Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tintin Treasure wrote (snip)

There are very good reasons why China has never quite gotten the nerve to get their feet wet crossing the strait to invade Taiwan. According to a recent study by a respected group, the best scenario (for China) has them able to put one million men ashore in Taiwan, assuming zero US, Japanese, Philippino etc intervention on behalf of Taiwan. They would then face the 2.5 million men Taiwan can call up on short notice. The Chinese invasion fleet would also have to slip by the Taiwanese submarines, anti ship missiles and thread their way through the belts of mines the Taiwanese have laid which are in some places ten layers thick. At the shore, the fun just begins because Taiwan has been preparing against this day for decades and can make Iwo Jima look like a cake walk. The biggest threat to the defense of Taiwan is the morale of their own troops, which has been suffering some due to the constant drumbeat of "inevitability" of China invading and conquering the small island nation. If they but stop to consider what their own defenses can do, they would be far more confident of their ability to make any such crossing extremely costly and apt to end disastrously for China.

Side thing but China has also to worry about the various parts of 'China' like Xinjiang and Tibet, Inner Mongolia and of course Hong Kong, any of which could suddenly erupt in rebellion against the Communist dictatorship. In fact China could literally fall apart like the Soviet Union because it is an empire including a number of conquered states full of non-Chinese people longing to be free of the Chinese yoke. Anyway there are very considerable reasons why China has not been loading the troops onto the merchant ships to cross to Taiwan (they don't have enough actual landing craft and would need to requisition some or most of their fleet of merchant shipping to do the job) even if the USA were not supporting Taiwan at all.

Please do continue,

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Thanks Oroblanco...that is a thorough take amigo ....also in my opinion one major thing that has prevented China not to engage in such conflicts is its huge ambition for making business around the world ever since the 80s,,,that economic and business policy has made it to avoid conflicts for itself and for others so that peace would be maintained for the dough to flow ..and it appears it has worked making it a colossal economic might ruled by a communist party making it a unique global spectacle..while doing that it also ensured Taiwan not to be recognized as an independent nation by UN(infact that is the criteria it only asks from any country it invests and as a result has behind it the entire African continent ,many Asian countries probably many latin American and European countries as well should the issue come on the UN table)..hence while maintaining the unique status quo like this ,it has built its riches in past decades...but now things are changing and it may be seeing the possibilities of becoming the big player hence it may feel disturbing the waters a bit in its backyard may not be a problem to send the signal ''a new sheriff is in town'...

Though the fragile internal politics of China could be true, but when it comes to Taiwan, I am afraid history is in the side of the Chinese narrative of how Taiwan became Taiwan which is readily admitted by many western historians..,infact the story might have involved the greatest 'gold heist' of the 20th century8-)8-)...the debate to go forward probably should be to recognize and respect the interest of the people of Taiwan on one hand and avoiding denials of history and what really happened in 1949 on the other hand,,, as denial of the history offends the Chinese communist psychic ...

TT

Last edited:

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT yes I agree with you but one thing I have learned you cannot let those possibilities impede your goals and ambitions. They will happen come what may if the winds of fate do so decide. Is is beyond our powers to change things......Until then Amigos all ya need is a horizon to look to and a fair wind to steer by.....

How down ya escape a storm sail close to wind and sail strait and hard.... Learned that with Kanacki down in the roaring forties.

Crow

Yes indeed Crow,,I agree,,,for myself along many we also pray for relative peace to be sustained as long as possible so that the poor and vulnerable will not suffer as a result of the shameful ambitions of high society and politicians ...

TT

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew the China when they defected to Formosa, in fact they offered me a job with the Chinese National Airlines. In those days Peking was considered a non - Chinese males paradise, everything was for sale, even a girl's virtue. I wonder whatever happened to Tony Brovchenko ? I often ate my lunch under the tree on Coal Hill, where the last of thr Mings hung himself. I spent quite a bit of time in the forbidden City alone, I could ramble on for hours about pre-communist China, I loved it

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I knew the China when they defected to Formosa, in fact they offered me a job with the Chinese National Airlines. In those days Peking was considered a non - Chinese males paradise, everything was for sale, even a girl's virtue. I wonder whatever happened to Tony Brovchenko ? I often ate my lunch under the tree on Coal Hill, where the last of thr Mings hung himself. I spent quite a bit of time in the forbidden City alone, I could ramble on for hours about pre-communist China, I loved it

Gidday Don Jose Amigo This is what the place looks today where you used to have Lunch. Ya could say a blast from the past 70 odd years ago.

location-Memorial-emperor-Chongzhen-Meishan-Beijing-1644.jpg

Crow

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, I'm afraid that I no longer recognize it,, but then some 70 years have passed. It was a sort of a lonely, spindly tree, on a small level space cut out of the hill. For those that are not acquainted with Coal hill It was actually a hill of coal to cook and to keep warm with,. It was built after a siege. Perhaps they are paying homage to their heritage, I also stood on the center of The Universe in front of the Temple of the Moon,which consisted of a white building block with all the others radiating around out ,a covering the entire scuare. I will have to tell you of Spending a Christmas Eve down by the docks teaching basic Chinese to a old, worn out, lady of the night. I have many stories of Old China., some risque, ohers suitable for a bible class.Ya want some ?

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, I used to stay at the Wagonlita hotel on the central Plaza. I believe that it is called the Tinian square now. I remember the first time I checked in. They had an open elevator to the second floor. There were an unusual no of easy chairs all looking in at the elevator. when I asked the clerk at the desk, why ?, he smirkingly told me to wait until about 5 then and I would see for myself.. Come about 5 all of the easy chairs were occupied by retired planters. They would sit there while the Chinese girls with their split skirts went up in the Elevator. They would follow them with their eyes., you could easily imagine what they were seeing / thinking. When I checked into my room, a busboy carried my suitcase, then proceeded to lay out my uniforms, then casually asked me if I wanted a . Blond, Brunette, or a red-headed girl. When I turned his offer down, then he asked "perhaps I would prefer a young, fat boy? ugh! This was an accepted way of life then, I took a jinrickshaw to a restaurant for an exquisite shrimp dinner. Wth a full tummy I then had second thoughts on the busboy's offer , For me it was an easy life, but for the Chinese, it was a nightmare, with the Cummunixfs literally at the front gates. I understand things went very badly about a week later.
buy I waa back in Tsingtao then.

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever seen a house of il repute with 60 young females all parading their wares?? It is a sight to remember. That is the old China I remember.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crow, I used to stay at the Wagonlita hotel on the central Plaza. I believe that it is called the Tinian square now. I remember the first time I checked in. They had an open elevator to the second floor. There were an unusual no of easy chairs all looking in at the elevator. when I asked the clerk at the desk, why ?, he smirkingly told me to wait until about 5 then and I would see for myself.. Come about 5 all of the easy chairs were occupied by retired planters. They would sit there while the Chinese girls with their split skirts went up in the Elevator. They would follow them with their eyes., you could easily imagine what they were seeing / thinking. When I checked into my room, a busboy carried my suitcase, then proceeded to lay out my uniforms, then casually asked me if I wanted a . Blond, Brunette, or a red-headed girl. When I turned his offer down, then he asked "perhaps I would prefer a young, fat boy? ugh! This was an accepted way of life then, I took a jinrickshaw to a restaurant for an exquisite shrimp dinner. Wth a full tummy I then had second thoughts on the busboy's offer , For me it was an easy life, but for the Chinese, it was a nightmare, with the Cummunixfs literally at the front gates. I understand things went very badly about a week later.
buy I waa back in Tsingtao then.

Looking back in that point in time you can see they were desperate people in desperate time. Most of the women would of been raped by the Japanese army. Life was worth nothing. The only way to get food was sell your body. Then when for them the horror a Japanese occupation was over they have to deal with communist uprising or even poorer peasants just as brutal if not more to deal with.

You was lucky Don Amigo you managed to be there in power vacuum in between Japanese occupation and communist occupation.

Thanks amigo for the glimpses into the past, while those times are long gone they are not forgotten.

Crow

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Just a correction, should have said East Turkestan instead of Xinjiang. Turkic people, speaking Turkish dialect and Muslims, under control of China and being herded into concentration camps as we read here. History may be in favor of the Communists but then why did they react so strongly to the Tianamen Square demonstrations, and why keep such tight control over the use of the internet by Chinese? Their grip is steely but not so strong as the ruling elites would have everyone believe it is. Tibetans are still waiting for their chance too.

Don Jose' that is a token of affection (grabbing your hand) and to see if you are going to be friends or not. You did the right thing, not everyone does.

Sorry for the drift off topic there, just wanted to correct my earlier post. Burma is still Burma to me, not going to change it to satisfy their dictator and Ceylon is Ceylon. This name game thing doesn't change anything.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT

Its an amazing quirk of history. Its like today Japan sailing with USA, Australia, Canada as allies in the the Pacific Rimpac exercises there mainly to counter Chinese ambitions.

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TT

Its an amazing quirk of history. Its like today Japan sailing with USA, Australia, Canada as allies in the the Pacific Rimpac exercises there mainly to counter Chinese ambitions.

Crow

Thanks Crow..true..Politics is quite dynamic..funny enough I thought those shark mouthed planes were a thing of the movies,,,I think I watched something like that in an old movie,,but now it seems it was actually a reality...

TT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread