A new Bounty Hunter-superior to the Explorer 11?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Willy said:
I've done a fair amount of testing over the years & have found that there isn't really all that much difference between many detectors, old & new (not too old though). As long as it can be ground balanced & doesn't have the disc. set too high they're pretty even. This doesn't count for saltwater.. just highly mineralized inland sites. The only detector that I've swung that gave a huge increase in depth is a PI, and that's apples 'n oranges. ...Willy.

This is basically what I've found over my 37 years of THing. While I've not been too concerned about the ground balancing, screens, bells, etc., I have noticed that there's little difference in the quality of MOST HIGHER RANGE machines produced over the last decade or two. In fact, I've used a Wilson Newman GB II (1983 vintage) to find Indian cents at 9 inches deep. I'll bet not many here believe that!

I'm not really a technical person. I judge a detector by what it produces. If I'm digging Barbers, Seated, Bust, Spanish cobs, Civil War relics by the buckets, etc., I don't give a darn if everybody gives the detector thumbs down!?

To me--the proof of a machines worth is in the finds. Paper work and online write-ups are cute, but, in the final analyses, show me the loot!

I'm constantly changing machines but some I hold on to all the time. I hardly dare admit it lest I be stoned but one of my best machines is made in China. Now, I have no special love for China. Heck, I don't trust that country period! But I'll tell you some of that "junk" finds treasure! And to me, that's what really counts.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still maintain it's more to do with the operator than the machine. Any up to date machine will find "stuff". The quality of stuff depends o the operator.

I did buy two Chinese machines from Kellyco, not knowing they were Chinese. The first one was a $500.00 piece of junk! It was supposed to have all the latest electronics, digital technology, etc. But it would tell me a quarter is a penny, a penny a diamond ring, etc, etc. I traded it back for a BH Land Ranger. Kellyco made some extra $$ on that deal. Then I got a Cobra water machine, almost same experience, traded it back for a Garrett Sea Hunter Mk. II. and lost some more $$$ on that deal. I learned something though, Never believe the Hype! They won't get me next time! ::) Monty

Ed in SoDak

Jan 15, 2006
My wife and I each have a Time Ranger. I've redone the battery clips, very cheaply made, and also installed a metal coil plug to replace the cheap plastic one that went bad. So, yes for 500+, they could at least spend some of the profits on better hardware.

But, we've had no other problems and don't baby the units. One important thing to note is the detector has "soft power on" which means at least a part of the circuit is always "on" and waiting for you to press power. I verified that with a multimeter in series with the batteries. So we remove one side of each battery clip and swing it aside to totally disable the power. Otherwise, it's enough to drain the batteries in a few week's time.

Each battery does its own thing in the circuit. One runs processing, the second runs the audio amp at least, maybe more. It won't work with only one installed, like my Gold Bug 1 will. If either is weak, it may sorta work, but misbehave. The audio battery runs down faster, so it's good to swap them from one side to the other after awhile. Doing that may get you a little more hunt time if one battery is weaker than the other.

If it turns on and shuts right down, yup, check your batteries. Not kidding this time!

We've had them long enough now that I could just add a switch and then we'd save a lot of wear and tear on the clips. I added a volume control to mine, which is nice in quiet neighborhoods and also saves on batteries.

I've read the newer TR that uses C-cell batteries cured a lot of the power issues.

The TR has fast response to a signal. For fun on the way back to the car, I have gone at full stride and swinging fast and wide, it'll still catch a signal. I've also whip-tested it to see how fast I can pass the coil over one spot and catch a target I know is there. It's faster than you'll ever care to swing.

Normally, though, I'm pretty slow and thorough. At one playground, I followed my wife, who tends to go on cruise a lot, and found several quarters she missed and a ring. In her case, it's more of taking too wide a step between sweeps and missing ground. Plus she doesn't hunt enough to recall the fine points of operating it.

I've read the T-2 is fast also, with separate circuits for VDI and audio, so the audio is not lagged by id functions. For all I know, the TR already has that feature. I want a T-2, but it's just too much money for the little hunting time we put in.

While you could operate a detector on tiny batteries, they wouldn't last long. They are pumping as many milliwatts as the FFC will allow into their coils. That is a major limiting factor for power and depth, since detectors are treated as radio transmitters by the FCC and restricted as to maximum power output, and it ain't much, baby. About the same as the old cordles phones, RC airplanes and kid's walkie-talkies, around 150-300 milliwatt.

Maybe those of us in the far-away spots could make like a Pirate CB-er and add a little "footwarmer" to our coils!

-Ed

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always thought the Bounty Hunter detectors are highly under rated. Look at all the people who have gotten started in the mding hobby with the cheaper BH detectors. I'd wager that most of them didn't even know they were operating an "inferior" machine until they got on the net and read so much hype. From my experience (I own a Land Ranger) 99% of the average Joe's detecting work could be handled with a BH and they wouldn't be operating with a handicap. Top of the line BH detectors have all the bells and whistles of most high end detectors on the market today and for a lot less $$$. I never felt handicapped using my LR for most everything I do. Just my observations. Monty

S

Sparks2887

bakergeol said:
I didn't think I would ever pose that question.? A new model just came out- Teknetics T2 from Bounty Hunter. A Bounty high end model- cost $800. It was designed by Dave Johnson as competition to the Explorer 11.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...com/products/Cpod0033919.jsp&_requestid=14601

George

Might this be the same Dave Johnson who was on the engineering team for White's and working on the designing of the MXT and the GMT?

Tom in GA
"May All Your Beeps Be Valuable"

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent an email to Bounty Hunter several weeks ago asking about their new Tectonics unit. They finally answered a few days ago and said they would send me some literature on it. When it comes in I will update what it says. Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my Teknetics T2 flyer in the mail today.? Thought I'd share with everyone as there seems to be quite a bit of interest.? First off, the literature tells you very little about the machine.? It is loaded with buzz words that means very little to even the experienced detectorist.? It has words like, "Menu-driven User Interface", " Trigger-Acuated FASTGRAB (TM) Instant Ground Cancellation",? "Tunable Ground Cancellation" (I think this means automatic ground balance or manual ground balance)?? "Double-Filter Discrimination modes for trashy areas", "Intuitive User Interface"? whatever that means."Open-Frame Bi-Axial(TM) Search coil?(I think that means the same thing as eliptical)?? Aside from all that it goes on to state:

It has an all metal motion mode.? I am assuming it has some turn on and go modes as it has a discriminatin adjustment.? It says it is suitable for gold prospecting, coin shooting, and relic hunting.? Makes me wonder if it has multiple frequencies or not as it doesn't say.? If not at what frequency does it operate?? It doesn't say.? The literature states it is suitable for saltwater beaches. Pinpointing is accomplished by use of a "trigger", pull to pinpoint or push to "cancel ground mineral interference."? I think that last feature is similar to my "salt elimination mode" on my Garrett GTI 2500?? There is a VDL meter that runs constantly along with standard read outs on higher priced machines.? It claims to be able to detect a coin at 15" which is excellent depth.? It is supposed to run up to 30 hours on 4AA batteries, and that is about half as many batteries as most detectors.? If you don't have rechargable batteries this could be a $$$ saver.? The power supplly resides under the armrest.? The earphones plug in on the very end of the power supplly which I don't like.? It's that way on my GTI 2500 and it is easy to bump the plug in possibly causing damage.? I have to always remind myself to unplug my earphones before I put the machine away.? There is also another knob on the side of the encased power supply box that I am guessing is on/off/volume?The literature doesn't say. The power supply cord is completely enclosed in the armrest portion of the shaft. The LCD face is fairly large with only two adjustment knobs that operate the menu? Doesn't say. One knob is the dial type and the other looks like a pressure switch or push button type. The armrest is made of some type of flexible material that? you can bend to suit the amount of tension you desire.? Weight of the detector is 3.6 lb. including batteries.? There is no other information on other coils, etc that might be available.? MSRP is $999.00!

There you have it!? From what I can glean and guess, it will have the features of most high end detectors.? Glad to see they got rid of the "muffler" shape and are much more ergonomic.? The next step would be for someone to get hold of a manual and be able to comment on how the controls work and the ease or difficulty of operation.? I was disappointed in the flyer because of all the buzz words they used instead of ever day language and terms we are all use to.? I guess that's called hype?? Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread