Early Tayopa newspaper story

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone interested..

Here is an early newspaper article about Tayopa.

Los Angeles Herald, Volume XXXII, Number 48, 18 November 1904 TAYOPA.jpg

Corp

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a document I have been told you by my employer you may be interested in.

Corp

Daily Alta California, Volume 12, Number 217, 6 August 1860 — NOTES ON THE MINERAL WEALTH .jpg

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
CI:

Thank you for posting these! I find the early-day newspaper articles most interesting.

Rather than recycle the same old treasure tales, I'd like to see some author research at least interesting new angles - if not new stories altogether.

Tayopa has a example - the role Lieut. Henry Ossian Flipper played in searching for it. Lieut Flipper was born a slave, was the first African American graduate of West Point, and lived until 1940.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Bookaroo

It is my pleasure. I am a raw newbie here at posting on forums. My mentor has been mentoring me for some time. He and his associates are extremely well knowledgeable. I have been slowly taught how to find documents from a myriad of places, Universities, Libraries,Private journals, various archives, historical societies and newspapers etc. So please forgive me I should mentioned the date of the article was 1860. Anyway Henry Ossian Flipper had an amazing life considering all the hurdles he faced back then.

Some claimed he went to Spain to search the archives in Spain. However I in searching the Archives I only saw a record of him returning from La Guaira, Venezuela on the 22nd of July 1930. His investigation into Tayopa was through the efforts of a Californian backer. That would of been some after 1882 and 1905 more or less. I am not sure but more inclined to think 1904. What I find interesting is it has been claimed he found documents regarding Tayopa.

Corp

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have many thousands of pages of church documents regarding Sonora. But they are recorded in local perhaps obsolete province names.

Some of the oldest are almost unreadable. Some have suffered damp. Some pages have been eaten by silverfish and other insects. The later dated folios are in much better condition. Here is an example from 1763. below.

1763 baptismal records reduced.png

Flipper must of spent several years going through the documents. I have another document that will help clarify Henry O Flippers time in Mexico.

Corp

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning my friends, Coffee sin Vodka A Corp? As far as I can find, due to limited research ability, Flipper himself never looked for Tayopa, only documents pertaining to it. He is credited with the famous '7' th of March----- document, which incidentally is100 % correct. This supposedly was while researching for Col Greene.

This was proven to me indirectly. We had gone to Ocampo on, as it turned out, the 8 th of March.to verify certain documents in the Mining Agency. We were in my Friends Mercedes Diesel. Before we left the upper areas where some diesel was definitely available I asked my friend if t wpuldn't be a god idea to fill the tank up? He said "no, this vehicle is too low already and I would be hitting bottom" , so off we went

It is along continous drop down into the barranca where Ocampo is located, some thousands of feet, but while dirt, it is in excellent condition.

We completed our business successfully then started our return trip to the top of the Barranca. As I mentioned, it was a long long trip up.

Just as we were about to reach perhaps 3/4 of the way the engine commenced to falter. I immmediately asked my friend if he still had any fuel, He rechecked and said "yes,we have approx. !/4 tan full.

So it was now about 3 Pm in the afternoon with a cold penetrating wind, so I suggested that some of the others look for a sheltered camp site, realizing that we might have to spend the night here. My friend and I then commenced to replace the fuel filters, and check the lines, they were all clean. We were stumped. As I sat there our team brought us some hot coffee, so I sat on the bumper looking at our stupid, unrresponsive, ##%#$^& engine.

I noticed that the fuel outlet was situated in the front of the tank Looking through the manual, I also noticed that the fuel pump pumped fuel into a forward aux tank where it was then picked up by the normal syatem. all of this was in the front of the tank , which means that going up hill meant that perhaps 1/3 of our tank was not useable once the aux tank designed for going up hill was empty, which it was.

So, the next stop was to go back down Ocampo where they had a Gov't custom mill running, But that meant a 3 hr walk downhill and the trip back up with fuel ?? sheesh.

About this time a Gov't pickup with 3 gals came by and stopped to see what was wrong, which is customary in the back country. When we explained, they offered to take me back down to O'Campo to the mill where I begged some diesel off of the foreman saying that we were potential miners also, he laughed and 'gave us 5 gallons of Diesel and a container to carry it.

When we finally arrived back at our car the sun was fading fast and as I was filling the tank and purging the lines Bert, suddenly exclained "Look the Sun is setting over Tayopa", and it was, just as Flipper's data said. Course while it was actually the 8 th of Mrch it still held.

The multiple coincidences of stalling just as we reached the highest point there we could look out over the intervening peaks, etc. the lost time, so that we were there at the right period etc., etc. couldn't have occurred except with divine help of my secret Jesuit helper he hehe

The trail / trip to Tayopa has been full of such co-incidences.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Flippers map confirmation.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'afternoon Corp, fresh cool limeade? I have to add a correction to that. If you are referring to the Tayopa itself , it was about the 1630's, but they returned and continued working the 'area' - but not Tayopa - until they were expelled in 1767 for fomenting a revolution against the King of Spain to take North America away from him They never worked Tayopa after closing it up during the Indian revolution in the high sierras.of the early 1600's. They did too good a job, however since we have far superior tools today, I know exactly where and how to access it..

At the present we are investigating a certain area where we found a closed room full of skeletons with two still fairly intact. They also found a stone axe and a broken Spanish sword which was next to a seated skeleton ??

Could be a fascinating story here of a bit of final resistance by the Indian slaves being killed to keep the location a secret, but we will never know because the workers disturbed the area before I could examine it.

My data suggested that perhaps 180 skeletons should be in this area, so it wasn't a great surprise.

Don Jose d eLa Mancha

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corporate, The part of Sonora would be the old Ostimuri district the present Yecora zone.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Good morning Don Jose.

Thank you for your quick response. That helps a lot. Some of the earlier documents are almost unreadable. They are are not listed by name or place of birth each entry has to be scanned for relevant names. There is about 350000 documents to scan through. The Dates and Present name will reduce the search considerably.

Oh here is another Document relating to Henry O Flipper. It is consul document stating where Flipper was working. And more importantly a date.

U.S., Consular Registration Certificates, 1907 - 1918 record for Henry Ossian Flipper cropped ve.jpg

It shows he was in Chihuahua from 1901 - 1908?

Corp

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
G'afternoon Corp, fresh cool limeade? I have to add a correction to that. If you are referring to the Tayopa itself , it was about the 1630's, but they returned and continued working the 'area' - but not Tayopa - until they were expelled in 1767 for fomenting a revolution against the King of Spain to take North America away from him They never worked Tayopa after closing it up during the Indian revolution in the high sierras.of the early 1600's. They did too good a job, however since we have far superior tools today, I know exactly where and how to access it..

At the present we are investigating a certain area where we found a closed room full of skeletons with two still fairly intact. They also found a stone axe and a broken Spanish sword which was next to a seated skeleton ??

Could be a fascinating story here of a bit of final resistance by the Indian slaves being killed to keep the location a secret, but we will never know because the workers disturbed the area before I could examine it.

My data suggested that perhaps 180 skeletons should be in this area, so it wasn't a great surprise.

Don Jose d eLa Mancha

Don Jose,

Don't believe I had ever heard that story before writing this:

Real de Tayopa

Tayopa lay resting behind the veil, It's legend grew to quite a tale.

Searchers came from far and wide, but the Jesuit treasure continued to hide.

Jose appeared from out of the mist, his mind held the map that could not miss.

For years he fought to make it his prize, but it stood protected by thousands of lies.

The door creaks loudly as he pushes it back, he peers inside and his smile cracks,

The bones of the padres are piled inside, they crumble to dust as if trying to hide.

Jose is in awe as he gazes at their treasure, the souls of the natives too many to measure.

The Jesuits had mined this land too well, their leaving had opened the gateway to hell.

He steps back in fear and closes the door, leaving Tayopa and its souls, to return no more.

Joe Ribaudo

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe you quite a poet, do you sing?

Jose: It was alleged Flipper made a discovery of records at Chihuahua, So I am searching through records Chihuahua, Catholic Church, there is about 35000 odd records included marriage Banns, Deaths, baptisms, all have place of event,Dates names of people and where their parent and themselves come from and what parish...Church Records, 1632-1958 They are not indexed sadly so you have to read through thousands pages of documents. Is there particular name of the parish that might be useful. Some times Parish names are not official place names. Is Ostimuri a district or a Parish? If so would it come under Chihuahua?

Corp.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe you quite a poet, do you sing?

Jose: It was alleged Flipper made a discovery of records at Chihuahua, So I am searching through records Chihuahua, Catholic Church, there is about 35000 odd records included marriage Banns, Deaths, baptisms, all have place of event,Dates names of people and where their parent and themselves come from and what parish...Church Records, 1632-1958 They are not indexed sadly so you have to read through thousands pages of documents. Is there particular name of the parish that might be useful. Some times Parish names are not official place names. Is Ostimuri a district or a Parish? If so would it come under Chihuahua?

Corp.

Corp,

Well......I am Italian!:D

Joe Ribaudo

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, Italiano ?? and here I thought that you were Oirish like me. :tongue3:

As far as poems go do you remember the one that I posted on 'you' and Tayopa ??

"A bunch of the boys were whooping it up in one of those Mexican bars
When along came Joe, who paused upon seeing all of those cars

He listened to the sounds of wild good cheer
then decided to enter on the chance of a free beer (< typical)

He was promptly --------- and on.

I had saved your version of Tayopa in my files, it may be included in the book, with yer permission of course.

Don Jose de La Mancha

P.s. I liked t very much. but you now have to rewrite it, these wern't padres but Guarijiro Indians and probably one Spaniard.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd afternoon Corp: Regrding Flipper in Chihuahua city. That was probably when He was working for Greene. In those days, as well as today, all foreigners in Mexico were reported by the authorities, generally local civil offices but also the Military and the US Consul. , especially before the big revolution.

He also did surveying work out of his Ocampo address..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cccold fresh Limeade Corp? What you have been asking for is quite correct, but the lack of such documents / data is precisely why Tayopa remained an elusive ghost for over 400 years. Records do exist but in the "need to know " data in the Jesuit files in the vatican. Originally this map is what I had to work with and my indian friends - most liked and trusted me - I have leaned over backwards to not to betray that trust.

Don Jose de La Mancha

older map of Tayopa.jpg Dobies Map of Tayopa.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe what I 'haven't' posted far exceeds what I have posted. The location of the Tayopa file / title is readily availble in the Mexico city, mining office, no secret there, but exactly where is the access point in the 3000 + hectares is another factor, only I know that. I is a sneaky Oirish guy, as bad as an Italiono. :tongue3:

Don Jose d e La Mancha (Til Eulenspiegle)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions