......in Ecuador today, the indigenous, living on their land, the land of their ancestors, are trying to defend against big corporate mining interests supported by the corrupt government.......
Señor Kanacki, having seen, lived in two worlds, the material US and South America, happiness does not depend on money.....friends, family, community provide a peace and happiness that money cannot buy. Having returned to the US to work again (after being retired 10 years), I find it a strange place; it seems everybody has their smart phone in hand. Group of young people sitting around together not talking, instead focused on their phones. Odd really.......I sometimes wonder what would become of them if the phones suddenly stopped working........they seem to rely on the phones with internet to answer and do everything.......

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some things never change.......in Ecuador today, the indigenous, living on their land, the land of their ancestors, are trying to defend against big corporate mining interests supported by the corrupt government.......
Señor Kanacki, having seen, lived in two worlds, the material US and South America, happiness does not depend on money.....friends, family, community provide a peace and happiness that money cannot buy. Having returned to the US to work again (after being retired 10 years), I find it a strange place; it seems everybody has their smart phone in hand. Group of young people sitting around together not talking, instead focused on their phones. Odd really.......I sometimes wonder what would become of them if the phones suddenly stopped working........they seem to rely on the phones with internet to answer and do everything.......

Doc D, I agree completely.
Most of my contact with the rest of the world, is here on Tnet.

I must admit that the last several days have been a bit more energetic than the norm, but it will hold more of the news of the world than I normally find anywhere else.

This is learning time for me.

Normally I am here for an hour or two in a week. For several days now, I have spent that much in a day....

We have not had so much time to catch up an pick the minds of our brothers from the seas.

This is like reading a good book.
I am fond of paper [emoji404], but this is a bit better, being able to ask and answer questions.

But we do have lives to live also.

My wife regularly, is on her iPhone for six to ten hours a day, and complains about her neck and back pain.

She is trapped in the midst of the herd! She doesn’t know it ......

Please continue sharing your world with those of us that have failed to choose the trail less traveled 🧳.

#/;0{>~

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my friend I suppose you are all winding down for Christmas?

While image of Christmas is ingrained symbolically in us as snow with father Christmas reindeer with a sleigh Christmas trees.

On my island it is very different. The Christmas celebration is much more simple somber affair. The local church puts on a beautiful midnight mass with parishioners holding candles and singing hymns. They have Christmas pageant played by kids. No Christmas trees tinsel as such. Very few presents are given as the gift of Christmas was birth of Christ. A time to rejoice and feast in company. The church opens it door Christmas morning with massive feast contributed by everyone. People come and ago. By 12 noon people disappear for siesta as its so hot and humid. Many Christmas have spent being rained on as its the norm in the tropics.

Kanacki

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Señor Kanacki, your island Christmas has much in common with those I have spent in Ecuador.......while gifts are exchanged it is far less and the emphasis is no spending time with family and church. It is amusing to see frosty and fake snow as decorations in the hot climate of coastal Ecuador in December.
ProspectorMikel, I also find my time here on TNet refreshing. I find myself more comfortable in the latino culture in South America then in the US where I am now for a while.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc D, Both you and Kanacki , have experienced Christmas as it should be experienced.
I am thankful that you could share it with us.

As you have mentioned the corporate greed taking over the gold mine industry, we can see the same greed, commercializing Christmas here in the U. S.

The money changers that Jesus drove out from the Temple of His Father, still work to create profits from His’ name.

They work tirelessly to make everyone feel as if we fail our families if we don’t buy their product name.

The company that created the jolly old fat “ elf”, dressed in “ Coca-Cola “ red, was a huge success for them. Now they are part of the movie making companies, and that just creates more greed.

The only thing that really relates, that kind of Christmas to the true spirit of Christmas, is the giving.....

I guess that we are caught up in the stampede that surrounds us.

Hold tight to your simple celebration of that one Gift!

Again, I have fallen victim to envy...

#/;0{>~

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
December rains hot and humid. You can see through the forest that is steamy. It drains you. For locals call it their dream time, they work only only if they have too. You find most people slumbers on hammock or bed with the mandatory mossie net around them. Or "no no's" as they call them.

Today I canoed through the mangroves to catch up with a fella I had promised to help with some chores. But with island tradition it turned out to be manyarna because of the weather. Everything here runs on jungle time. But while on the river I checked mud crab traps. 4 big mud crabs. 2 I had to let go as they was female. They are carriers of the next generation of crabs. I dropped a mandatory fishing line along the creek and scored a beautiful mangrove jack. The mangrove creek ends into drown tree forest with ferns where fresh crystal clear water meets the saltwater. No saltwater crocodiles on island so no real fear on anything to dangerous lurking under the water.

FSMTrip 057.jpg

In which as I type enjoying it fried with coconut milk with herbs garlic butter. A nice reward for a little bit of mornings effort. On my property I grow most of my vegetables. If not barter with locals. I have a few ponds where i grow koi carp.

3.jpg

2.jpg

Living here is short bursts of activity and long snoozing naps. If your a clock watcher time and motion junkey you go nuts. Time has no meaning on this island my friends. Even typing this post was between a few micro naps.

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello ProspectorMickel

The simple life my friend is getting harder to find all around the world. I fear my little patch of paradise will be "discovered" and have hoards of tourist only to make it into the very types of places they are fleeing from. This is just one spot of many on the island.

You can canoe up a Chrystal clear stream of freshwater running into the mangrove creek.

27485826.jpg

As you can see it has clear sandy bottom.

44175525.jpg

Further up it opens out to secret iridescent blue water hole full of fish and little freshwater turtles. My Kids and grand kids swim there After a short canoe paddle that adds to the adventure.

95550859.jpg

The locals have built a little Picnic area. It has been kept secret from the the few tourist we have. A fresh water swimming alternative to the ocean.

74505277.jpg

However that not say the coral reefs around the island are not awesome.

f-15539.jpg

Shallow and deeper reefs are like magic fairy grottoes.

10563C087.jpg

And beaches for most part to yourself.

beach-lonnoc s.jpg

At the moment its flying under the radar and that's how I like it :-)

Kanacki

Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hello ProspectorMickel

The simple life my friend is getting harder to find all around the world. I fear my little patch of paradise will be "discovered" and have hoards of tourist only to make it into the very types of places they are fleeing from. This is just one spot of many on the island.

You can canoe up a Chrystal clear stream of freshwater running into the mangrove creek.

View attachment 1659239

As you can see it has clear sandy bottom.

View attachment 1659240

Further up it opens out to secret iridescent blue water hole full of fish and little freshwater turtles. My Kids and grand kids swim there After a short canoe paddle that adds to the adventure.

View attachment 1659241

The locals have built a little Picnic area. It has been kept secret from the the few tourist we have. A fresh water swimming alternative to the ocean.

View attachment 1659242

However that not say the coral reefs around the island are not awesome.

View attachment 1659244

Shallow and deeper reefs are like magic fairy grottoes.

View attachment 1659247

And beaches for most part to yourself.

View attachment 1659246

At the moment its flying under the radar and that's how I like it :-)

Kanacki

Your last picture reminds me of a place I was at on the coast of South Vietnam. The time I was there was mostly spent in the mountains. The mountains were very beautiful. Most of the peaks were covered with tall elephant grass. From the peaks, we could look east across the valley to the sea. The valley was a checkerboard of small villages and rice paddies. It probably looked the same as it did a thousand years ago. The villages consisted of grass and bamboo huts and were connected by dusty trails. It was tough humping through the mountains but I always found time to enjoy the beauty of them. We would find trails through the jungle that had steps cut in them to make it easier to go up and down the mountains. I use to love it when we camped on the sides of the mountains because I could look over the valley to the sea. We spent most of our time in the mountains but one day we flew into a village by the sea. There were white sand beaches and grass huts like in your picture. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in. I've never seen such beautiful beaches. The day was ruined by an ambush as we were trying to leave the village, but I have never forgotten the beauty of the place.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
So I take it that neither you or the "Trio" can purchase this island under a shell corporation ? It looks like a magnificent island Kanacki, the clear stream is so picturesque.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Kanacki,

If that is God's creation here on earth, I can't even imagine what heaven would look like since it's a better place.

Homar

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I take it that neither you or the "Trio" can purchase this island under a shell corporation ? It looks like a magnificent island Kanacki, the clear stream is so picturesque.

Hello Simon the island is 111 square km. Is owned not by individuals in western world sense but communal tribal group. I only got access to land via marriage. Its leasehold not freehold. There is no money in world the natives would part with their earthy paradise.

Mdog knowing many ex vets from that era I have utmost respect for sacrifices you guys made in that time and place. Today Vietnam is very different place then it was during the war, Some places that are hidden away are a absolute gems as you mentioned almost lost in time itself.

I visited as tourist a few years ago and you can see some progress, I visited Da Nang the north and Hanoi and island groups. I have seen a lot of Ex vets over there with even grandchildren on holiday. I think for many it is some sort of closure from that strange and dangerous point in time, where many was left behind to sleep for eternity. Their lives are consigned to history now. But the memories are carried always by those who served alongside those fallen heroes that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Kanacki,

If that is God's creation here on earth, I can't even imagine what heaven would look like since it's a better place.

Homar

Hello Homar

If my island isn't heaven on earth it must pretty much close to it.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Homar

Paddling a canoe in morning stillness when there is no breeze you get this crazy sensation. The water is so clear and untainted that it acts like a liquid mirror reflecting the canopy above. It gives the crazy sensation that you are floating or flying in air as your eyes struggle to see where the water ends and sky begins blending into kaleidoscope of color.

Mangrove Ref 1.JPG

Mangrove Ref 2.JPG

ttt.jpg

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies I deviated at little off topic.

The island just like everywhere has its own problems but not on the scale of other places. Pretty much a storm in a tea cup! But you can begin to see why I am in no hurry to do anything these days. I live around short grandpa naps these says.

Done Jose The local villagers went of a pig hunt. As you can see below. They have gutted it and bleed it.They will roast the pig splayed out on rack to cook it evenly. The villagers are very good as they waste nothing they will cut up the meat wrap in banana leaves and give it to elderly and infirm to make sure everyone has share.Most of meat is killed cooked and eaten on the same day. You cannot get much fresher meat than that. Although me myself have fridges and very few locals have fridges they occasional ask me to store meat in freezer for them. In turn whenever there a pig hunt they brink me a leg of pork.,

gyuuy.jpg

There is still fortunes to be found for those willing to push the boundaries. my friends.

One such fellow with nothing left to prove was one of the most prolific discovers of gold in new guinea and veteran prospector of the old school type. was Ken Rehder, a veteran Papua New Guinea gold prospector who played a significant role in the discovery of gold the Lihir gold mine. Remember the dead horse mine Don Jose?

The trio was some of the scurvy dogs that drilled for him in that project. It was because of his encouragement we took out shares in the company. Ken never stopped and rested on his laurels. I knew him from a kid because he had traveled with my father in early 60s into regions white men have never entered to prospect.

Even so with his many successful discoveries even in 2003 he was involved in project to explore the highlands of Manaus Island where he believed there is a massive copper gold outcrop as big as the dead horse mine turned out. He employed in 2003 locals to clear forests so he could prospect and bring drillers in. But was held back because of lack of capital and red tape from change of government at their time. He had created a new PNG-registered company Golden Success and they were recently granted an exploration license by the Government to prospect over 272 square kilometers in the center of Manus. Gold and copper prices was lower at the time although gold was lift in price.

Sadly I heard that he had passed away in 2009. As of 2018 the mining exploitation lease still under his name has not fully gone through probate. The site sits empty clear and slowly growing over that never got to the test drilling stage. The site might possibly have a million or so ounces of gold and copper. Waiting for those daring to seek it.

Setting up a modern mine is today a massive undertaking and capital investment. There are many holes in the ground where mines have gone broke.

Kanacki

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Homar

Paddling a canoe in morning stillness when there is no breeze you get this crazy sensation. The water is so clear and untainted that it acts like a liquid mirror reflecting the canopy above. It gives the crazy sensation that you are floating or flying in air as your eyes struggle to see where the water ends and sky begins blending into kaleidoscope of color.

View attachment 1659461

View attachment 1659462

View attachment 1659463

Kanacki

Howdy Kanacki,

You have no idea how much time I have spent going over all the pictures that you have shared with us. I am enthralled by all of your pristine surroundings. Thanks for sharing them with us, you must be closer to God than I, for I live in the Wild Horse Desert of South Texas. Besides the cactus, most of the brush here has thorns, even a grass has stickers. Just two days ago while replacing the back steps to our home, I killed several scorpions, one tarantula, and a centipede. I am also putting up a decorative cedar post fence on our front yard to keep the horses out (we live in a ranch). I have already been stung by ants that resemble the bullet ant, and by two scorpions, while peeling the cedar posts. The post pile is getting smaller, if I quit posting, or giving likes here, it will be because the rattlesnake got me. :laughing7:

Homar, living in what could closely resemble hell on earth

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
My money would be on the Rattlesnake losing in a battle with you coazon de oro. :laughing7: Now maybe a bee ?

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, those photos of your island, properly printed and framed, would find their way to walls in homes of wealthy people.

Homar, you could probably find a wild hog to draw your sons in for a big Bar B Q, and let them clear out your post pile in a contest to split the most cedar rails! All while you sit in the shade with a tall glass full of ice cold lemonade !!

Semi retired.... and down from hazardous duties...

Keep away from those 🦂 scorpions!!

#/;0{>~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread