Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I would agree that the travel and tourist industry could take longer time to recover.., However I think there could be a way of recovering some of the business via local or domestic tourism....But it could require hotels, transport industries, restaurants, travel agents, city authorities etc to think outside the box and to come to together to hammer out and innovate attractive packages for domestic tourists ranging from families to young backpackers....it could mean some initial sacrifice on these business bodies, but they would recoup later once the tourists begin to flow...

Another aspect would be that now families may prefer isolated camping trips to camp grounds where they go by their own car , spend time like boy scouts in tents, cooking outdoors and enjoying the outdoor life away from people...some business may benefit on these trend ,like renting camping grounds, car rentals, renting camping gear etc but major restaurants as well as local restaurants could cash in as well as they could establish some satellite shops at the gates of these camp grounds to sell some take away to folks who may want some variety to their camp cooking....

TT

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday TT in my area that is somewhat happening at present. We are not far from Sydney and day trippers are flooding out of Sydney spending in the local economy. During the week days we virtually have the beaches to ourselves but during the weekend we avoid it like plague because it is packed with day trippers. Some people stay overnight and a little longer. The economy in my area is booming at present. But that is not the case in all regions. Distance factors come into play from customer base. Australia has a very different demigraphic than Europe. In which population is condenced into large urban areas rather than many substantial towns. Australia has a rather poor understanding of road structure. They build roads for yesterday and not like Europeans who build roads for tomorrow with the foresight to cope with more traffic numbers. So in essence some areas are in a better position to cope with domestic tourism.

Crow

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki
cargo ships are swell, 60 years ago my crazy mother moved us to Italy via a cargo ship from San Francisco to Genoa, 30 days and visited lots of other ports,canal,etc

Hola Bill

Crazy or not the voyage must of been quite a voyage and experience.

Kanacki

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that would be the new norm Crow,,,Besides the camping trend I mentioned , agro tourism could also have its heyday now as families may want to spend time in a ranch or farm accommodated in separate bungalows ..of course the owners of these business may have to rise to the occasion and increase their guest houses and devise ways of having separate programs for different families to safely navigate and enjoy their time there without mingling with each other (that also applies to campground owners )...Though certain tourist related business especially related to international tourists may be hit hard, other kinds of businesses around domestic tourism may rise and profit out of the ruin....

TT

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday TT

There might be two other factors that might hinder that process across the globe.

1. The decline of jobs being replaced by robots and Artificial intelligence. No country has fully come to terms with social economic impacts that might occur which like it or not is coming if not already started. The rate of retraining is not keeping pace with obsolescence. Thus full time jobs are disappearing and casualization of workforce is increasing while disposable income from the ever declining middle classes is disappearing evolving into haves and have nots. Wage growth has been stagnant in 30 years while living costs are growing.

2. The rise of China on the worlds stage as a super power. But not as a freedom loving democracy but as a communist state that has even drifted from its original principles into tyrannical totalitarian regime adopting and using capitalism as a weapon against us. And we all let it happened as they appealed to our common weakness in the West which was greed.

Thus we moved over the last 40 years vast swathes of industries to China at the expense of own industries for huge profits from cheap labour thus funneling trillions of dollars into a regime that carries a dangerous nationalistic narcissism like the Nazis or militarist Japan did so before WW2.

Right now we are at very least entering a new era cold war period. And if not more so slowly drifting into a very unsteady period in world trade in which the prospect of global conflict is not becoming beyond the realms of impossibility.

In the future the arms race is AI and which country adapts that evolving technology in the future shall be the next dominate super power who will control world trade.

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If I was to give advise to any young person wanting to go out into the world to earn their living? There are zero rewards for loyalty to companies these days? They will chew you up and spit you out if there is a buck to be saved regardless of how loyal you are? It is best to be prepared to diversify your income sources by being able to do many types of jobs in your working life. But most of all be adaptable to emerging opportunities. Live within your means and make an effort of putting a portion of your income aside to grow capital wealth.

Make sure your riding the wave of change not wallowing in the back water waiting to drown.

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crow....You made a very good observation of the global trends and dynamics ....many were just expecting this decade to be a repeat of the "roaring twenties" of the last century...But we certainly need to understand our current times and the dominant economic and political forces and factors at play ,,,also the feedback and interwoven reactions at global scale when something happens or being decided somewhere...it is really quite a strange environment than the last century many of us have lived and grew up...

TT

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was to give advise to any young person wanting to go out into the world to earn their living? There are zero rewards for loyalty to companies these days? They will chew you up and spit you out if there is a buck to be saved regardless of how loyal you are? It is best to be prepared to diversify your income sources by being able to do many types of jobs in your working life. But most of all be adaptable to emerging opportunities. Live within your means and make an effort of putting a portion of your income aside to grow capital wealth.

Make sure your riding the wave of change not wallowing in the back water waiting to drown.

Crow

Indeed My fine feathered friend it helped us well over the years in our boom bust industry. Mining is dirty ruthless business you get in make your money then get out before they spit you out. When you start thinking your indispensable you have already lost because everyone is expendable in that game.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crow....You made a very good observation of the global trends and dynamics ....many were just expecting this decade to be a repeat of the "roaring twenties" of the last century...But we certainly need to understand our current times and the dominant economic and political forces and factors at play ,,,also the feedback and interwoven reactions at global scale when something happens or being decided somewhere...it is really quite a strange environment than the last century many of us have lived and grew up...

TT

Hola TT you will find the Trio amigo got pretty good at predicting global trends because for the last 40 years we were either employee or employer investors in commodity markets and dynamics of various global markets. The unpredictability of lively hoods of boom bust forced us to branch out seeking opportunities to broaden our income revenue.

But to achieve that it came with a long hard slog through boom and bust. So valuable lessons can be learned from some financial pain if your prepared to learn from it.

I try to pass those lesson learned onto my kids but you cannot put an old head on young shoulders? They will have to learn those lessens themselves the hard way.

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya know you cannot please everyone in this world. Some times people can be their own worst enemies. There is a micro social engineering project going in Peru. While indeed there are pros and cons in the yarn but illustrates even the best intentions do not always go to plan.

Remember Morococha Kanacki?

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Crow

I remember that cold wet miserable place for Volcan mining? We drilled exploration holes there.

I remember the local street kids from the local barricado slums pelting us with stones. But we soon fixed that by turning up one day with backs of plastic toys for kids in village. We went from adversaries to besties.

That idea you had every Saturday was let the kids clean the vehicles and trucks although after few hours on those muddy roads they pretty much the same. But that little work given was priceless to many for them. And having lunch in the local canteena provided extra income for the residents. So it softened our presence there.

But that was all done out of our own pockets not by any foresight by our bosses in charge at the time. That little bit of effort went a long way in getting things done.

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the test truth holes results was alright as the copper ore body extended under the town. So mine was taken over by a Chinese consortium and they build a new town with running water sewage electricity and new houses, schools hospitals and churches and a planed town.About 75% of the towns people moved from old Morococha to new Morococha.

The old town had no sanitation, no electricity no school no running water, no proper streets but mud roads . Yet 65 families still refuse to leave regardless of the high lead contamination from the old Volcan mine.

The Chinese to their credit built new houses for them for free with all the amenities plus compensated them with money 145 USD per square foot. In Peruvian sols that is quite a lot considering the average income of Peruvians.. Yet 65 families hold out because they believe they own the minerals under the property.

Once all the villager's are gone the mine will generate 2 billion dollars a year in copper exports to China.

But the new town is not without problems its peoples there is 52% unemployment rate. While modern mines do not require manual labour but more skilled operators of heavy machinery. The new town is progressively being abandoned because of lack of employment opportunities and a imbalance of gender in the town.

Here is new Morococha below.

panoramio-76450350.jpg

Old Morococha below looks mostly destroyed now.

old moorcheba.JPG

Yet there is mentality or ongoing generational mistrust we found there that all governments do nothing for the local people. The old town was a polluted slum. While new town many things could of been done better is still way better than the old town. However for some who rented in the old town was given a home for free plus compensation per square foot for a property they did not even own. It was an opportunity to improve their lives.

Now with a brand new house and money to restart some cannot get out of old mindsets. Even when given an opportunity to better themselves.

While there are always to sides of the story. Some times you have let go of the past and embrace the future.

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another factor the cut off payment for the residents living there before 2005. Since 2005 there was a several families moved there intentionally in hoping of getting a compensation payment and free house.

However those facts often get ignored by journalists wanting to put their slant on the story in which can be manipulated both ways. Either to make the relocation project for mine look bad to satisfy an agenda? Or to make the locals appear to milk money from the project. The truth is somewhere in between as in reality there has been failings with both parties.

But over all its an interesting insight into problems modern mining projects face.

Crow

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kanacki,
Your post #8812 reminded me of my own similar experience. About (hard to believe) 50 years ago my partner and I took his Cessna 421 to Cozumel for the purpose of doing a deep dive off the Palancar Reef. What we noticed was the kids had never seen a Frizbee. After a few days of diving and enjoying the attractions on the island, we returned to Santa Monica and picked up a cargo that we had ordered while in Cozumel. We also made some other arrangements with the school to have the kids meet us at the plane. Of course, we also needed a mariachi band to stir up the kids. From the cargo area we took out boxes of Frizbees and from the wing we tossed out at least a hundred Frizbees to the kids of Cozumel. I had blistered on my hands from doing so much tossing, but the adult beverages that we consumed while observing the kids having so much fun, was well worth the 'distraction' of blisters.
Don......

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Crow

We could go through a whole host mining projects with pluses and negatives, Some have been successful others have been spectacular failures the mining game is dirty business where fortunes can be won and easily lost. It is multi billion dollars plus industry that under pins world economies. That is dominated by large multinational mining companies.

Mining has come a long way from the romantic days of grizzled lone prospector of gold rush era making it big. It is the combined efforts of many working in a formal organization a company that develops such large mining projects thus lowering the extraction cost that small miners cannot much per ton of ore.

Thousands of mines have come and gone cheifly because of one factor extraction costs exceeding ore price per ton excavated.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki,
Your post #8812 reminded me of my own similar experience. About (hard to believe) 50 years ago my partner and I took his Cessna 421 to Cozumel for the purpose of doing a deep dive off the Palancar Reef. What we noticed was the kids had never seen a Frizbee. After a few days of diving and enjoying the attractions on the island, we returned to Santa Monica and picked up a cargo that we had ordered while in Cozumel. We also made some other arrangements with the school to have the kids meet us at the plane. Of course, we also needed a mariachi band to stir up the kids. From the cargo area we took out boxes of Frizbees and from the wing we tossed out at least a hundred Frizbees to the kids of Cozumel. I had blistered on my hands from doing so much tossing, but the adult beverages that we consumed while observing the kids having so much fun, was well worth the 'distraction' of blisters.
Don......

Hola Don Mackaydon

Those moments are precious amigo to see the joy on Kids faces spreads to local adult population in reciprocal good will. I cannot count the amounts Times it allowed us to access places.

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Kanacki I have some sad news an old acquaintance of ours has passed away. John Conally sailed around the world with his Mexican wife. I cannot count the times we met them at different ports of the world.

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Crow

Sad news indeed. A true ocean wanderer even in his retirement years. Last I heard of him he was in St Tropez. It was suspected he recovered a chest in cave in an island off new Caledonia in 1993. Nothing was proven it might at only a miffed archeologist claiming ancient artifacts was looted from the cave and a square hole dug inside the cave like a box or chest removed.

Kanacki

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatever he found was mixture of coins. He showed hand fulls of old coins one night after a drinking session on his yacht. Some Spanish, Chinese some English and some Spanish. All late 18th century or early 19th century coins before 1860's I suspect the chest came a looted sandlewood trader. Many ships and crews was massacred back then.

There was archeological excavation in cave where the square hole was found and traces of an imprint of a chest that had been removed. Here are two diagrams of cave top view and side view.

treasure in a cave.JPG

treasure in cave plan two.JPG

The cave was more of rock shelter overhang. Another thing was that they found two skeletons what was not indigenous but European. One had buttons that was distinct of early royal navy from Napoleonic era. Most of the cave floor had even earlier signs of native habitation dating back to the 15th century. Stone and shell tools and evidence of a fire pit.

Crow

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread