Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Crow about 1km or two down the road was cemetery traditional above ground one. This was in the hinterland from the coast. But we cannot be sure that is the right Jecuit reduction in the valley of Pisco?

Bill I think there was one or two other monasteries in the valley?

Without all the details we might just be making a risky assumption? And amigo that is not in the trio's modus operandi

Still good exercise in seeing if we could narrow down this alleged location?

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Crow, did you guys photograph everything?
unless as a tourist proper I never even carried a camera

Gidday Bill we still had old fashioned film cameras back then. Not like what we have today with digital. Half my pictures back then was crap. 24 pictures on film 14 either blurry, finger over aperture or cut the heads off people or double exposure.

We was at work and back then we had a saying what happens on job stays on the job. These days kids are obsessed with selfies we wasn't we just lives every moment for the moment.

Even now we have a terrible mindset to take enough photographs even with digital cameras for even the simplest of things. It just comes from a long drilled mindset not to leave us in a situation that it might be used in some way to incriminate us be being taken out of context.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think there might be another way to determine how many Jesuit mission was actually in the valley of Pisco?

But its late and old Crow needs to roost.....

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday amigos

I recall my mentioned date palms. Date palms are not indigenous to South America. The Jesuits planted them nearby.

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday amigos

I recall my mentioned date palms. Date palms are not indigenous to South America. The Jesuits planted them nearby.

Crow

Hola amigo the village down the road had date palms. But its not the only location or ruins of churches and church out building in the valley. It must be remember it was a few years ago a devastating earthquake destroyed many on the old churches in the valley. To make matters worse whole sand dunes have consumed large tracts of arable farm land.

panoramio-106975312.jpg

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The palms was not the sole clue just one of a few. Here is some more to the north of the Pisco valley.

palm grove.JPG

Its possible there could of been at least 6 or 7 estancia with own churches church buildings workshops etc.. not including the main cathedral in Pisco itself with an adjoining college.

Crow

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
a ship from Italy would seem to necessate more than one estancia
did they excavate canals to move water?

edit: you guys are kind of a tag team, eh

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Bill in short yes. On both accounts.:laughing7:

Old Crows wings are clipped and the big Kanacka's boats are on the slips. Nothing better to do due to covid. We keep deluding ourselves we are retired but old habits die hard amigo. One thing I guarantee you this bunch of geriatrics is piloting and scheming projects all over the globe. If ya want more mystery and intrigue into equation add Hardluck.

All part of our evil master plan for world domination.:tongue3:

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Bill there is a document with all the names of Jesuit priests of where they lived in Peru. However that document will help determine the names of Jesuit priests that might define the amount of estancia's in the Pisco valley. There is other also in Ica and in the valleys north of Pisco. Even further south in Tacina there was one one time wine production. Most of it declined after the expulsion of the Jesuits. Their Estancia was sold off by the crown and others fell into ruin. However this is only part of the problem because this 1811 incident was long after the expulsion and was in effect connected to priests from other orders using the old Jesuit established estancias and private individuals. Wine production although dwindling continued right up until the South American wars of independence. And even post independence but at much smaller capacity.

The Jesuits tried to return in 1814 but never did they had the power and influence of times past or sprawling estates. Today the Jesuits have only one collage in Peru in Lima.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
every estancia is a potential site
map any canals, but it is pointless w/o any leads
weekender kinda activity, got to live there

Good point and quite true. In short any project would require local knowledge and collaboration. As you can imagine it is no easy task finding the right people for such a project. However with out all the information as you can see it is a large almost unworkable area to search. However fear not the trio has another ace up our sleeves.

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigos

In an international Date palm conference Abdelouahhab Zaid, ‎Vincent Hegarty made the following statement about Date Palm Cultivation in Chile and Peru ( South America ) :

Current Status and Future Prospects for Development Alejandro Pavez ... date palm in the Viceroyalty of Peru , pointing out that ' the fruits from the date palms grown in the floodplain of the ( Pisco ) valley ripen as well as of the Jesuits that provide historical evidence of their establishment in 14 large landholdings during Peru's Colonial Period.

14 Estancias in the Valley.

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday Bill in short yes. On both accounts.:laughing7:

Old Crows wings are clipped and the big Kanacka's boats are on the slips. Nothing better to do due to covid. We keep deluding ourselves we are retired but old habits die hard amigo. One thing I guarantee you this bunch of geriatrics is piloting and scheming projects all over the globe. If ya want more mystery and intrigue into equation add Hardluck.

All part of our evil master plan for world domination.:tongue3:

Crow

Hola Crow geriatrics? Speak for yourself amigo.:tongue3:

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Crow, interesting but without an actual target.....

Ah but although I lost contact with my contact he did mention several other things over several emails.

He like us had the problem of finding out which Harcendia Estancia these Italian seamen died and was buried at? While he gave clues via different emails one a Jesuit monastery Estancia with date palms. In which we know there was about 14 now. But he also mentioned the location was of this alleged treasure being in a small capilla on the estate of this estancia that was once involved in wine making Jesuits. In which once again it appears all 14 had date palms. But 13 of them may not of had a small chaple some distance away from the estancia.

He went on the treasure was buried in a clay wine vessel near this small capilla chapel devoted to the dead Italian sailors in 1811. And there is one thing more?

Or perhaps several things more?

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
To understand better we have to understand the events surrounding 1811. Peru in general was still staunch pro royalist in all of South America. Buenos Aires Argentina dependent from a weakened Spain and made a bold play for what was Bolivia after the silver mines. With the Republican army swept ideas of independence through the lower classes in Peru thus many peasants rose up against repressive landholders who was mainly Spanish.

Because of the Napoleonic war demand had fallen for goods from Peru with also falling demand from silver mines that had been in decline for last 50 years. And the Spanish families that had taken over the wine business from the Jesuits around Pisco and Ica resorted in cutting costs by cutting the conditions to almost slave like working conditions with their workers.

Which this in turn started to create unrest in the rural districts. However after a brief unsuccessful uprising it was taste of things to come. And some Spanish saw it as writing on the wall and left. Others was determined to hold on. By 1825 dependence was all but guaranteed. But many Spanish families was driven out by insurgents thus in desperation hid their wealth in fleeing for their lives.

With the see sawing control between Insurgents and royalists the families had a vain hope that could recover hidden valuables during the conflict. In the end many fled the country leaving most of their possessions behind for ever.

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Some how directly or indirectly the letter in the box fell into the hands of My informant. Who has spent some of childhood there before living in United state in Australia. However he failed to understand the context or at least for his own protecting only told me enough to interest me. But over several emails he told me more than he realized. Each email he would reveal one more clue without knowing he was telling more collectively.

He mentioned another landmark that it appears that would most likely exclude 12 sites regardless. It his belief that the ruined Capila is out in desert because of roving sand dunes across the farm land. And indeed in western part of the Pisco valley it is indeed a huge problem. However that was not the case so much in the eastern part of the Pisco Valley. The landmark mentioned is sandwiched between two of the most eastern estancias.

Crow

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread