Tayopa/Topira/Topia

Tucson1

Aug 28, 2010
There is an old saying never be so sure of your self that you do not at least stop to listen to what the other person may have to say.
So, here is what I have found out!
From records or letters by Friar Marcos de Niza, Francisco Vazquez de Coronado, Nuno de Guzman (President of New Spain), and Don
Antonio Mendoza (Viceroy in Mexico City) between from 1530 - 1539.
Coronado and Niza were told of a very rich place called Topira, which Coronado believed was really the region called Topia. He says in a
secret letter to Mendoza about the details and visit. In fact the region of Topia is on the maps of the time. It lists the three major
mines. These do not appear again after the 1686 uprising. There is no more Topia region! A later Topia mission does appear, but
no wheres near the original region and mines. I believe the later Topia Mission which does happen to be west of Durango at the
head waters of a river is the mission people are now locating. I can show anybody interested where the original Topia is if they are
interested. I will not post any more info on the net than what i have posted. To get any real info I will be happy to meet you over a
cup of coffee near Tucson or Arizona at your convience.
One additional quote per Coronado's letter to Mendoza. "I believe the legend of the Seven Cities of Cibola may have originated fromTopia because of the vast gold wealth". I did say originally three mines, this is an error it should have been three cities.
I believe it was Marcos who stated the people had such an abundance of gold being used worthlessly in their homes for idols
etc. But the indians agreed to trade their gold to the spanish for items they needed.
FYI- I am a retired telecommunications support tech. To put any real info in a forum like this or any other network place
you might as well go out your front door and shout it to the world. Ask San's or NSA! Sorry but I have worked to long
with the net.
I have always only searched under Tayopa in the past. I would like to thank Oroblanco here for the suggestion of using other close names!
Sorry also ain't really newby just new handle after a number of years away! Also all info from me is actually free! Having lived in Mexico for a couple of years I know the info is more relevent to Oroblanco or Don jose de La Mancha than to me or some one not a Mexican National.

Last edited:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
You gotta bring it to get it in this forum . 2 posts and a maybie aren't going to offset proven posters .

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
i just posted in another thread, maybe here is more appropriate, tayopa is without a doubt an opata word, meaning santuary of the sun, found as a place name in several locations in opata territory and later occasionally combined with spanish, such as guadalupe de tayopa, topia ,is a town i the sierra of durango, not too far from the sinaloa border, and topira ,is easily found on sonoran topographical maps, i have found several vague comments in translations of old historical writings mentioning some notable mineral wealth associated with topira. all three were founded for some sort of mineral wealth, all three are seperate entities and have nothing in common with the other.topira is a small thriving community with some mining still going on today. the mining history there is well documented. guadalupe de tayopa is a small rancho east of mulatos close to where the famous la cieneguita silver mines are located , the other tayopa in south ,southeast of yecora (don jose's site) and there is a tayopa silver mine south of huachinera, all three are seperate entities with a common opata name. topira is east southeast of tepache north of the river towards the sierra, my guess is that it was a small but placer area, that was eventually worked out.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
There is an old saying never be so sure of your self that you do not at least stop to listen to what the other person may have to say.
So, here is what I have found out!
From records or letters by Friar Marcos de Niza, Francisco Vazquez de Coronado, Nuno de Guzman (President of New Spain), and Don
Antonio Mendoza (Viceroy in Mexico City) between from 1530 - 1539.
Coronado and Niza were told of a very rich place called Topira, which Coronado believed was really the region called Topia. He says in a
secret letter to Mendoza about the details and visit. In fact the region of Topia is on the maps of the time. It lists the three major
mines. These do not appear again after the 1686 uprising. There is no more Topia region! A later Topia mission does appear, but
no wheres near the original region and mines. I believe the later Topia Mission which does happen to be west of Durango at the
head waters of a river is the mission people are now locating. I can show anybody interested where the original Topia is if they are
interested. I will not post any more info on the net than what i have posted. To get any real info I will be happy to meet you over a
cup of coffee near Tucson or Arizona at your convience.
One additional quote per Coronado's letter to Mendoza. "I believe the legend of the Seven Cities of Cibola may have originated fromTopia because of the vast gold wealth". I did say originally three mines, this is an error it should have been three cities.
I believe it was Marcos who stated the people had such an abundance of gold being used worthlessly in their homes for idols
etc. But the indians agreed to trade their gold to the spanish for items they needed.
FYI- I am a retired telecommunications support tech. To put any real info in a forum like this or any other network place
you might as well go out your front door and shout it to the world. Ask San's or NSA! Sorry but I have worked to long
with the net.
I have always only searched under Tayopa in the past. I would like to thank Oroblanco here for the suggestion of using other close names!
Sorry also ain't really newby just new handle after a number of years away! Also all info from me is actually free! Having lived in Mexico for a couple of years I know the info is more relevent to Oroblanco or Don jose de La Mancha than to me or some one not a Mexican National.

The 'secret letter' of Coronado, alleging that Marcos de Niza visited Topira a month before Coronado, is controversial. The original has not been found and the translation is from Giovam Battista Ramusio, an Italian with a proven history of embellishing the facts to support his own agendas. It provides an alternative account of the Marcos/Coronado 1538 expedition that sent Marcos to Cibola and Coronado to Topira, but can't be relied on.

According to Coronado's reports, Topira is located in western Durango, NE of Culiacan. He didn't find anything there - the mountains were too rough to penetrate. It's mineralized country, as we now know.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A date. I do have to start posting in here again, but I have been sooo busy starting up La Escondida Mine, which is intended to partially support further investigation of the Tayopa site. My present team is at work up there checking various things for me. I will be able to post on them after we are protected, since some lie outside of the Tayopa claims.

Don Jose d La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truckin? you would give up coffee for that fermented (rotted) mixture of dead buggies?? I remember Christmas 42, while on the Guadalcanal campaign, we decided to have a memorable Christmas, so we dug up a galvanized wash tub. We loaded it with a case of spoiled, mildewed, formerly dried apricots, scrounged sugar, and anything else we could find. We put it out in the jungle, but kept close watch on it, occasionally scooping out the insects that had happily died in it as it fermented.

The Big day came. so we decided the best way was to simply poke a hole in the base and let it run out into containers. It was a horrible orangish color, and tasted the same. We noticed as the level of the liquid dropped there was no galvanizing left?

It had the most peculiar effect, one man just happily burned his girl friends name in his arm with a lit cigarette, while others did similar irrational things. One ran into the jungle yelling, until we heard a sort of splat, then silence. We found him still drapped around a tree the next morning.

I believe that we had found a new psychedelic thingy, be worth a fortune today's market, but alas, sniff, I can't remember just what we put it it or which of the many species of drunk insects that happily drowned while wriggling on their backs went into it.

You would give up Good coffee for that kinda junk?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Truckin? you would give up coffee for that fermented (rotted) mixture of dead buggies?? I remember Christmas 42, while on the Guadalcanal campaign, we decided to have a memorable Christmas, so we dug up a galvanized wash tub. We loaded it with a case of spoiled, mildewed, formerly dried apricots, scrounged sugar, and anything else we could find. We put it out in the jungle, but kept close watch on it, occasionally scooping out the insects that had happily died in it as it fermented.

The Big day came. so we decided the best way was to simply poke a hole in the base and let it run out into containers. It was a horrible orangish color, and tasted the same. We noticed as the level of the liquid dropped there was no galvanizing left?

It had the most peculiar effect, one man just happily burned his girl friends name in his arm with a lit cigarette, while others did similar irrational things. One ran into the jungle yelling, until we heard a sort of splat, then silence. We found him still drapped around a tree the next morning.

I believe that we had found a new psychedelic thingy, be worth a fortune today's market, but alas, sniff, I can't remember just what we put it it or which of the many species of drunk insects that happily drowned while wriggling on their backs went into it.

You would give up Good coffee for that kinda junk?

Don Jose de La Mancha
LMAO ! You know better than that , my friend . As well as me refusing anything alcohol related that has been in contact with galvanized containers . If all ya got is booze made for sellin instead of drinkin ; then , I'll take the coffee .

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He he - just watched a program about 'moonshiners' on the telly the other day - what an eyeopener!! There he was - in full view and entire name, a 3rd generation moonshiners just selling a batch of banana-brandy for 45 grand!! A far cry from the moonshiners I used to know back home - they never could wait long enough - just drank the mash *chuckles*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread