Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday TT

One of my favorite early Dutch Baroque work was The Laughing Cavalier (1624) is a portrait by the Dutch Golden Age painter Frans Hals in the Wallace Collection in London, which has been described as "one of the most brilliant of all Baroque portraits

Cavalier_soldier_Hals-1624x.jpg

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday TT

One of my favorite early Dutch Baroque work was The Laughing Cavalier (1624) is a portrait by the Dutch Golden Age painter Frans Hals in the Wallace Collection in London, which has been described as "one of the most brilliant of all Baroque portraits

View attachment 1924199

Crow

Thanks Crow!...That sure is a great work that captured something extra...something more than the usual likeness you find in portraits... Many years ago I had the chance to visit the Frans Hals Museum in the city of Haarlem in the Netherlands and I recall great works of portraits there as well.

p.s. speaking of arts, not long ago I read one apparently famous book in the arts world entitled "The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art". It was written in 2008 by an economist who made insider investigations for many years. It is quite a book and highly recommended by many to understand the oddities and intrigue in the contemporary arts world .He had a sequel in 2014 but skipped that and I am now reading his third book which he wrote in 2017 entitled "The Orange Balloon Dog: Bubbles, Turmoil and Avarice in the Contemporary Art Market" ..the way he presents it is quite humorous and full of insights ...

TT

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday TT sadly there is a lot of hypocrisy in the art world. Companies and corporations use art as a legal tax haven to park money from taxation and in time make capital gains on such work under the pretext of a non profit foundation exempt taxation liabilities.

For example he world's most expensive painting to sell at auction is Leonardo da Vinci's Salvator Mundi, which sold for $450.3 million on November 15, 2017 at Christie's. Pablo Picaso, les Femmes d alger version o 1955Sold for: $179.4 million at Christie’s (May 11, 2015) Amedeo Modigliani’s Nu couché (“reclining nude”) achieved the second-highest auction price for a painting at the time: $170.4 million.

Andy Warhol’s Triple Elvis in short a photograph taken from Elvis b grade movie "Flaming star" manipulated into three identical images of him and sold for Sold for: $81.9 million at Christie’s (November 12, 2014) Three photgrah with figure of Elvis cut and posted together, Would taken a good 15 minutes work worth 81 million go figure?

The money these works love them or hate then cannot justify the prices being paid for them thus some thing else is happening. That is tax evasion under the pretext of foundations promoting cultural patrimony. The bit coin of the elite. Untouchable.

Crow

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off topic posts deleted. Joe who started the thread about his adventures has passed. Please keep posts about him and his adventures, not random off topic subjects.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks :coffee2:

Those mountains shown throughout this thread sure looked…shall I say deadly?
I’m used to treacherous canyons, but the scale of the terrain was magnitudes larger.

No forgetting your canteen. That’s for sure. I have to wonder what light was used while traveling at night?

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RIP Don Jose. I hoped he would see the opening of the mines in his time... Now hoping his legacy is well protected.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting ready to get away for 11 days down South...I am not sure IF I will be able to head to Durango though...I have ordered a new classifier and 20 mesh sieve just in case I am able to head into the hills...IF not, I will always have them on hand IF I am ever able to make it to Reno...IF I do get to make a trip into the hills I just hope that I am not struck by lightning during a thunderstorm...lol...I have been checking the local weather forecasts and it appears that I just may be heading into the rainy season...

Oh well...Only time will tell...I guess we will just have to wait and see...Tayopa is still on the back burner, as is searching for diamonds near Reno...I hope that I am able to make it to reno one October...The last time I found my Little Tia Juana it was in May...Who knows???Only God knows IF I will ever find another diamond...

Ed T:)

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Ed, hope you find something, and make it back for show and tell.

Homar

Thank you Homar…I don’t think i’ll make it to Mazatlan nor Durango but I will try to make the best of the trip…There are a couple things I hope to accomplish this trip…Due to the recent goings on with carjackings and such I will not be driving a car down South this trip…I have made a reservation to fly from Tj to Culiacan…Who knows if I will catch an Uber or a taxi from the airport to the centro camionera to catch a bus to parts unknown…lol

There is a little run down house that I have my eye on in Mazatlan…I hope to try to check it out…It is in a suburb on the outskirts of the city and it may be had for a song…It needs to be refurbished to become move in ready but I hope to try to refurbish it before I turn 65…I can always dream…If I can work out a deal with the seller I can always lease it for 50 years or so…Who knows…

I hope to retire in Mazatlan one day…Then I just might be able to make it to Durango to try to retrace my steps to my version of Tayopa…We will just have to wait and see…

Ed T :)

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from down South?Here is a picture from my current trip that some of you may find interesting. 39767835-DCBD-4BB0-A7D0-8FF47FF377EA.jpeg IF I am on the correct path to Tayopa, I wonder IF these could be the 2 runt hills?

In any case, I had a wonderful time. I too wonder IF I have been to the Mesa campanero. Only time will tell.

Ed T:)

Last edited:

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a terrible week. I had a very valuable piece of ore taken from me at the airport on the way home. There went the down payment on the house of my dreams. Lol

Oh well. I will not cry over spilled milk. I wish whomever ends up with said ore much luck in trying too find where it came from. Life will go on, as will I.

Ed T :)

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I have wondered how he was doing, he lived a good, long life. enjoyed his postings, and he was one of the few who really understood why no digging a few hundred feet away from me where I believe is hundreds of millions of dollars of Aztec treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread