Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill,
This article may interest you.https://thelawdictionary.org/article/what-is-a-police-welfare-check/
As an ex-cop myself (LAPD-Venice Division), conducting Welfare Checks was consider a public duty.
Sending a mutual friend is a great idea, but no one has stepped up as a 'mutual friend' to go check.
So now what would you do? What if it were one of your parents living along--would you wait 'to be informed'? I hope not.
Don....

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Don
kudos for sticking it out
different people desire more privacy

an aside, I learned of my mother's death 11 years after the fact
back to Don José

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Joseph’s son was caring for him if I understood things correctly.

We are lucky to have gotten to kinda know him through “pen pal” letters so to speak.

I think he would take comfort knowing his pals missed him and were concerned.
We all know if he were able, he would be here telling some yarn or another.

I only knew him enough to respect him.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What is written below is from a posting three years ago; after Berta's death. The posting source is here: https://agoracom.com/ir/ucresources...s/704034-rest-in-peace-berta/messages/2184664
A lot said in this posting can apply to our friend, Don Jose. Fair winds and following seas to you, Joseph.
Don.......
[h=3]Rest In Peace Berta...[/h]
posted on Feb 03, 2018 09:15PM
[FONT=&quot]It is with a heavy heart that I share the news of the passing of our dear friend Joseph Curry's (BertaCurry/Don Jose) dear wife Berta.
Of all the great loves in this world, their story was the one that gave me hope for my own happy ending. A beautiful courtship that he so enjoyed sharing with his friends here.
Hold those you care about close tonight, my friends.
You are in my thoughts and prayers during this tender time, Joseph.
With Love,
Pam

[/FONT]

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very sorry to learn of the sad news.....I joined the TN forum sometime in 2014 and somehow over the years I made this room of Don Jose my default place to check and interact ..,I have noticed Don Jose had many friends here who cared for him and respected him. Given his age and vast experience he had a lot of interesting stories to tell us ...,and he proved to be a rallying figure around whom many of us enjoyed coming here to hang out...We will surely miss him....May God's comfort be on his immediate family members and loved ones. R.I.P Don Jose! and thank you.
I hope this room(thread )will continue in his honor.

Kind regards

TT

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I've often thought the best posts get lots of replies. A legacy of over 600 pages and almost 51,000 likes is something to be proud of. I'm sorry Don Jose never got a chance to conduct the research into J. Frank Dobie's archives.

I'm also sorry he never finished and published his book. There's a hard lesson there for all of us with a pile of started projects - we only have a certain amount of time to get a great deal done.

I will miss him!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never been very good with words...But poetry is something that I think I am pretty good at...So here is a little something that I pulled out of the air...

Maybe One Day We Might Meet (Bussokusekika)

Rest in peace Joseph
May you find all your answers
To all your questions
Regarding said Tayopa
I hope Bertie is well too
Maybe one day we might meet

Edwin Tanguma 3/10/2021

I wish Oro well as well...It is tough when we lose someone close to us...

Ed T

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jose had outlived all of us, before we met him. He had set a pace that none of us will ever match.
He has called us in from the dark and cold, into the light and warmth of his campfire and shared his sock coffee, freely.
He has taught us and inspired us, and given to us, a unique perspective of our world and history.

His camp and trail, is in all of us, because he cared deeply and shared freely.

Homar said, There is no ballad....
Perhaps, not yet written, but so great a light does not fade quickly, so long as there is pen and hand there is a ballad waiting to be penned.

Until then, my heart hears this paraphrased verse, of another song.

... Though be on joyous wings, cleaving the sky, sun moon and stars forgot, Fly upwards, fly.

Happy trails dear friend.

#/;0{>~

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Amigos

Farewell amigo Don Jose may one more star burn brightly in heavens for you and Bertie. While the you may have passed into eternal twilight your inspiration lives on. In all of the hopes and dreams of those who have shared a sock coffee and yarn. Sleep well my friend.

Kanacki

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to post in the memory of Don Jose, a poem which was written by Joe Ribaudo at http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tayopa/373235-early-tayopa-newspaper-story.html

" Real de Tayopa

Tayopa lay resting behind the veil, It's legend grew to quite a tale.

Searchers came from far and wide, but the Jesuit treasure continued to hide.

Jose appeared from out of the mist, his mind held the map that could not miss.

For years he fought to make it his prize, but it stood protected by thousands of lies.

The door creaks loudly as he pushes it back, he peers inside and his smile cracks,

The bones of the padres are piled inside, they crumble to dust as if trying to hide.

Jose is in awe as he gazes at their treasure, the souls of the natives too many to measure.

The Jesuits had mined this land too well, their leaving had opened the gateway to hell.

He steps back in fear and closes the door, leaving Tayopa and its souls, to return no more.

Joe Ribaudo "

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In memory of Don Jose, here is a somber guitar tune by the renowned Chet Atkins from Don Jose's generation. It was originally a song tribute for Vincent Van Gogh by an American singer. Chet played the tune on the guitar with his unique touch. I am afraid it is a bit melancholic...

TT

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, that is a great song about the life of Vincent van Gogh ('Starry starry night') written and sung by Don McLean 50 years ago.
There are a lot of contrasts to the lives of van Gogh and Don Jose; one being that Don Jose lived a life twice as long as van Gogh.
Don.....

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mackaydon. Yes, there is no similarity between Don Jose and Vincent. I just like the guitar tune because it captures the somber moment when you think of someone who have passed away...

TT

Yes, that is a great song about the life of Vincent van Gogh ('Starry starry night') written and sung by Don McLean 50 years ago.
There are a lot of contrasts to the lives of van Gogh and Don Jose; one being that Don Jose lived a life twice as long as van Gogh.
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread