Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Doc the trouble is old crow is expected not to change....after so many years..A leopard finds itself hard to change its spots.....I have have been visited by a chance blow in...ya never know what comes knocking at my door and old flashback from my past.....So ya see every if I play the family card I cannot escape because it is who I am.......nest no no nest......

I too have heard the term and there is many stories connected to it origins. Some say it is a derogatory term in fact it is a Spanish term meaning foreigner of non Spanish speaking background. Some Latin American Countries used it as corruption of Green Army uniform usually Green go to leave hence gringo. Others claims such as American troops singing a song was corrupted by Mexican locals as gringo.

So yes an interesting question Prospector mike.

Crow

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Interesting version. I have heard the story told a different way, of course. It is really hard sometimes to get the real truth of these old sayings. I've heard that the pioneers in the Alamo were singing this very song before Sanna Anna marched on them. I heard that Santa Anna set a spy to the fort days before he engaged it. The spy heard them singing ""Green Grow The Lilacs"", and then reported back to Sanna Anna that gringo's were hold up in the fort. I don't know if either one is true but wherever it started, the name stuck and the Mexicans started calling all Americans gringos. I don't think that it is a derogatory slur, only a misunderstood term used to describe what was once an attempt to place a name on those who defied the Mexican rule of their territories. Those living in Texas were living in a Mexican owned territory, and as such were subject to their rules. Interesting history needs to be researched to find the actual truth of some of these old tales. Good Luck. rockhound

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FINE ANSWERS, ALL. I HAVE STUDIED SOME TEXAS HISTORY IN MY TIME. THE NICKNAME WAS NEVER BROUGHT UP, THAT I REMEMBER.
I WAS BORN IN CRANE, TEXAS, NOT FAR FROM THE BORDER. I NEVER HEARD THE TERM UNTIL I WAS IN ARKANSAS.

THERE ARE MANY ANSWERS TO SOME QUESTIONS. THINGS LOST IN HISTORY TEND TO TORMENT FOLKS LIKE US, AS WE SEEM TO FIND MANY MYSTERIES IN THE PLACES THAT WE SEEK OUT.

MIKEL
#/;0)~

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Prospectormikel,

Gringo is the most popular term, but there is also Gabacho, Bolillo, and Guero. I have never known them to be meant in any derogatory way, just as a means of identification much like White, Anglo, and Caucasian. Gabacho was first used for Frenchmen, then Mexicans used it for any Latinos in the United States just as the term Pocho. Gachupin was, or is used for whites from Spain. Bolillo is actually a French bun, or bread. Guero is used to refer to anyone of white complexion regardless of race.

So over the years the most common terms for White, Anglo, and Caucasian in Spanish are Gringo, Gabacho, Guero, and Bolillo. There is no need to take offense of any just like Latino, Hispanic, Mexican American, Chicano, and Pocho are just terms of identification also.

Sadly there are always some who claim to be offended by words.:dontknow:

Homar

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Coazon, gracias.
Here, I am often referred to as a gringo, as are all whites…..in a similar fashion, those with dark skin are negritos (negro being the word for black); no offense is intended by either here……it is simply describing an obvious aspect of a person……..certainly there are many other words which are intended to offend but there is no need to write of bad stuff.
It is interesting to hear of the possible origins of the word as I have wondered about it.
I agree, sadly today, people focus on words and not actions, behavior……I have memory of something said as a child, sticks and stones may break my bones but your words will never harm me……..

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of course it may be combined into words such as my wife occasionally calls me when her Latino temperament explodes " "Pinche gringo, tienes ice water in your veins" ?????

Perhaps el poche Homar can explain

Of course it all depends upon intent - -

ya ole SOB, have a cuppa coffee

" you are a complete SOB !

:pot-of-gold:Thrn again Homar is effectively mi Compadre.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Don Jose…….I am well aware of many modifiers that can be used…….but that is true for anybody…….guess I am just a harmless nice guy and have not heard them used……depending though on who and how, it runs a risk of a response that may or may not be only verbal…..
Vaya con Dios

Hey, it is only 31 and sunny, here now and it is a little too hot to spend much time outside till later…...……
Living here, I well understand the siesta concept…..

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of course it may be combined into words such as my wife occasionally calls me when her Latino temperament explodes " "Pinche gringo, tienes ice water in your veins" ?????

Perhaps el poche Homar can explain

Of course it all depends upon intent - -

ya ole SOB, have a cuppa coffee

" you are a complete SOB !

:pot-of-gold:Thrn again Homar is effectively mi Compadre.

:censored:, and I was starting to believe all that El Holy Saint talk. Are you drunk again Compadre? Here drink this :coffee2:, when you sober up, you can rinse your mouth with Holy water. Am I going to have to tell your wife where Oro's Huskies got the blue eyes from?

Yes some words from the bad list are used by lovers, friends, and relatives, in a jokingly good way.???

Homar

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Homar, I well understand that word, it has two meanings. I address many of my friends as Hola, pinche Mexican, They five it right back to me nut other then that no cochino words escape my saintly lips - ask Judy, I am a complete Gentleman..Homar ya wouldn't would you ?

Oro thinks differently, remember he is sheep lovin country.

dece t  size coffee.jpg

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELL, THIS OLD GREENGO IS TICKLED PINK TO SEE SO MUCH ACTIVITY HERE. LEARNING SO MUCH ABOUT "TITLES" AND SUCH.
BY THE WAY. I HAVE SOME OF THAT WATER THAT I READ ABOUT. I USE ABOUT FOUR CUPS OF IT AND DROP IN AN OLD SOCK FULL OF COFFEE GROUNDS, AND BOIL THE HELL OUT OF IT.

THAT'S MAYBE A BIT TOO MUCH. HUH?
MY WIFE SAYS THAT I GO TOO FAR WITH MY HUMOR. MAYBE SHE IS RIGHT.

I REALLY AM LEARNING A GREAT DEAL HERE.
SO MUCH TO LEARN. SO LITTLE INTERNET....

:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

COFFEE IS ON ME
#/;0)~

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Homar, I well understand that word, it has two meanings. I address many of my friends as Hola, pinche Mexican, They five it right back to me nut other then that no cochino words escape my saintly lips - ask Judy, I am a complete Gentleman..Homar ya wouldn't would you ?

Oro thinks differently, remember he is sheep lovin country.

View attachment 1080448

Yes "pinche" is an actual Spanish word for kitchen helper, but used around here when referring to the mean, or stingy.

No I wouldn't tell her, I am not pinche.:laughing7: Now you have me wondering how Oro improved his herd to produce so much wool? :icon_scratch:

Homar

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Gracias, Amigo, but none of the sock coffee.....I will stick with mi Vino. If my libation must smell like feet, I prefer mine with a little alcohol. :tongue3:

Wow sounds like some folks may need to learn how to make sock coffee! :tongue3: If it smells or tastes like feet, something probably was done wrong...:laughing7:

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senorita JudyH……..now I would agree that after a week on the trail, about all is not smelling so pretty……yet our vino supply would be assured with your dedicated vino mule that Señor Don Jose has so kindly supplied.

Where is that black feathered one of late? Surely that little black feathered chick is comfortably sleeping in the nest or perhaps on the elder black feathered ones roost……could it be the lovely Señorita Crow keeping him in her claws, beak to beak.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Senorita JudyH……..now I would agree that after a week on the trail, about all is not smelling so pretty……yet our vino supply would be assured with your dedicated vino mule that Señor Don Jose has so kindly supplied.

Where is that black feathered one of late? Surely that little black feathered chick is comfortably sleeping in the nest or perhaps on the elder black feathered ones roost……could it be the lovely Señorita Crow keeping him in her claws, beak to beak.

Old Crow just learning the secret to a successful married life..and that is.... not to have an opinion.:laughing7: Just fluttering around close to the nest...Still have many projects to do so please do continue....

Crow

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CROW, THE SECRET TO A SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGE IS "DO THE DISHES." NOT ALL OF THE TIME, BUT ON A REGULAR BASIS. ALSO MISS A FEW CLEARLY OBVIOUS SPOTS, SO THAT SHE CAN, SHALL WE SAY, FEEL THE NEED TO TAKE THE JOB AWAY FROM YOU. YOU WOULD NOT WANT HER TO TAKE YOU FOR GRANTED.

AS FOR MY COFFEE SKILLS. I CANNOT BE BEAT. FRESH SOCK, EVERY TIME.
MY WONDERFUL WIFE MADE COFFEE A FEW DAYS AGO. SHE SAID IT WAS SO GOOD THAT SHE DRANK THE WHOLE POT, BEFORE I GOT UP.
I AM A LITTLE SUSPICIOUS AS SHE HAS ONLY MADE TWO OR THREE POTS IN THE LAST 39 YEARS, THAT I AM AWARE OF.
SHE LEFT NO PROOF OF HOW GOOD IT WAS. THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS MUCH TO CARRY.

I HAVE ONE MORE "QUESTIONABLE" WORD, IN NEED OF DEFINITION.
I FIRST HEARD IT WHILE WORKING IN CALIFORNIA. THERE WAS ONE FELLOW THAT WAS LARGE AND LOUD, THAT, ON A REGULAR BASIS, WOULD DECLARE HIS SUPERIOR ABILITIES TO OUT DO ANY ONE ELSE IN THE FACTORY. THE HISPANIC WORKERS WOULD CALL HIM WITH A NAME THAT I GOT THE FEELING THAT HE DID NOT UNDERSTAND. HE SEEMED TO BE PROUD OF THE NICKNAME, WHILE THE OTHERS WOULD SNICKER AMONGST THEM SELVES.
NO ONE WOULD TELL ME THE MEANING. I AM A LITTLE HESITANT TO TRY TO TYPE THE WORD, AND AM AFRAID THAT IT MIGHT BE A LITTLE OFF COLOR. IF IT IS, SOMEONE LET ME KNOW SOON AND I WILL REMOVE IT.

THE WAY THAT THEY SAID IT WAS EQUALLY INTERESTING. IT STARTED OUT AT A LOW NOTE AND VOLUME, AND EACH LETTER MOVED UP THE SCALE AND INCREASED IN VOLUME.

AT THE RISK OF MISSPELLING IT AND MAYBE EVEN GET BANNED FROM THE SITE. HERE IT IS... CABASONE! AT LEAST THAT IS HOW IT SOUNDED TO ME.

SOME ONE CLUE ME IN, PLEASE.
MIKEL
#/;0)~
:censored:???

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
CROW, THE SECRET TO A SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGE IS "DO THE DISHES." NOT ALL OF THE TIME, BUT ON A REGULAR BASIS. ALSO MISS A FEW CLEARLY OBVIOUS SPOTS, SO THAT SHE CAN, SHALL WE SAY, FEEL THE NEED TO TAKE THE JOB AWAY FROM YOU. YOU WOULD NOT WANT HER TO TAKE YOU FOR GRANTED.

AS FOR MY COFFEE SKILLS. I CANNOT BE BEAT. FRESH SOCK, EVERY TIME.
MY WONDERFUL WIFE MADE COFFEE A FEW DAYS AGO. SHE SAID IT WAS SO GOOD THAT SHE DRANK THE WHOLE POT, BEFORE I GOT UP.
I AM A LITTLE SUSPICIOUS AS SHE HAS ONLY MADE TWO OR THREE POTS IN THE LAST 39 YEARS, THAT I AM AWARE OF.
SHE LEFT NO PROOF OF HOW GOOD IT WAS. THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS MUCH TO CARRY.

I HAVE ONE MORE "QUESTIONABLE" WORD, IN NEED OF DEFINITION.
I FIRST HEARD IT WHILE WORKING IN CALIFORNIA. THERE WAS ONE FELLOW THAT WAS LARGE AND LOUD, THAT, ON A REGULAR BASIS, WOULD DECLARE HIS SUPERIOR ABILITIES TO OUT DO ANY ONE ELSE IN THE FACTORY. THE HISPANIC WORKERS WOULD CALL HIM WITH A NAME THAT I GOT THE FEELING THAT HE DID NOT UNDERSTAND. HE SEEMED TO BE PROUD OF THE NICKNAME, WHILE THE OTHERS WOULD SNICKER AMONGST THEM SELVES.
NO ONE WOULD TELL ME THE MEANING. I AM A LITTLE HESITANT TO TRY TO TYPE THE WORD, AND AM AFRAID THAT IT MIGHT BE A LITTLE OFF COLOR. IF IT IS, SOMEONE LET ME KNOW SOON AND I WILL REMOVE IT.

THE WAY THAT THEY SAID IT WAS EQUALLY INTERESTING. IT STARTED OUT AT A LOW NOTE AND VOLUME, AND EACH LETTER MOVED UP THE SCALE AND INCREASED IN VOLUME.

AT THE RISK OF MISSPELLING IT AND MAYBE EVEN GET BANNED FROM THE SITE. HERE IT IS... CABASONE! AT LEAST THAT IS HOW IT SOUNDED TO ME.

SOME ONE CLUE ME IN, PLEASE.
MIKEL
#/;0)~
:censored:???

I believe it means "fathead". However my Espanol is extremely limited and just enough to get me in trouble, so I welcome any correction.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oroblanco nailed it, speaking about the word of course, "cabezon". There are many big headed ones out there called "cabezon" by their own family that they don't mind it coming from others no matter how ornery they may be.:laughing7:

Homar

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! EVEN AFTER I BUTCHERED THE SPELLING I GOT BETTER "SCHOOLED" ON THAT WORD THAN ANY ONE HAS IN THE LAST 38 YEARS.
YOU GUYS NAILED IT BASED ON HIS PERSONALITY AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP.
ONE OF THE GUYS TRIED TO EXPLAIN IT TO ME, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW ENOUGH SPANISH AND HE DIDN'T KNOW ENOUGH ENGLISH. HE HELD HIS HANDS AROUND HIS HEAD AND ROLLED HIS EYES IN CIRCLES. I THOUGHT IT WAS SOMETHING LIKE A JACK-O-LANTERN.
"BIG MELON HEAD"

FOLKS MIGHT START THINKIN' I'M JUST TOO CHEAP TO BUY ROSETTA STONE.
I HAVE ENJOYED GETTING SCHOOLED.

THANKS FOR THE HELP, AND I'M GLAD I DIDN'T PUT SOMETHING OUT THERE TO GET BLACK-BALLED. :coffee2::coffee2:
COFFEE IS ON ME.

#/;0)~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread