All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Kanacki, bienvenidos, good to see you back again……how is the black feathered one……..Senor Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose

Amy's wedding went off very well.

Hola Doc The black feathered one, Old Crow and his family are traveling very well. In fact if people really knew what the old pirate was up to they would be totally blown away. However these days discretion is the order of the day.

As for me plodding along on my island. Just stepping back and letting my children take over various business enterprises. enjoying virtual retirement.

Kanacki

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hola Loke, I have bean goofing off, same as last time. Jump on yer pertner ORO I need to cli=rify the Caballos Mtns, connection first.:dontknow::coffee2::coffee2:

What? I would have thought you would have finished the first draft by now. Also, there is no need to clarify the Caballos mountains "connection" first especially when it is far from proven there IS any connection with the Caballos and Tayopa. The evidence, such as it is, is far too thin to be linked. The best evidence is the Tayopa inventory doc, which implies that the production of Tayopa was getting stockpiled right at Tayopa, probably in wait for a safe (and quiet) route to ship it - or perhaps it was always intended to be used here in the Americas, to finance the betrayal of the Spanish possessions to the Dutch. The route to the Caballos just doesn't make any sense to me, especially combined with the only report of a shipment was on the Pacific coast, well south of the Caballos. Remember, the Jesuits had their own ship operating in the Pacific, travelling along with the Spanish Manila galleon, so they already had a ready method to safely ship bullion out. Plus they were very concerned about their missions in east Asia, to the point that one entire group of missions in Sonora was for raising funds to support their missions in Japan - even though they had been thrown out of Japan! Shipping to the Caballos by comparison would be illogical, the opposite direction from where funds were needed by the Order and in Franciscan territory to boot.

No more manana, if you wish to add a chapter on the Caballos, that is of course your choice but it hardly seems necessary nor does it really add much to the luster of Tayopa. Fill that coffee mug and git 'er done! :coffee2:

Good to see you back Kanacki! I hope you will share some more of your adventures too! :thumbsup: :notworthy: :notworthy::notworthy:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Oroblanco

I have been back in my home town Rabul as of late. Caught up with some old friends. Had an interesting story as of late. Ever heard of a Ropen?

Kanacki

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hola Oroblanco

I have been back in my home town Rabul as of late. Caught up with some old friends. Had an interesting story as of late. Ever heard of a Ropen?

Kanacki

That is great amigo! That old saying is very true about old friends, truly are treasures. And yes I have heard of the Ropen - as I have an interest in Cryptozoology, and I would LOVE to hear more! Please do continue!

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
That is great amigo! That old saying is very true about old friends, truly are treasures. And yes I have heard of the Ropen - as I have an interest in Cryptozoology, and I would LOVE to hear more! Please do continue!

Ditto 2. I'll see your request for more and raise you an airborne crypto sighting of my own. But first: more on the ropen!

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Justin - you do know we have been yanking your chain right? :tongue3: I can't even go to Mexico until (at best) next year, and that will require some luck. Besides, Don Jose' has already found Tayopa, now it is just a matter of digging the goodies up. Unfortunately finding a lost mine (or a whole group) does not automatically translate into wealth, but I think Real de Tayopa is not going to keep us waiting much longer to see that treasure, in fact I think he is very close right now.

Oro-

Of course I know! I can play too can't I?! What?....did ya think I was back here in Michigan packing my bags??! Plus, in jest, I wouldn't have been offering to help FIND Tayopa. As we all know, Don Jose's had that locked up for quite some time. I would have been offering simply to help GAZE upon its magnificence once DJ cracks open "pandora's box". Not to mention that I'd guess both of you have a full plate between discovery/excavation of treasure as well as continuing to write the books you both BETTER be working on!! (Still looking forward to my SIGNED copy!)

In all seriousness, between having a beautiful little two-year-old that I love spending my free time with and just starting a new job managing a residential building company, I'm having a hard enough time just getting downtown to a Detroit Tigers game so I can watch them lose again, let alone travel all the way to Mexico!! All in due time though. One day, a few years from now, I'll get my chance to do my own "exploring"!

I hope all is well with you and yours-

Justin

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer

Oh, by the way.....Ditto 3!

Welcome back Kanacki. Hope all is well with the unholy trio and your never ending adventures.

All the best-
Justin

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Oro-

Of course I know! I can play too can't I?! What?....did ya think I was back here in Michigan packing my bags??! Plus, in jest, I wouldn't have been offering to help FIND Tayopa. As we all know, Don Jose's had that locked up for quite some time. I would have been offering simply to help GAZE upon its magnificence once DJ cracks open "pandora's box". Not to mention that I'd guess both of you have a full plate between discovery/excavation of treasure as well as continuing to write the books you both BETTER be working on!! (Still looking forward to my SIGNED copy!)

In all seriousness, between having a beautiful little two-year-old that I love spending my free time with and just starting a new job managing a residential building company, I'm having a hard enough time just getting downtown to a Detroit Tigers game so I can watch them lose again, let alone travel all the way to Mexico!! All in due time though. One day, a few years from now, I'll get my chance to do my own "exploring"!

I hope all is well with you and yours-

Justin

Ah phooey - you got me! :tongue3: Oh well turnabout is fair play as they say! And I am 100% positive you will make it happen, and sooner rather than later. :thumbsup:

Now to pester Kanacki about a Ropen...:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been sitting here remenicing on the past - elderly gentleman's game - and I found myself remembering Old Peking, in Ole China. I believe that it was the most memorable time of my life up to that period, and it set tne pattern for the rest of my active life..

Twas 1946,47 when I first flew into Peking. The exchange rate was such that I could live like a king, and did.

I remembered the Old wagon Lits hotel in the center of Peking with it's sofas and easy chairs clustered around the open works elevator. For the first two floors it was relatively open. the old Planters and retirees would cluster around it and watch the pretty girls ascend - in those days they wore spit skirts and you could see some interesting sights every so often.

I remember the bus boy laying out my unforms, then asking if I would prefer a Blonde, etc. girl, or perhaps a fat young boy. I always turned down his offer, since I was going with a night club singer, Toni Brovchenco, a White russian. They always played this song whenever I entered the club - hoping for more tips.

About the Russian cavalry golloping across the meadowland

Poliushko Polie , Meadowland as some called it..

I would often have my lunch prepared for me and go to the forbidden city to coal hill to eat it under the tree where the last of the Mings hung himself I had carte Blanc in the forbidden city since the communists were at the Citiy gates and it was expected to fall any day.

I remember standing on the stone that was representive of the center of the Universe, The court yard of the Temple of the Moon, etc. It was a dream come true.

I spent days there, exploring it thoroughly, entering areas that are forbidden now by the Comunist govt.

I believe that this episode firmed my purpose in Exploration, and eventually led to Tayopa. Along the way I found La Tarasca, and the Gloria Pan lost mines. No, I never earned a cent on them, long story there.

Any way, I have been exploring the thieves Market, the street of silk, and others, plus thinking of romantic nights with Tony, etc. My thoughts on an era long past, but not forgotten.

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies for being a little off topic. But some times a little knowledge can be a treasure in itself?

Indeed over the years it was a mystery that came to light to taunt us, in my early years growing up in Rabaul.

New Britain is in some respects a lost world. Many parts of the island is little explored with a thick canopy of jungle. The island is bisected with various Melanesian tribal groups and travel is negotiated through series of negotiations with tribal chiefs. It is a huge insult not to meet the tribal leader of each area while entering their area. Interesting to note that some tribes are Matrilineality society and some are Patrilineality Society. To the outsider dealing with them can seem a little complex. However growing up in such a region over time you can learn so much of the ethnic tribal systems on the island their myths and their legends. Most tribal areas are generally will be very helpful if you show some diplomatic respect. If you make the effort to see the chief as you being there to meet him or her is a huge status within his or her own tribe. As you the foreigner acknowledges his or her authority over the land you wish to enter. And of course hiring some local porters goes a long way for the chief as they carry the authority of chief.

Rabaul is a borderland realm on a island of many mysterious strange customs and traditions my friends. One such legend is the Ropen. It is always discussed in a hushed tone as there is many legends that say to speak its name aloud you may summon the Ropen.Such is power of magic, myth and legends when they sometimes overlap into reality.

As strange as it is. I Recall back so so many years to my youth in fact childhood even before I'd even heard stories of the Ropen. I think I was about 3 or 4. We were living in A Colonial timbered house with big backyard with many big mango trees. Built off the ground with big veranda all around. One evening I was playing in the Kitchen and wandered into back yard. It was night and I wandered down the side of the house, which was dark. As I turned the Corner I heard a noise of what ever the thing was, I had disturbed it. It was not clear in the darkness but it stood up about 6ft tall outstretch its wings as it must of been startled itself as it for one brief seconded sparked like electrical flash of light and took off with a loud flap. And as I a tiny kid, the instant I saw it looked like a massive bird. My child's brain had massive reaction of self preservation, And my body followed my legs up the back steps into the Kitchen with my arms wrapped around Mums legs in terror. My old boy was a tribal liaison officer back then, had to pry me off mums leg. It became a bit of joke in the family as I was youngest. Of course due to my age at the time my family put it all down to an over active imagination. Years later schooling with various people we heard stories filtered through rumor however I often wondered if I had seen one? However I am not sure now as many years have past that dulls the details...

And thus returning home every few years to Rabul in about 2004? Rabaul is not the same these days as the volcanic eruption destroyed half the city, even my parents graves and our old family home. Much of the people and history have gone with ashes of eruption in 1994. I met in the local hotel by chance a Texan or Californian?, his name escapes me. It might of been Jonathan? We had an interesting chat. He had a very genuine interest in the Ropen as he had heard the current story making rounds at the time. Gideon Koro, Wesley Koro, and Mesa Agustin saw a "ropen" flying over the crater lake "Pung" in 1994. Its tail was "seven meter" and its wingspan or wing- size was also seven meters. They said that the long tail had a "diamond." (This could refer to a flange that has been described by other investigators.) One thing was clear: Gideon was certain about it having no feathers. Also, the mouth was like a "crocodile.

Was the story true I do not know? Jonathan this Texan or Californian Cryptozooligist wanted an interpreter to go to this island off the coast. To Find and interview the young men I gave him a few names of people I knew he could contact to arrange for an expedition to Umboli island. Umboli island is a large island in between New Britain and Papua new Guinea mainland. I have since heard that he managed to film 2 strange lights in the sky at night at the location where this alleged sighting took place.

Since then watching a discovery channel documentary 2 days ago it seems more and more researchers are going to Papua New Guinea seeking to uncover the secrets behind this almost legendary creature of the night.

Anyway if anything it is an interesting yarn made all the more interesting when I read old posts on treasurenet alleged images of a bird found in United States that looks exactly the same as the Ropen. Perhaps one of the greatest living natural treasures to discover for those daring to seek?

Kanacki

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, you broght up a fascinating factor - cryptozology - that has many unanswered questions down here, for example the 'Carbuco'. This is a small bird, perhaps the size of an Owl that seems to have a light emitting organ in it's forhead - equal to a one cell flashlight - .

I was introduced to this bird (?) by my father in law. One day, while eating breakfast, he casually mentioned that a pair of them had ben living in a near by hill, l cerro de Pericos - hlll of the little parrots . He said that they were heavy flyers, that they seemed to fly in one direcion, and would turn on this light feature just before landing. But, unfortunately, they had moved on. So much for my investigating them, so I put it down to a local superstition.

Later when I was living with the Yaqui, they repeated the same story. They said that there was a small colony of them that lived in burrows on a sandy hill. I put off visiting them for fear of disturbing them (?) then suddenly they were gone, sigh.

Later a Priest near Guasave notified me that he had the body of one that an Indian had brought him, and described something the size of a large owl with a third 'eye', and invited me to visit him, but before I could, he died. All traces of the creature disappeared

All stories of the creature indicate something that flies like a grouse, and has something like a third eye, that is capable of emitting light, for what purpose I have no idea.

This is just one example, I have several. For instance that giant aquatic serpent that I found myself swimming with while on the Gloria Pan hunt, that little, very venemous snake, the 'Pichi Quate',the size of a lead pencil, the large bird of prey that would swoop down and catch Yaqui Children, and on.

One thing that occurs to me Kanacki, during ww ii, The Japanese were heavily into those Islands, have you ever found any report of them ? I do recall a science fiction motion picture of a lost aircraft crashing unto an unknown island and finding the Japanese garrisoned there living in terror of them, that must have been based upon the Ropen (Pterodactyl) rumor.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose.

An interesting story my friend. In answer to your question. Hollywood never lets truth get in the way of a good story:-) However there was tribe in New Ireland that hid in caves for 20 years after the war still believing the Japanese still had control of the island. Around 1963 they were talked out of hiding.

The main garrison at Rubaul had about 70000 Japanese troops still there at time of surrender. The house I lived in was for a time during the war a brothel for Japan's troops at the garrison. They had imported comfort women from various parts of Asia. They were also Dutch , British and Australian women captured in various places. Masao Kusunose, the commanding officer of Japanese forces lived in the house for awhile after his was destroyed by Allied bombing. He after the war committed suicide as he was being tried for war crimes.

As kids we used to explore the abandoned underground submarine base and hospital tunnels and artillery tunnels dug into the hills around Rabaul. Still back then full of machine guns light tanks cannons and AA guns with live rounds

PNG, Rabaul, Japanese hospital caves along the coast (2).JPG

Japanese-Supply-Barges-Rabaul.jpg

The stories of Ropen vary as in some parts of New Guinea they have other names for it. Ropen is A New Britain Term, Some tribes would not know what a Ropen is as they have their own linguistic name versions of such creatures. There was story of an American airman who claimed he saw on in 1944. no one at the time took him serious. Several native stories of an elderly man taken by one at dust while working in his garden. Another story several boys swimming got attacked by two of them. Some stories say they generally hunt fruit bats at night who inhabit the island by the millions. These are some of the largest bats in world. But on occasion if in extreme hunger they will attack small animals and even children. Some have claimed in some regions they will eat newly buried corpses.

That said myth legend and a grain of truth blends very well in these islands.

Kanacki

Attachments

• Japanese-Supply-Barges-Rabaul.jpg
    Japanese-Supply-Barges-Rabaul.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those with a culinary taste you have not lived until you have tasted bat stew. The locals hunted them with slingshots.The natives know the difference between bats and this alleged Ropen. When academics claimed all the natives saw was large bats is ridiculous.

Kanacki

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was at Espiritu Santos in 42, our jumping off point for the Canal. I once shot a fruit bat for a local native. He promptly built a fire and threw the bat on the fire without clening it. Said that it enhannced the flavor. Is it true Kanacki ??

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread