Henry O. Flipper & Tayopa question

lostdb

Dec 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In "Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver" J Frank Dobie writes "Flipper from far away South America sent a report of his findings back to another Tayopa seeker in this country." Does this document exist somewhere outside of Dobie's book? Is it mentioned in Flipper's book "Black Frontiersman: The Memoirs of Henry O. Flipper, first Black Graduate of West Point"? Thanks for your help.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I sure can not answer your question amigo but hopefully someone here can.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
In "Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver" J Frank Dobie writes "Flipper from far away South America sent a report of his findings back to another Tayopa seeker in this country." Does this document exist somewhere outside of Dobie's book? Is it mentioned in Flipper's book "Black Frontiersman: The Memoirs of Henry O. Flipper, first Black Graduate of West Point"? Thanks for your help.

lostdb,

That report was sent to, or in the possession, of C.R. Ruggles (more likely C.B. Ruggles) and he was Dobie's source. You can find the information in "Black Frontiersman...." on page 160.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost Db: I am not sure on your Flipper data, but all that I have found was his infamous "on the 7 th of March----" Which is absolutely correct,

I was returning from Ocampo on the 8th, at sunset, and as I crested the climb out, I could look west and see the Tayopa area bathed in fading sunlight below the setting Sun .

This is to say that a line from Minaca to the setting Sun passes almost directly over Ocampo and continues on to Tayopa. . and yes, a good 10 days is needed to reach it by mule.

Personally I had forgotten flipper's data, until my wife Exclaimed "Look you can see Tayopa in the the sunlight. "

Coincidence in the trip and date??

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Lostdb,

There is very little documentation on Flipper, as it relates to Tayopa. Believe Dobie may have fleshed out the story a bit. Even at that, there is little meat on that bone.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread