how old is this detector

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Hey diggin dirt, I owned 2 of these in 1980 and 1981. The first one was so great, I bought a second one for the wife to use. Don't poopoo that machine. If it works good, use it. That thing will go deep, especially in mineralized ground. The great part is it will go just as deep in the discriminate mode as it does in the all metal mode. Try that with one of the low end $200 detectors! The discriminate mode is a motion mode and the faster you move the coil over the target object the deeper it will discriminate. I would put it up against any of the mid range detectors today as far as depth goes. Maybe the discriminaters today are more accurate but what good is accuracy if you don't have the depth to go with it. The reason I chose the whites back then over the Garretts model was that the Garrett only had TR discriminate and it would not go very deep in the discriminate mode and the TR will not handle mineralized soil. What good is a deep all metal mode if you cannot discriminate to that depth. Keep that machine and learn how to use it well. If you have any questions at all call the factory and they will tell you how to set it up and how to get the most out of it, they are very customer oriented and very nice people. I just called them this morning about a detector I just bought new in the box, a Whites 5500D series 3. It was the model just blow the one you have. I was so happy with the performance of my old whites that I bought this one. I have a Tesoro now and it won't hold a candle to my old whites. If you don't believe me then when you get to know your machine, do a side by side depth test both all metal and discriminate with one of your buddies and his machine and it will surprise you. That whites you just bought is a great machine and happy detecting. So now you have it, my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread