Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe we could schedule some miner surgery, you know the kind involving a couple burly miners holding the impatient patient and a barlow knife.
Hmm,suddenly my toothache is letting up! I can make it a couple more weeks.

Don Jose,your method of extraction wouldn't, involve mescal a mule and a riata ?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Maybe we could schedule some miner surgery, you know the kind involving a couple burly miners holding the impatient patient and a barlow knife.
Hmm,suddenly my toothache is letting up! I can make it a couple more weeks.

Don Jose,your method of extraction wouldn't, involve mescal a mule and a riata ?
I bet it would . I have a plan since the dentist is a looksome little black haired gal . I'm gonna grab two hands full of fun parts and get an assurance that we aren't going to hurt each other .

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Husband wife team where i go. All but once its him seeing me. Gotta couple more visits this month tho.
Either way i ain,t the one eating steak after. Ouchie. At least i,ll have an excuse if i spill beer on my shirt.

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'afternoon my friends: Let's go out into the patio for some cool San Miguel export, it is almost too warm here in the computer room, sides I need a break from the book.

Last night I watched an old western movie, complete with the covered wagons. As they were fleeing from the Injuns, I watched the wheel rims bouncing over rocks etc. Then I wondered how they fastened them to the spokes?? What happened to the wheel if the rim came loose, I could never see a single screw fastening them to the spokes?

Then I remembered an experience that I had while looking for one of the Laureanos deposits just north of Culiacan, at the very small village of Limon. The family that we were staying with owned the local blacksmith shop. We even made a couple of spears of the type that Sasha Siemel of south America used to earn his living hunting the huge cattle killing Jaguars with only a spear on the large cattle ranches to explore the caves etc with..

Any way one day a wheel was brought to the shop to have a very loose iron rim reattached. Naturally they had a very fascinated audience, me.

First they simply cut the rim straight across, then they cut the ends of the rim in the center each about 2 inches long, parallel to each side forming two tongues on each end. They then bent one tongue upwards and the other downward,. They did this for both ends so that when slipped into each other they matched i.e an upper and lower tongue fit each other etc.

This then was put into the coals until they became red hot, then beat together, a form of welding. When finished it was hard to see where the jointing was.

I was casually wondering how they were going to fit the wheel together since the rim was now smaller in diameter than the old wheel size. They soon answered my question by laying the wheel with the spokes on its side, firmly held, then heated the new iron rim very hot, in the mean time they placed buckets of water around the wheel. When it was hot enough, they simply lifted the hot rim with tongs and placed it upon the spokes where it proceeded to simply burn through the old spokes for a custom fit. The buckets of water were to quench any fires that might start, and there were many. They then let the new wheel combination cool off.

As usual, when it was cool enough I sat on the edge of the wheel looking at it's weld, when the cotton-picking weld failed. It made a 'Sproing' lound enough to be heard a hundred meters away. I walked rather carefully and there was no mule riding for a few days waiting for the hurty points to get better, but got my revenge on the wheel by watching them reweld it again.

This time I didn't sit on it while it was cooling - naturally, the weld was good this time sheesh. ©@

Don Jose de La Mancha (who almost lost his procreative ability)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted in the LDM thingie -----------------5th----------------------

Ladies & Gentlemen, to a limited extent I possibly am guilty of the same thingie. I have posted pictures and stories of my search, things which I should have kept for the book, but then, let's face it, sides being inherently lazy and a bit mature (89 ?) I probably will never see the book published,

So I have shared with my friends today, not tomorrow, when many of us will no longer be in a condition to read about Tayopa. Incidentally, I have a team working up there right now, but not on the Tayopa mine itself, but on one of the main deposits, for the included documents and maps that are listed as being inside.

Remember, it is in the heart of the narco country, so no monetary values can possibly be brought out without a bloody confrontation. Is it worth that when I am comfortable as it is?

Can we actually find the entrance key ? That is the present goal. Tayopa is positively located, so it no longer is a priority. So after finishing this project, will prob go help ya'all on the LDM project.

Don Jose de La Mancha (who has absorbed too much of Mexico's past, including Manana. Today it is indistinguishable from say Tucson or Phoenix, go go go )

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think anyone else would be willing to say this… but I thought I would say it, having recently met someone and having a very interesting experience.

I have read many of your posts and have deep respect for your wealth of knowledge and understanding – You are also a very respectful and thoughtful man and I mean no disrespect in what I am about to discuss.

Let me start with a story… I recently contacted an old gentleman, about your age, who was looking for assistance in recovering a vast Jesuit treasure. He spent many decades studying, researching and digging until he felt it was positively located. In fact, he even wrote a very interesting book on the subject. I spent a few days with him discussing some of his findings and reviewing some of his “evidence” and finally decided it would be worth assisting him with his project, just to see how credible it all was. Well, to say it was an interesting day would be an understatement! Every rock we saw, was apparently a marker (even if I knew it was a recent council addition.) Every tree pointed to treasure buried hundreds of years ago (even though the tree was recently planted and WELL under 50 years old.) It didn’t matter what we looked at… This man had spent so much of his life, time and energy chasing the idea of Jesuit treasure, that everything he looked at pointed to it. And every single time we discussed actually digging something out to prove it, he wasn’t very interested…

What I am getting at is… If men spend their lives following a dream and finally find what they feel they were looking for… Do they open the door? Would they rather live their final years with the bliss of ‘knowing’ the location, rather than risk opening it and being disappointed in their life’s work?

As I have read of your progress and constant acknowledgement that you have Tayopa located and read to roll.. I just found it odd noting that you now have no immediate plans of opening the mine and really finding out for yourself what is there.. Again, I mean no disrespect and I would not blame a man for such a justification if this was the case. I would however love to hear your take on this and hear the reason you are choosing to abandon Tayopa at this time.

Wilkes.

ChrisParker

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this in reference to the Border Patrol going back to Horses and mules again

Hallelujah, about time, may even come back to the B.Patrol. But a two week course? My introduction to mules consisted in giving me the reins and "vaya con dios", nos veremos en dos meses. "go with God, see you in a couple of months".

I was not even shown how to saddle one, sooo my little pinto mule and I grew to know each other in a way most will never experience. Jingle bobs never worked with her since she never trotted.

Months on the trail, alone most of the time, using her saddle blanket well soaked with mule sweat at night to keep warm with, will do that, although I often wonder how she withstood 'me' after a few weeks of not taking a bath - no water, so hush xxx - I was a bit rank. So much for the romantic western Movies.

Do you spose that might have had something to do with my not making a hit with the few lonesome gals at various ranches who at first appeared interested??

Frankly this Horse thingie is so long overdue, and logical, that I wonder??

Send me a picture of you one xxx. ©@

Don Jose de la Mancha

What do you mean by "horse thingie"?Is it relevant to saddle or what?

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning Chris. Err, ah, I was referring to the 'report' that the Border Patrol was gong to use more Horses again. did you thnik that ---- sheesh blushing.

Let's go out into the patio for some fresh hot coffee, my new friend.

Don Jose de La Mancha (whose basic referrence to hosses might come from personally being referred to as the south end of a mule going north, sigh )

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Another friend of mine recently told me a story about himself and his mom, whom he was visiting for the weekend. It seems a while back, as it was nice outside, his mother had decided to hang her laundry on the clothesline outside. He said he was sitting on the front porch taking in the view. His mother lives near a state forest, but close to a small town. As he sat there rocking, he sees his mother come running past him and shuts and locks the front door. He said he sat there bewildered, not knowing what had posessed her to do that. He couldn't see the clothesline form the front porch, as it was at the side of the house. Next thing he sees is a huge black bear come walking down beside of the house. He said his first thought was to run, but then he realized his mom had locked the door. So he sat motionless for several minutes watching that bear closely. He said it never looked his way, otherwise he would have torn the door down, most probably. In a few minutes it wandered off, back into the woods. rockound

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G;morning everyone. I saw a recent post on Los Cristeros in ole Mexico. It brought a memory cord alive. The Cristeros were the Cathloics in Mexico. In the 1920's The pres. effectively outlawed them and a two year civil war ensued. Perhaps between 80,00 and 200,000 were killed. many disfigured by having their noses and ears cut off. Prists were particular targets and excuted where found. Even today it difficult to find much data on this bloody civil war since the gov't effectively put it in confidential information..
In any event, 'long after', I found myself involved in a small way, whch brought the persecution of the Priests home to me. ----

Speaking of the Christaros thingy, a no. of years ago while I was living and working with the Yaqui, one of them offered me a gold Chalice and cross.

I contacted a certain gentleman here in Alamos who showed intense interest and promptly gave me a signed, blank check to Buy it.

I contacted the Yaqui involved, who took me to a jewelry store in Obrgon who's owner promptly refused to even discuss the subject - it was highly illegal - but after some coaxing finally brought out the chalice. It was a very well made one but the idiot had filed on the rounded outside to Chemically determine it's Gold contact, which destroyed it's collector's value..

As it turned out, it only had a flash coating of Gold of .900 fine, and the Silver base was .720 fine. I askd the yaqui where it had been found, he said alongside of the Church at ---- It and the cross etc., had been carefully wrapped ina cloth and buried there. He had found them by a 'fire' that they produced.

Since it hadn't been an unblemished Gold Chalice, I returned the check. Later I found that I should have had the posterior section of my lower anatomy booted, since it turned out to be part of the Christero movement.

It seems that the priests had asked for donations of Silver & gold, and someone had cast the Chalice out of .720 coin silver then later flash coated with Gold from coins. They did marvelous work.

Apparently the priest would sneak back to the church and dig up the Chalice etc. hold mass, then rebury them until the next time.

I never could find out who the priest was, or what happened to him or why the Chalice was never dug up after the last mass. I can only presume that the priest /s had been caught and executed.

So I had let a bit of actual, irreplaceable, history slip through my hands.

Incidentally, the original would be puchaser agreed in my tearing up the check, since it wasn't what he had thought - actually it was far more valuable, sigh

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked a few questions that have not been addressed on the end of page 36 Don – Would love to hear your opinions on it.

Regards,

Wilkes

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Wilkes, Coffee and a few sweet rolls? Sorry if I seem to have missed that my friend, you asked -->

As I have read of your progress and constant acknowledgement that you have Tayopa located and read to roll.. I just found it odd noting that you now have no immediate plans of opening the mine and really finding out for yourself what is there.. Again, I mean no disrespect and I would not blame a man for such a justification if this was the case. I would however love to hear your take on this and hear the reason you are choosing to abandon Tayopa at this time.

Wilkes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First, in no way am I abandoning Tayopa, it is simply that certain conditions are fluid, and until I control them precisely, I will leave the final step for the future. Since I have absolute proof that I have Tayopa, there is no burning need to open it to merely hyper prove it. Opening it in itself, without the required permits etc., would create a serious problem since Tayopa is too immersed in history, both in it self, and the Jesuit movements at that period, it belongs to the Patrimony of Mexico. The gov't could morally and legally seize it in the name of the People. A financial reward lies in the other workings and deposits in, and around Tayopa.

Under these circumstances what would you do?
#########################

You also asked-->What I am getting at is… If men spend their lives following a dream and finally find what they feel they were looking for… Do they open the door? Would they rather live their final years with the bliss of ‘knowing’ the location, rather than risk opening it and being disappointed in their life’s work?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You have an extremely valid point here, but remember, as a True treasure / lost Mine hunter, the chase is often the most important factor. A crude, extreme, example, if you were to find the lost Ark of the Covenant, would you consider finding it important enough to simply give it to the Religious Authorities of the World, or would you immediately have $$ signs superimposed upon your eyes? Would you consider the finding reward enough ?

Last edited:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Some treasures are so important to certain countries that they would expend all their funds to purchase it or have it taken away from those who found it. Whether historical or religious artifacts, there is always someone with high authority reasdy to sieze it if it is known to have been found. Of these, there are several worth mentioning. In the U.S., the four corners treasure would be immediately siezed by the government. In the middle east, the ark of the covenant. In Germany, Hitlers treasure troves, which would include some valuable paintings taken form various galleries during world war II, as well as many tons of precious metals and jewels. In Italy, daVinci's paintings. In France, the treasures of the Knights Templar. In Great Britian, the treasures of the Roman legions. In Peru, the the treasures of the catholic churches, on a small island. In Nova Scotia, the Oak island treasures. In the U.S. the KGC treasures. In Mexico, Tayopa and Pancho Viva. Many of these might could be found, but most would be taken from those who found them. Good Luck. rockhound

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I can relate to Don Jose's view of letting the mine alone until it becomes practical, if ever. Though I am not totally convinced Moctezuma's treasure is near where I live (or anywhere else) I will eventually try to get a deep seeker device and look for it. If I find it, I may well report, "Nothing found" to the family and neighbors and walk away from it.

I am not sure of the legal status of ancient treasure in Mexico. I have heard both views, the government gets half, to the government gets it all. I do know a year or two ago, the newspapers reported someone in Vera Cruz found and walked off (temporarily) some ancient gold and was arrested for it.

I was not clear if he was arrested because he took any of it without reporting it, or because he took both halves.

But, if there is enough gold here to find with a deep-seeker, there is enough gold to really mess up our lives and the lives of my neighbors. I don't need the money, and if I had millons would need to spend most of it on personal body guards.

So, I would prefer to continue to live as if I am a poor man. Yet, I might tell y'all since you don't know where I live anyway. But, you see, if I did, then look at all the insults I would get for lying, heh, heh. Better to go to my grave knowing where the treasure is. MY SECRET.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
On the Cristeros war, as a coincidence a few days ago, I bumped into something about it on the Web, and asked my wife. She knew only tales of it. I had not directly heard of it, and it was surprising the large number of people killed. There is a Wikipedia page on it.

I did remember in my youthful Catholic days, we had some sort of comic books in Catechism class, referring to major persecution of priests, and it was in Mexico. But, I hadn't thought of that in many decades. It is coming back to me now. Yes, that would have been the time period of that civil war.

To this day, the local Baptist church has a sign painted next to the front door, stating the building is Federal property. And, my wife's old uncle is named on the deeds as ritual owner (my term). A few years ago, a bunch of greedy people started going to church there, dramatically changing the service so we now go to the Baptist church in the next town. They actually applied to the Federal government to change the denomination to something else, and the Federal administrators rejected the application. Told them it was purchased and built as Baptist, and would stay that way. So, there are services of the other church in a Baptist church.

Somewhere we came up with a 1935 photo of the original members. My wife and her uncle identified all but I think 2 of them, so I made up a special photo with numbers on each person and produced a text message identifying them.

My wife's grandpa was a member of the original founders. He told her in the first days, the Catholics would throw rocks on the roof of the Baptist church to disrupt services.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread