Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 466 of 467 FirstFirst ... 366416456464465466467 LastLast
Results 6,976 to 6,990 of 7004
Like Tree37916Likes

Thread: Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2011
    N/W ARKANSAS
    FISHER
    7408 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
    He was on yesterday at 7:57 PM. Probably hasn't been enough interesting to comment on in the thread recently. I would have thought that your "Planet X" theory would have elicited some comment, but apparently not.
    Thank you, Shortfinger.
    He was pretty persistent on that for a while.
    I kinda figured that he would have said something, if he was on ....

Glad that you knew that he was on.

I get a little concerned when he gets quiet.

I hope your New Year has been going as planned.

God bless.

#/;0{>~
    ....JESUS IS LORD.
    ...................THE BIBLE IS GOD'S WORD.
    .................................. HEAVEN IS MY REAL HOME.

THAT'S JUST THE WAY I WAS RAISED TO SEE THE WORLD.

REALLY, I'M NOT SHOUTING. I HAVE A VISUAL PERCEPTION PROBLEM, AND TYPING IN ALL CAPS HELPS ME TO PROOF READ WHAT I TYPE. IF I EVER NEED TO DRAW ATTENTION TO ANYTHING I'LL MAKE IT BOLD SO IT STANDS OUT. I MEAN NO HARM. #/;0)~

us
    El Dorado: Gold is where you find it.

Apr 2015
    Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
    2397 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PROSPECTORMIKEL View Post
    Thank you, Shortfinger.
    He was pretty persistent on that for a while.
    I kinda figured that he would have said something, if he was on ....

Glad that you knew that he was on.

I get a little concerned when he gets quiet.

I hope your New Year has been going as planned.

God bless.

#/;0{>~
    Yeah, sometimes he says something, sometimes he just lurks..... As for me, the last two months haven't been real good, but it's only money and goods, so nothing really important has been lost....

JB

it
    Sep 2016
    Mexico
    5718 times
    As you probably know, I was a master, horizontar bormdardier and Nordan bombsight mech. We used open bowls of mercury to establish our true verticle to calibrate our sights. , we also used hypodermic needles full of Mercury to shoot down any flying insects, in other words you cuald saying that we were swimming in mercury, yet none of us ever came down with Hg poisening I just recently read where a home was completely renovated and the grounds outside replaced for fear of Hg contamination, this from a mercury thermometer, sheeshh, a thermonter ? Is the public being sold a bill of goods, or is it a serious threat ?

us
    Apr 2011
    N/W ARKANSAS
    FISHER
    7408 times
    I canít tell you how many times I was swabbed with
    ďMONKEY BLOOD ď aka Mercurochrome!!

Kinda makes me wonder how I lived to be 13, let alone 63!

By the way, what did ya think about the plant X from another solar system, being drawn into our solar system and hitting our sun... Theory??

Good to hear from ya

#/;0{>~
    ....JESUS IS LORD.

REALLY, I'M NOT SHOUTING. I HAVE A VISUAL PERCEPTION PROBLEM, AND TYPING IN ALL CAPS HELPS ME TO PROOF READ WHAT I TYPE. IF I EVER NEED TO DRAW ATTENTION TO ANYTHING I'LL MAKE IT BOLD SO IT STANDS OUT. I MEAN NO HARM. #/;0)~

us

Apr 2015
    2397 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Real of Tayopa View Post
    As you probably know, I was a master, horizontar bormdardier and Nordan bombsight mech. We used open bowls of mercury to establish our true verticle to calibrate our sights. , we also used hypodermic needles full of Mercury to shoot down any flying insects, in other words you cuald saying that we were swimming in mercury, yet none of us ever came down with Hg poisening I just recently read where a home was completely renovated and the grounds outside replaced for fear of Hg contamination, this from a mercury thermometer, sheeshh, a thermonter ? Is the public being sold a bill of goods, or is it a serious threat ?
    I remember as a kid, using Mercury (that we got from broken thermometers) to polish dimes.....Just like many of the things that happen now days, I suspect that people are over reacting. The old adage, better safe than sorry taken to extremes. I also rode around without seat belts for a good part of my early life, but try it now, and i owe the government a hefty fine.....

JB

us
    Feb 2009
    Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
    Prism V
    916 times
    I also remember pouring out a vial full Into
    my hand in science class, stepping out into the
    and throwing it. I'll never forget how it slid across
    the floors and climbed the walls when it hit. They
    would probably demo the whole school and campus nowdays.
    -Weekender

Charter Member

Jun 2015
    26334 times
    I remember as a kid, using Mercury (that we got from broken thermometers) to polish dimes.....Just like many of the things that happen now days, I suspect that people are over reacting. The old adage, better safe than sorry taken to extremes. I also rode around without seat belts for a good part of my early life, but try it now, and i owe the government a hefty fine.....

JB
    =======
    Hey JB, I remember doing that exact same thing but with a quarter AND in Science class when I was in 7th grade.

I wonder if we attended the same school weekender ?
    Last edited by Simon1; Jan 10, 2019 at 10:05 PM.

us
    Apr 2011
    N/W ARKANSAS
    FISHER
    7408 times
    I remember my late partner Jim, slid a bleach bottle across a counter and asked me to set it up on a shelf.
    He didnít say what was in it and I didnít ask...

when the jug cleared the edge of the counter, I hit my head on the counter and I ran out of arm before the jug hit the floor.

It was about 2/3 full of mercury!

I never saw it coming, and I never got him back..

#/:0{>~
    ....JESUS IS LORD.

it
    Sep 2016
    Mexico
    5718 times
    I usedv it in my assay work, had fun with it. but I had a friend who had a tube containg Hg under presure that split while he was examing it, he swallowed a lot of mercury but it never appreciable effected him, However, it was reccomended as a purgatie in the past centuries, in other words you were supposed to drink it and jump up and down, the weight of the mercury was supposed to - well mechanicly solve your problem.
    Last edited by Real of Tayopa; Jan 11, 2019 at 04:13 PM.

us

Apr 2015
    2397 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon1 View Post
    =======
    Hey JB, I remember doing that exact same thing but with a quarter AND in Science class when I was in 7th grade.

I wonder if we attended the same school weekender ?
    Wow! A quarter! You must have been rich! It was all I could do to get a dime! Or, the other possibility is that you are much younger than I am.....

JB

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    2112 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Elemental Mercury isn't really all that harmful - at least relatively speaking. It doesn't easily get absorbed through the skin, so therefore in acute cases of exposure (broken thermometer, etc...) it isn't terribly dangerous.

Mercurochrome (technically called merbromin) is only about 1% in an alcohol or water solution so once again isn't terribly harmful to you as far as acute exposure, however to make a long story short the FDA forced the product to have to undergo rigorous and expensive testing sometime in the 1990's in order to be approved for sale and since nobody wanted to spend the $$ and there were already better antiseptic options, mercurochrome basically stopped being sold.

Inorganic and organic mercury salts do cause exposure problems, but in most cases those are due to chronic exposure (with a few exceptions like a famous small but acute exposure to dimethyl mercury that caused a researcher's death in 1996) in certain industries that use those chemicals. Buildup of mercury compounds in fish that are then consumed by humans is also a chronic potential issue.

Where a person REALLY has both chronic and acute risks associated with mercury are due to inhalation of mercury vapors!! In any situation where you use mercury as a way to form an amalgam with gold for example and then drive off the mercury by burning it off, you are really exposing yourself to dangerous vapor that is readily absorbed into the bloodstream where it affects the central nervous system - that's not a theory, but a known scientific fact. If you sett up a safe distillation apparatus to recover the mercury vapor back as a liquid and avoid ever exposing yourself to the vapors that solves the problem, but back in the days (and I'm sure in many cases now too), people just don't go through that extra set of steps.

I think people over-react to breaking mercury thermometers, but better safe than sorry I guess. The fact is elemental mercury when exposed to the atmosphere will be vaporized slowly over time (more readily in warmer environments), so I imagine that's where the over-reaction comes from.

All in all, mercury like just about every other chemical should be respected but not feared, and precautions taken to avoid any exposure be it from inhalation, ingestion, injection or absorption.
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

Charter Member

Jun 2015
    26334 times
    Wow! A quarter! You must have been rich! It was all I could do to get a dime! Or, the other possibility is that you are much younger than I am.....

JB
    ======
    Wish I was young shortfinger, but I believe we are within 1-2 years apart and I am leaning towards only a one year age difference.

it
    Sep 2016
    Mexico
    5718 times
    I actually had a Mercury mine in Mexico. Ill see if I can find a picture of it and the story - it's posted somwhere in TN

Charter Member

Jun 2015
    26334 times
    Thanks Senor Don Jose, that would by neat to see.

us
    Apr 2011
    N/W ARKANSAS
    FISHER
    7408 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan64 View Post
    Elemental Mercury isn't really all that harmful - at least relatively speaking. It doesn't easily get absorbed through the skin, so therefore in acute cases of exposure (broken thermometer, etc...) it isn't terribly dangerous.

Mercurochrome (technically called merbromin) is only about 1% in an alcohol or water solution so once again isn't terribly harmful to you as far as acute exposure, however to make a long story short the FDA forced the product to have to undergo rigorous and expensive testing sometime in the 1990's in order to be approved for sale and since nobody wanted to spend the $$ and there were already better antiseptic options, mercurochrome basically stopped being sold.

Inorganic and organic mercury salts do cause exposure problems, but in most cases those are due to chronic exposure (with a few exceptions like a famous small but acute exposure to dimethyl mercury that caused a researcher's death in 1996) in certain industries that use those chemicals. Buildup of mercury compounds in fish that are then consumed by humans is also a chronic potential issue.

Where a person REALLY has both chronic and acute risks associated with mercury are due to inhalation of mercury vapors!! In any situation where you use mercury as a way to form an amalgam with gold for example and then drive off the mercury by burning it off, you are really exposing yourself to dangerous vapor that is readily absorbed into the bloodstream where it affects the central nervous system - that's not a theory, but a known scientific fact. If you sett up a safe distillation apparatus to recover the mercury vapor back as a liquid and avoid ever exposing yourself to the vapors that solves the problem, but back in the days (and I'm sure in many cases now too), people just don't go through that extra set of steps.

I think people over-react to breaking mercury thermometers, but better safe than sorry I guess. The fact is elemental mercury when exposed to the atmosphere will be vaporized slowly over time (more readily in warmer environments), so I imagine that's where the over-reaction comes from.

All in all, mercury like just about every other chemical should be respected but not feared, and precautions taken to avoid any exposure be it from inhalation, ingestion, injection or absorption.

Back about seventeen years ago, I was working as a millwright journeyman, on a crew of 20 to 50 men, working two shifts. I was on the day shift, as was the company safety man.
    He would make a visit about once a week.

At the peak of the most important and hazardous work pace, he discovered a discarded equipment panel that had a mercury switch that was broken.

He taped off an area half of a football field, right in the middle of the big process that we were being pushed to get finished!!

He, then called the safety department from the company that we were contracted with, and decided that they needed to build a berm around it
    (Just in case it spilled on the floor..!)

So they had to get one of our employees that was certified to work in a confined space area to leave another job, an hour long drive, to suit up and check the air quality with a meter, before he was allowed to build the berm and collect the dime sized bubble with small plastic squeeze bottle and transfer it into a glass bottle!

All of this insanity over nothing!!!

Shut down the entire job site for about three hours.

We had 40 to 50 men and women on the clock 🕰, some of them were making over $50 an hour on overtime.

My supervisor had me and my crew, casually walk the rest of the job site to find any more of those switch boxes
    (With instructions to cover them up until the insanity was gone, so that we could properly dispose of them, without costing thousands of dollars)

We were lucky that our safety man didnít call OSHA...

I had seen it the day before all of this, and had planned to collect it to add it to my mercury bottle at home, but I had forgot to bring my squeeze bottle, probably because I was worn out and didnít have any time for prospecting!

By the way, the safety man retired, a few weeks later...

#/80(:~
    ....JESUS IS LORD.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links