OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nother story ---
Bill Baily was a typical 'Ugly" American,. He was a roly poly mid aged typical American who was constantly raising money for various projects over the world. At the time that I am speaking of he Worked out of alamos. He quckly wormed his way into the graces of The American colony in Alamos.

His most famous account in Alamos consisted of when he developed a curious relationship with a local gal. Tha house that he was staying in was next to one that was being renovated.

As I mentioned he had developed this relationship with a localgal, so one day when she visited him, they soon had their cothes off. He proceeded to chase her around the Patio until he finally caught her and gigling and laughing made love in the Patio. However unknown to him the workmen in the adjoining house were working on the roof and formed a delighted audience to the entire affair. He never found out..

His project at the time consisted in developing cattle. Normallly the cattle were free ranging on a combined private and gov land with a free water source. My brother in law was also raising cattle on the gov land and used the free water for his cattle.

Bailey cme up with the idea that if he fenced off the water hole that he would then have more land to run his cattle, so he fenced it. My brother in law promptedly tore it down, as was his legal right This was frustrating to Bailey so one day he invited me for coffee and broached the subject of the water hole.

He then bluntly informed me that should Juan tear down the fence again they would shoot him. I reminded him that I was considered an excellent shot by the town and that if any such thing happened that I would be duty bound to avenge it by the vendetted system and that I wouldn't go after the shooter but the man that orderd it - baily himself.

No further word was ever exchanged but Baily and Juan continued their work at the water hole.

The next that I heard, he was on one of the islands below Los Mochis where he had convinced the Mexcan owners that he could make their cattle pay off. He showed up at my home in Alamos with a proposition, I was to shoot the trespassers - legitment as it turns out by squatters rights, who also lived on the island. Naturally I turned his lucrative offer down.

The next that I heard from him was that he was ivolved in timber dealings in Panama, again with the same type of offer regarding the Indians that lived on the tract of land that he was contriving to control, Again I turned him down.

The next that I heard of him was in Panama, that two nude women ran down the hallway screaming in one of the better hotels and that when they investigated they found Bailey nude on the bed dead of a heart attack.

I guess that he went out as he always joked about.

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Story, Don Jose! I've known a few like him myself. Did you ever run into a man called Don Nelson? He lived in Guadalajara for several years. I think he was in oil exploration, as I remember, but I could be wrong about that. Died in the late 70s or early 80s, I think. Kind of a shirt tail relative of mine. I never knew him, but know some people who did. How many cups of coffee did it take for us to get that story? It was worth it. Here's a deposit on the next one!

:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

JB

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!!!

FIRST UP. ED T.
GREAT MOVIE,... I AM MORE OF A "GREEN MILE" FAN. IF YOUR SHADOW THAT YOU SPOKE OF IS A CHILD OR GRANDCHILD, THEN YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR TREASURE AND NEED ONLY PROTECT AND CHERISH IT.

NEXT UP. DON JOSE.
I AM TAKING MY TIME AND WORKING ON SEVERAL TOOLS TO MAKE SURE THAT I GET ANY PROOF OF TREASURE THAT IS THERE. MY FIRST TOOL IS MY LIST OF THINGS TO DO. ONE OF WHICH WILL BE PHOTOS OF SOMETHING THAT I WANTED TO STUDY A DECADE AGO, BUT DIDN'T BECAUSE MY PARTNER THOUGHT IT WAS OF MODERN WORK. I THINK THAT IT WILL TAKE AN HOUR OR TWO, BUT WORTH IT TO ME. I WILL BE USING MY CAMERA A GREAT DEAL OF THE TIME. AND WILL POST PHOTOS OF SOME OF THEM BEFORE I LEAVE, PERHAPS IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS, JUST IN CASE ANYONE HAS A SUGGESTION OF SOMETHING THAT I DON'T HAVE AT HAND.

NEXT UP. STILL DON JOSE.
THAT WAS A GREAT STORY AND IS DESERVING A PAGE OR TWO IN YOUR BOOK.:thumbsup::hello2::coffee2::coffee2:

AND FINALLY... WONDERING IF YOU KNOW THAT DON NELSON, THAT SHORTFINGER BROUGHT UP?

MIKEL
#/;0)~

:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AN AMAZING COINCIDENCE. BUT, FOR YOU, IT WAS WITHIN THE REALM OF POSSIBILITIES.

#/;0)~

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AN AMAZING COINCIDENCE. BUT, FOR YOU, IT WAS WITHIN THE REALM OF POSSIBILITIES.

#/;0)~

It was unlikely, but certainly not impossible. I realize that Guadalajara is a little out of your area of travel most of the time, but....

On another note:

Ladies and Gentlemen, as we approach this Memorial Day weekend, please remember to stop and say a prayer in remembrance of those who gave their all for our country, and all the others who have served over the years. And raise a cup of coffee or whatever your choice of beverage is in salute to them as well. I know I’m early with this, but I won’t be back to the computer until it is too late, so better now than never….

:coffee2::occasion14::coffee2:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FOLKS, I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS JUST ME OR NOT, BUT I HAVE "LIKED" 14 OF THE LAST 20 POSTS.
( 6 OF THEM WERE MY COMMENTS)

THEY DON'T SHOW HERE NOW. IF ANY ONE KNOWS WHAT I AM DOING WRONG, LET ME KNOW.

JUST WANTED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I DO LIKE POSTS.

MIKEL
#/;0)~

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Mikel,

They do show, thanks. I have been meaning to ask you which is your thread that you keep mentioning? I tend to just check the LDM threads, and only when they are quiet, do I visit other threads.

Homar

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other night I was watchig one of these reality shows, the ones that show our hero cast way in a remote area. He always comes up with something to eat or to help wth his survival.

It got me to thinking, I imagine that many followers imagined themselvs in his place and considered themselves in a 'SHTF' situation as existing that way.

Unfortunately that can exist for only a short while, when one becomes a hunter / gatherer. The game quickly is dissipated or eaten, leaves the country, or you have gathered most of the edible materiel in the region and you have to move on.

This idylic life soon becomes a struggle to just exist.

When my partner and I decided that we would live off of the land basically while looking for Mayan ruins in the Yucatan / Quintana Roo jungles of the Yuctan, we started out with perhaps 3 -4 hrs to collect enough to eat, then gradually it was exteded until it was taking most of the daylight hours leaving little time for exploring.

When I say basically, we carried rice, tea, spices, plus a little treat called la abuela, which consisted of a form of sweets that contained mostly sugar in the crude form. We pampered ourself. The rest we obtaind with our machetes and .22 pistols.

This mde me reasses the lives of our native Americans, and quickly came to an understanding of why they were at war with each other, it was simply a war of survival and they needed vast lands in which to move around in just to eat. They often starved during the winters.

Course there was the usual need for captive females to increase the tribal male stock, but in general the land limited the ability to increase.

So I came to the conclusion that lifewasnt a bed of roses for them, but a life of few surpluses or comforts. That the reality shows wern't really reality shows after all.

We each carried 500 rnds of .22 super X hollwow point ammunition for trading purposes, .22's were worth their weight in Gold in the remote areas, money meant nothing.

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOMAR.
MY OTHER THREAD THAT I REFER TO IS; FORUM > RESEARCH/TECHNIQUES > TREASURE MARKS/SIGNS >TWO SIGNS LEFT TO I.D. MINE AS SPANISH, FRENCH, OR JESUIT. .... [I TRIED TO TRANSFER A LINK, BUT I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO.]

WHEN I STARTED IT, I HAD ONLY SEEN TWO OF THE THREE SIGNS ON THE BLUFF.... I'M STILL WET BEHIND THE EARS. BUT I GOT A LOT OF GOOD INFO AND A FEW LEADS THAT MAD ME RUN IN CIRCLES FOR A WHILE.
NO ONE HAD SEEN THE TWO THAT TURNED OUT TO BE 2 AND 3. I FOUND OUT MUCH LATER THAT I DISCOVERED THAT GALILEO HAD CARVED THEM INTO TWO BRASS NAVIGATIONAL TOOLS, CIRCA 1640 A.D.

THOSE SIGNS ARE WHY I NEED TO GO BACK ONE MORE TIME. THEY ARE THE TRIANGLE MAP. THE TRIANGLE IT'S SELF IS HIDDEN IN A SMALL CAVE.
#/;0)~

DON JOSE. THANK YOU FOR THE INFO THAT YOU SAW MY LIKES. AND THE BIT ABOUT SURVIVAL IS WORTHY OF PAGES IN YOUR BOOK. MOST FOLKS HAVE NO IDEA HOW IT IS POSSIBLE, AND DIFFICULT AND DANGEROUS TO SURVIVE IN THE WILDERNESS. IT IS MUCH BETTER THAN "FILLER" INPUT. MOST FOLKS WILL BE RIVETED TO THOSE PAGES.
#/;0)~

C-CAVEMAN, TRUE. I CAN'T BUY A BRICK OF 22s WITH ALL OF THE GOLD THAT I HAVE FOUND IN 15 YEARS. ( OTHER THAN RINGS FOUND WHILE METAL DETECTING.) IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO GATHER THE PLACER GOLD DUST HERE IN ARKANSAS. IT IS HERE, BUT RARE. IF YOU CAN FIND GOLD IN ARKANSAS YOU CAN FIND IT ANYWHERE. UNFORTUNATELY, MY BEST LOCATION IS CHAINED OFF BECAUSE A MAN RODE HIS HORSE INTO DEEP WATER WITH HIS CHIN STRAP ON. THE HORSE DROWNED AND THE RIDER WAS TRAPPED IN THE SADDLE. VERY SAD EVENT, THE LAND OWNER CHAINED THE GATE, TO PROTECT OTHERS FROM DOING THE SAME THING.

WATER IS RISING ALL AROUND US, MORE TO THE SOUTH.
HAPPY TO BE ABLE TO STAY DRY.

MIKEL
#/;0)~

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
.22 ammo is becoming more readily available in most areas. The problem is that most stores will only sell you a couple of boxes at a time, and it is all foreign made ammo, not U.S. made. No Winchester, Remington, CCi, Hornady or other top brand ammo. Mostly Eley, Dynamit Nobel and such. It is much easier to obtain ,223 ammo than .22, but now it is starting to become more scarce. Plenty of shotgun ammo around, plus rifle calibers of all kinds. Many people have and are switching to air rifles for survival training and usage. high powered break barrel nitro and pre charged pneumatic air rifles will take down small and medium sized game as easily as a .22. Plus ammo is readily available and much cheaper. .177 and .22 pellets are around $10 for 500. Good Luck. rockhound

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other night I was watchig one of these reality shows, the ones that show our hero cast way in a remote area. He always comes up with something to eat or to help wth his survival.

It got me to thinking, I imagine that many followers imagined themselvs in his place and considered themselves in a 'SHTF' situation as existing that way.

Unfortunately that can exist for only a short while, when one becomes a hunter / gatherer. The game quickly is dissipated or eaten, leaves the country, or you have gathered most of the edible materiel in the region and you have to move on.

This idylic life soon becomes a struggle to just exist.

When my partner and I decided that we would live off of the land basically while looking for Mayan ruins in the Yucatan / Quintana Roo jungles of the Yuctan, we started out with perhaps 3 -4 hrs to collect enough to eat, then gradually it was exteded until it was taking most of the daylight hours leaving little time for exploring.

When I say basically, we carried rice, tea, spices, plus a little treat called la abuela, which consisted of a form of sweets that contained mostly sugar in the crude form. We pampered ourself. The rest we obtaind with our machetes and .22 pistols.

This mde me reasses the lives of our native Americans, and quickly came to an understanding of why they were at war with each other, it was simply a war of survival and they needed vast lands in which to move around in just to eat. They often starved during the winters.

Course there was the usual need for captive females to increase the tribal male stock, but in general the land limited the ability to increase.

So I came to the conclusion that lifewasnt a bed of roses for them, but a life of few surpluses or comforts. That the reality shows wern't really reality shows after all.

We each carried 500 rnds of .22 super X hollwow point ammunition for trading purposes, .22's were worth their weight in Gold in the remote areas, money meant nothing.
Don Jose, you are absolutely correct. Even in the most benign of environments, survival can be difficult, and will take up a lot of time. The more primitive the weapons and tools available, the more time it is likely to take an inordinate amount of time to feed oneself (and one’s family, if you have one) which explains why the .22s were so valuable. It often amazes me that anyone could survive at all in the deserts of the southwest (or any other deserts as for that matter). Even on a tropical island, life can be difficult. Although I have never actually had to try surviving for any great length of time on my own, I have done so for long enough to know that most (and I am being kind here) of those “reality” shows are just a bunch of hokey, which is why I spend very little time on them. Actually, I don’t spend much time on TV at all, I prefer to read a good book (hint, hint).

:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mikel, I have seen your likes as well, and they are appreciated. As you may know from seeing my posts and likes, I follow this thread and your thread all of the time, and a few others as time permits (too much information, too little time).

:coffee2::coffee2:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOMAR.
REGARDLESS OF WHAT THAT NEW ENGLAND, YANKEE SAYS. I THINK THE JOKE ON THAT OTHER THREAD WAS FREAKIN' FUNNY. THEY'LL PROBABLY GIVE ME A SUSPENSION FOR HAVING YOUR BACK WITH THAT GUY.

I JUST COULDN'T SIT BACK AND LET HIM DISRESPECT YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR, JUST BECAUSE HE DIDN'T GET IT.

IT'S JUST THE WAY I WAS RAISED TO SEE THE WORLD.
I THINK I SHOULD PUT THAT LINE IN MY SIGNATURE.

NOW THAT I KNOW THAT YOU ARE ON THAT THREAD, I'M GONNA KEEP UP WITH IT, AND YOU AS WELL.

MIKEL
#/;0)~

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Don Jose-
Any update as to the progress of the opening of Tayopa? Of course, as they say, good things come to those who wait but, as it appears you've been waiting for quite some time now, when shall we expect to hear about those good (gold) things coming your way??!
Just curious.
Oh yeah, and that book too!

A cuppa joe and all the best to you!
J.A.A.

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J. A. A.
We have formed a co. and it is out of my hands now. We are putting a team on the ground. You must remember that it is at the end of any trails and of neccessity it will be slow. I am being kept as an advisor etc, since I can't really be up there. So, for all purposes I am just like you. Ths Tayopa has taught me Patience, if nothing more.

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J. A. A.
We have formed a co. and it is out of my hands now. We are putting a team on the ground. You must remember that it is at the end of any trails and of neccessity it will be slow. I am being kept as an advisor etc, since I can't really be up there. So, for all purposes I am just like you. Ths Tayopa has taught me Patience, if nothing more.

Well, Don Jose, as you know, we are all interested, so let us know what you can, when you can. I understand how slowly the wheels can grind, especially in Mexico, and i know that there may still be things that can't be told yet, if ever. However, that should free up a little of your time to work on the book?

:notworthy::coffee2::coffee2::hello2::coffee2::coffee2:

JB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread