ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now Kanacki just because I enjoy flirting with them does not mean I want to sleep with them. You know flattery gets you everywhere amigo as your mister old silver tongue himself. :tongue3:

Crow

Ah but we are amigo, only amateurs compared to Don Jose Amigo the charm master himself. :notworthy:

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Kanacki we will shall soon see if that reversed engineered algorithm is correct amigo and truly if there is a flaw.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
During the war of south American independence. There was in south of Peru a flourishing wine industry run by the Jesuits. and after they returned in small number after the 1767 expulsion resumed the business in 1814 of wine growing exporting wine to Italy.. The business managed to accumulate wealth over 6 years until it was unattainable by the effect of the war of independence. A ship for Italy used to visit Pisco to import the wine to Italy.

Fortunately for the good fathers the clay jars that held the wine became an excellent was of smuggling wealth out of Peru from various churches back to Rome. However the very last voyage before the Priests fled the Italian ship with sick crew was looted by revolutionaries. The ship from Italy had plague that broke out before arriving in the bay of Pisco and the vessel was run aground and destroyed. Before they could load the wine. And nearly all the crew died of plague. Many of crew sick was cared for by a fathers but succumbed to their illness and was buried in mass grave. So fathers monastery was on the verge of being looted by revolutionaries themselves, So in desperation hid some of the silver and jewels in Clay Wine containers not far from monastery and vine yard in the desert. In hope hope of recovering one day the treasure.

Knowledge of this treasure was passed on through indirect family members of one of the priests. Where a box and letter giving all the detail of where this treasure was hidden and some coins was kept in the family for nearly 180 years.

And it was in the early days of treasurenet one such member posted the story and contacted 2005? He showed part of that letter and gave more details in a pm to me. Well I had other things going on at the time and lost contact with him. As he was trying to recruit a team to recover this treasure as he was an American but had a family connection to the family that had the letter and coins passed down to them.

Well I just found out that in 2013 some sliver coins was found as well as gems 7 years ago. Not far from the old monastery.

I need to search my files to show you part of the old parchment and we do have photographs of old church now in ruins.

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah here it is.......

It was 2004 my memory must be slipping.

Ship was called "Estrella del Mar" Was taken by force in Pisco (Peru) They took the ship (by force) to the south of Lima Unload and sunk the ship

One of his relatives found a little box in a town near Lima in 1930, it contained some gold and silver coins and a sheet of paper with directions as to how to get to main treasure. The first page tells the motivation, story etc. the back page contains directions as to how to get to the treasure....

crusxx.gif

Well I found out yesterday by another person perhaps another relative that in 2013 treasure was found in the desert believe to be from those events.

However it must be said there are discrepancies in the story.

Crow

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well here is my anniversary of my near death* experience.* It was 18 years ago that I had a near death experience*** wanna hear about it ?

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah here it is.......

It was 2004 my memory must be slipping.

Ship was called "Estrella del Mar" Was taken by force in Pisco (Peru) They took the ship (by force) to the south of Lima Unload and sunk the ship

One of his relatives found a little box in a town near Lima in 1930, it contained some gold and silver coins and a sheet of paper with directions as to how to get to main treasure. The first page tells the motivation, story etc. the back page contains directions as to how to get to the treasure....

View attachment 1872290

Well I found out yesterday by another person perhaps another relative that in 2013 treasure was found in the desert believe to be from those events.

However it must be said there are discrepancies in the story.

Crow

Continuing the yarn amigos there was much I did not know of the letter? I was not privy to the exact details, But described vaguely about ruined church and Pisco wine trade which was developed by the Jesuits. Yet after the expulsion many of these monastery wine estates was handed to other religious orders some failing and went into disrepair. It was only around 1814 Jesuits because to trickle back in and recover abandoned estates or estanicias as they was called. But revolution and winds of change was upon Peru and they never really got a foothold again and wine trade declined.

However I was not sure if the letter was just a invention to get gringo investors for a sham treasure hunting. Especially anything coming out in the 1930's?

But in the course of researching for other things I did come across by chance a mention of the events described. However with few more small variations but very close to what I was told. One of the problems the letter that the directions had archaic names that do not exist today as it was in the time of the letter written.

The descendant of the family who made the discovery of the document believed the ruin was out in desert. He also claimed he had a 1931 aerial picture of ruin of old monastery. He claim their was remaining clay vats and palm trees and foundation visible. So where was this ruin and could it still be seen today?

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As so a ghost of a story was forming. That had possible potential. However without all details of the letter I unable to fully establish all the facts....

And that is the problem with such stories its hard to know what was real and what was fiction?

At the time we was intensely researching another story and the above story was only at the time a distraction. But did discover a mention of the event in a journal dating back 1830's.

The Journal mentioned a shipwreck on the coast of vessel that left Lima with cholera as their was an outbreak in Callao the port and in Pisco itself. It had spread among the captain and the crew. All was Italians. Most was dying by was transferred by cart to monastery in land. The area where this ship ran aground was between Lima and Pisco. To complicate thing all this happened when the country was in insurrection and insurgents looted the vessel before Spanish could regain it.

But this account was given by a english sea captain told to him in 1830;s when visiting Peru. There was no mention of buried treasure in the account but did mention the ship was looted.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A little more information about the Jesuit reductions along the narrow coastal valleys of Peru. Most of coast of Peru is desert. However the Andean foothill collect fog from the ocean and water condenses and run into little streams and springs that flow down to the sea.

This made some areas near these springs and stream fertile.While other areas are covered by shifting sand dunes. One such area is around Pisco each area developed a large monastery with churches out buildings with various satellite villages around it to house the workers of monastery and vine yards the Jesuits developed over time.

The wine and sugar industries became the cash cow for Jesuits as records show most of the inland monasteries had to be supported by the Jesuit business operations of the coast. That require a lot of slaves as well as free labour from the native population. Most of the wine produced went to Potasi in Bolivia in the great silver mining districts. the wine was transported by donkeys with one clay wine pot strapped on each side. Whole donkey teams would make the trek over the mountains to Potasi. They also transported through the port of Pisco via coastal shipping wine to Lima to the Spanish Vice Royalty there. They also had a agreement with Spanish to import some wine back spain as well Italy for use in clergy.

Silver Pilar dollars rolled in making Jesuits wine operations one of the most successful. So successful that it make other merchants outside of the order extremely jealous and bitter towards the Jesuit monopoly of the industry. Eventual as history tells up of expulsion these vast estates was sold off. Some ended up in private hands other into the hands of other orders. But the Jesuit experience in 1767 was lost and most fell into disrepair abandoned or converted into growing other crops. 90 % of wine production fell and has never fully recovered even today.

Crow

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not experienced in such, but would Google Earth have adequate resolution to be useful?

Hola Bill

It help greatly but some times what see from above is deceptive on the ground. We do have a suspected site? But we also must reiterate suspected?

Whats might of been abandoned in 1930 aerial photograph has 90 years of resettlement. The location we suspect has partial resettlement of outbuildings and a small village has formed around the remains.

old mission church.JPG

That as you could imagine be problematic. Since Crow was not totally privy to all the clues to find this treasure we are behind the 8 ball so to speak.

Since we have no clear directions. No clear inventory of this alleged treasure. And no way contacting the source Crow first heard the story from.

It is more an exercise on deduction through research than the actual treasure itself .

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Bill

Across the road there is vineyard much smaller behind the church building there the remains of an olive grove. It was first time in Peru when we drove through Pisco from Lima via the coast and cut up over the mountains in Bolivia to Potasi. We had a breakdown with drill rig. a leaky welsh plug I recall. The engine was losing coolant and cooking. We was promised a good truck and rig and got stung by the company with a poor maintained truck. Crow was filthy half the tools was missing so he had make do what had. We sent the FWD back to Pisco for Coolant because idiots before had just been using water with no anti freeze. So we was stuck for few hours. Naturally we had a small audience of locals offering help and opinions. The village was more a hamlet of poor huts but among the ruins of reduction out buildings. This was 6 years before we even knew the story.

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Kanacki and Bill

Yeah the truck was a piece of crap.

panoramio-25186895.jpg

panoramio-25186968.jpg

We did not have much time or idea as we focus in getting out of Peru into Bolivia. For us back then it was just another ruin.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread