Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 455 of 462 FirstFirst ... 355405445453454455456457 ... LastLast
Results 6,811 to 6,825 of 6918
Like Tree37260Likes

Thread: Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    El Dorado: Gold is where you find it.

Apr 2015
    Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
    2353 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by KANACKI View Post
    Hello JB

Love seeing those dolphin fish in your avatar. I have been fishing nearly every day

I do not see much of Crow and Hardluck these days. Although we keep in touch. When a viable project is on we come together for the job and then move on. There are things we can talk about other things are best left unsaid in public at least. :-) Even if we really said would we really be believed anyway? Perhaps that is a better thing?

I have doubled my net worth with very little effort So I cannot complain. These days I have been pottering around on my property. My house is built into the rain Forrest in short a series of linked Polynesian style tree houses.

My sons have my sailing vessels these days having their own adventures. I have had my fair share. I sailed all over Pacific south east Asia around south America the south and north Atlantic, the Baltic and Mediterranean, Caribbean sea. I have enjoyed the last two years or so on my island. I cannot complain one bit. As for Crow and Hardluck well amigo they are doing very well for themselves. None of them need to work, its just old habits die hard for them. Its who they are my friends.

Everything for me runs on jungle time these days. I am away from "The petty bickering of governments" and "Squabbling companies corporations screwing over the little guy with all doom and gloom. I am away from all of that amigos. Free to do as I want when and where to enjoy the sunrises and sunsets with out guilt or worries. Freedom is the power to be the master of you own destiny my friends. I do not need to dream I am living the dream.

Kanacki
    Hi, Kanacki. As everyone so far has said, we are all glad to see you back, and hopefully maybe some of your other compatriots can be convinced to join in as well. If not, so be it, but all are welcome. I have been in occasional contact with Crow as well, over the last couple of years, and know he is living the good life too. Interestingly enough, the last time I was in communication with Crow he mentioned my avatar and the fish as well. We don’t get many here in SoCal, but they are a treasured catch. They are known as “Dorado” in Mexico and SoCal, so I thought they might fit in well. I remember the stories about your vessels. Perhaps you can share a few more tales about some of your voyages? I always enjoyed talking with you about your experiences on the sea.

JB

Mar 2015
    1461 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
    Hi, Kanacki. As everyone so far has said, we are all glad to see you back, and hopefully maybe some of your other compatriots can be convinced to join in as well. If not, so be it, but all are welcome. I have been in occasional contact with Crow as well, over the last couple of years, and know he is living the good life too. Interestingly enough, the last time I was in communication with Crow he mentioned my avatar and the fish as well. We don’t get many here in SoCal, but they are a treasured catch. They are known as “Dorado” in Mexico and SoCal, so I thought they might fit in well. I remember the stories about your vessels. Perhaps you can share a few more tales about some of your voyages? I always enjoyed talking with you about your experiences on the sea.

JB
    Hello JB

How we catch those fishing our part of world is stretch a tarp between 4 floating drums in water. Come back an hour or two later troll some lures. I think the shade attracts food for the fish.

Stories I have many yet these days I am hindered by island time.

Kanacki

us

Apr 2015
    2353 times
    Hello JB

How we catch those fishing our part of world is stretch a tarp between 4 floating drums in water. Come back an hour or two later troll some lures. I think the shade attracts food for the fish.

Kanacki
    Around here we just look for floating seaweed or debris. The shade does seem to attract them as well. Not sure if it is the bait, or just the shade, but I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as they are there. Island time is fine, we are used to waiting for things on this thread.....post when you can. I always enjoy a good sea story.

JB

us
    May 2010
    texas
    2560 times
    Hello JB

Kanacki
    Howdy Kanacki,

We use a similar tactic here in the man made ponds of South Texas. One time we went fishing for bass in one of those ponds, and no one was having any luck. One of our friends layed his rod down, went and cut a Huisache limb, tied a rope to it and swung it into the pond. About ten minutes later he had the first fish, and after a while everyone was casting around that limb in the water, all catching fish.

Homar

ec
    May 2013
    Ecuador, America
    2212 times
    Kanacki, great to have you posting again. How son of Crow doing?

us

Apr 2015
    2353 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doc-d View Post
    Kanacki, great to have you posting again. How son of Crow doing?
    According to Crow, he is "starting school next year, and running his dad ragged."

JB

Charter Member

Jun 2015
    24237 times
    Happiness
    According to Crow, he is "starting school next year, and running his dad ragged."

JB
    ======

Karma ? And definitely time to start locking up your daughters, ( or grand daughters ) !

it
    Sep 2016
    Mexico
    5553 times
    Kanack, it was so good to hear from you. Yes I did go downhill after la Bert passed on, it almost threw me for a final loop. I actually came to the States to die, I figured that the funeral expenses would be taken up by the VA, but the best laid plans of men an nice---??'am actually up to 146 lbs, was 98 Am playing around with the book and Tayopa.I still love your version of the "Haki-a dance with Crow and.hardluck that was a clasic.have to learn two handed typing over agi\ain psst, don't tell the others, but I have saved a few stories for the book. or here.
    Last edited by Real of Tayopa; Dec 06, 2018 at 01:10 AM.

Charter Member

Jun 2015
    24237 times
    Happiness
    I agree with Don Jose in regards to that now famous Haka dance performed by the "Trio", but don't forget Don Jose your taking a leak on a jaguar is also famous. Both had potential lethal consequences.

us
    Apr 2011
    N/W ARKANSAS
    FISHER
    7183 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon1 View Post
    I agree with Don Jose in regards to that now famous Haka dance performed by the "Trio", but don't forget Don Jose your taking a leak on a jaguar is also famous. Both had potential lethal consequences.

I agree, wholeheartedly!
    Who else has ever pulled that off?!?

Folks donít speak in the form of our mutual compadre, any more. I believe that he may set the style of writing back to this generation of people who prefer personality above character, and getting above doing, and, placing their footprints upon sacred ground ( Just to take a selfie to post,) above the respecting history and learning from it.

I do not desire seeing this new generation leading the world

An island with a small library of old books.... That is my El Dorado!

Live it well Kanaki , for all of us...

#/;0{>~
    ....JESUS IS LORD.
    ...................THE BIBLE IS GOD'S WORD.
    .................................. HEAVEN IS MY REAL HOME.

THAT'S JUST THE WAY I WAS RAISED TO SEE THE WORLD.

REALLY, I'M NOT SHOUTING. I HAVE A VISUAL PERCEPTION PROBLEM, AND TYPING IN ALL CAPS HELPS ME TO PROOF READ WHAT I TYPE. IF I EVER NEED TO DRAW ATTENTION TO ANYTHING I'LL MAKE IT BOLD SO IT STANDS OUT. I MEAN NO HARM. #/;0)~

Mar 2015
    1461 times
    Hello Homar

Just one of the many fishing tricks you can learn off the locals the world over. As JB said it mimicks what they like and triggers a feeding frenzy for some reason.

Simon you may be pleased to know old crow is being well behaved these days. Maybe even a contender for sainthood? :-) But every now and again the old pirate comes out in him?

Doc His little lad you can see him following one day in his old dads footsteps? If they do not both get lynched by the me too movement :-)

I spent many a day fishing along the northern coasts of new Britain and new Ireland. There is parts of coast I grew up with local natives that even still. When I visit they treatment like a long lost relative. Years ago when I was about 16 an opportunity came up in Rabaul to buy a small timber sail boat that once owned by a Dutchman. Who had sailed this tiny sailboat all the way to New Guinea from Holland.

Broke and owing money he left the country leaving the boat. It was a single masted sailing boat with a twin keel so in places of low tide she could sit upright on her keel. She had a fore and aft sail. a cabin in the bow with hatch above, a small hand pump toilet shower compartment. A small galley with gas cooking stove, ice box and a galley dining table that folded down into a small double bed. just under the entrance hatchway there was radio and small chart table opposite. More than two people the yacht was cramped. the open bridge was at the rear. She was steered by a tiller. yet there was controls for a small inboard low horse power Perkings diesel engine. The seats on the sides of the cockpit either sat over fuel water tanks while your feet rested on a floor with hatch over the small engine.

She was up on stocks on shore looking rather grotty. She was called " geest van de wind " meaning "
    Spirit of the wind" in English. My father looked at and his eyes rolled up and tried to discourage me from buying it. But I just fell in love with it blind to all else. Having saved up enough to by it. It took me nearly whole year to get it seaworthy. I had to clean her hull and repaint it. She under the paint I discovered had a copper hull. At first my only sailing experience was with small catamarans.

Now this was a step up to sailing something like a caravan with sails around it. But it did teach me a lot about sailing. First I used to only sail it during the day around the bay of the caldera Rabaul sits on. I really learned about fickle winds tides and currents back then. I learned to tack and to navigate. I was only later I got more confident to anchor over night. Explore further further away from Rabaul. My side kick was a young man call Tiko. He ever was a gentle giant. The nicest most easygoing person you could meet who loved any chance to got to sea and fish.

No air condition on this little yacht we always sail hatches open and windscoop to force cool air into the cabin. Most cooking was done on the deck. My off sider Tiko was a man mountain he away slept on the deck with a tarp over the boom. Visiting tribes along the coast was amazing experience. While some might of thought to take advantage of this rather young knave white feller. Tiko towered over everyone. His fist could hammer you into the ground like a tent peg, and strong as an ox. Various natives of different villages. You could see it in their eyes look up and up to Tiko with a WTF expression on there faces in awe. He was a man mountain. Generally if you respected the locals they respected you. Culture always dictates you see the village chief and ask permission to land. All creeks and waters are owned by some one.

On our trips we would catch fish take them to inland villages who do not normally have fish. In appreciation they would kill a pig and have sing sing feast. These fishing trips was of freedom my friends. But then reality kicked in. Like with everything in life the everyday need to earn a living. Tiko my big friendly giant of friend had no concept of white mans ways. This need to work? Why he used to ask me? All you need is sea the land and water to nourish you everything else is immaterial. But the world does not stand still, change is inevitable even in Tiko's world changes was afoot. Superstition in his own tribe over his gigantic size had made him an outcast.

I learned a lot from Tiko how to hunt with bows and arrow made with my own hands. How different plants can be used for medicinal purposes. How to make fire. Tiko was a master in his world he lived in. They did not need to know more of the outside world? Their world was far away from the outside world? Yet the outside work was coming to him as the mineral wealth and trees beckoned the hungry eyes of strangers voices there to plunder. Well the time came for me to work and in a parting gift to native friend I gave him my boat “Spirit of the wind:” Tiko made a living supply small villages among the islands for many years. But my love sail boats never waned they just got bigger.

New Guinea in reality is group of independent tribes more loyal to their clan than any concept of nationhood. In reality at time of independence they was a tribal society that tribes people were lucky to travel outside their tribal area. A village 2 km away could speak another language and be totally alien to them. While in New Britain they had been longer under influence of Christianity. But in the interior of New Guinea it was my friend the lost world stepping back thousands of years in time to stone age man.

These was priceless experiences that lay the foundations of an amazing journey my friends well before meeting the rest of trio. And long before the Haka incident. Many people and places and miles have passed since then.

I imagine Jose amigo and Prospectormikel and others that you still have many stories to tell also. Join me in a Coffee?

Kanacki
    Last edited by KANACKI; Dec 06, 2018 at 05:27 AM.

us

Apr 2015
    2353 times
    Thanks, Kanacki. I would be glad to join you in some coffee. That is just the kind of story we were looking for. It is my impression that New Guinea, at least the interior, is still much the same as it was. I have never been there, and probably will never get there, but it is a place I would like to see.

JB

Charter Member

Jun 2015
    24237 times
    Happiness
    Kanacki and Don Jose, your stories of how you met, interacted, and treated the natives is an inspiration of truly treating people the way you wish to be treated. It is refreshing to hear stories of almost complete opposites meeting and developing a relationship and getting along even when barriers are obvious. You guys, ( and everyone else that posts on "this" thread ), make it an honor and privilege to know and call a friend. I am humbled to be in the presence of those posting on this thread.
    Please continue with the stories.

Mar 2015
    1461 times
    Thanks, Kanacki. I would be glad to join you in some coffee. That is just the kind of story we were looking for. It is my impression that New Guinea, at least the interior, is still much the same as it was. I have never been there, and probably will never get there, but it is a place I would like to see.

JB
    Hello JB, short finger, the following film was shot of tribal war in the highlands in 1963. My father in charge of tribal police tried to stamp out these tribal wars in highlands. He had mixed results.

Years later when the trio was drilling in highlands we came across a Waring party. Their battles are highly ritualized more symbolic than total open warfare. But some do get killed. Truth be told us sophisticated white men kill much more efficiently than these stone age primitive natives ever did. Who go home at dark as they are afraid of ghosts who roam at night. Fear tribal superstition rules here. To see a white feller at night to them frightens them as they think we are ghosts.

You may now begin to understand why the Haka so screwed with their minds as it ties in with there ritualistic way of thinking. Thankfully these ritual tribal wars are much rarer these days.

The more passion the more physiological intimidation to the enemy. Even in a Rugby game you can see the ancient traces of the days of tribal warfare. The Haka was powerful ritual magic. That even the natives of highlands can be bewitched by it and did so back then in that time and place.

Kanacki
    Last edited by KANACKI; Dec 06, 2018 at 11:57 PM.

it
    Sep 2016
    Mexico
    5553 times
    kanaci,
    i second th groups enthuasims for your stories. Kanac by some weird reasoning it reminded me of my second trip to the falls of Basaschii N on the river
    er,I had crossed over to the Chinapas River canyon and proceeded N through unspoiled canyon country intendihq to camp alone as was my custom - I was used to camping alone, always have. When I arived I found a group of new comers already canped at the foot of the fallls, after initial contact I asked them if thwy were goig fishing - at tha time the ft of the falls were realatively untouched, they replied no, since they had forgotten the poles etc, so I nvited them to a trout dinner. they asked if I was goimg to cut a pole, I replied "no, that I was about to catch their trout dinner with my bare hands and proceeded to just that. After I had produces5 or 6 nice trout
    they wanted to know my secret. It's simple, first you have to pecool your hands, then carfully feel under the large rocks for a trou, then slowly move your hand towards his gills, when you are next to his gils you suddenly clamp down and you have you dinner in your handAs long as is at ambient temp. of the water he will at best only move a little bit allowing you to feel for his gills You can quickly clean ouyt a pool. Try that Kanaci hehehe.Incidentally, I think it is about time that you meet me Kanacki --as I ce was.
    Last edited by Real of Tayopa; Dec 06, 2018 at 11:53 PM.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links