ACE 150

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
my best advise would be to thouroghly read your owners manual.i have an ace 250 and some of the features are similar so i will try to explain..........there are three tones. a low tone a middle tone and a bell tone.the low tone is telling you that the detector sees iron. the middle tone can be a nickle, foil,a pulltab or even gold. the conductivity of these metals are similar so the detector rings the same tone over these typs of objects. the third tone is a bell tone that rings when the detector sees quarters, dimes,pennies, dollars, half dollars and silver.when you hear a tone look at your screen and a cursor will light up under whatever object the detector thinks you have found. keep in mind this is only a tool and it can be wrong. dig all of your targets at first to get an idea of how the machine will behave when it detects trash vs a good target. keep at it and it will make more sense in time. hope this helps a little. :)

OP
OP
S

suzyqdogs

Jul 4, 2005
Thanks so much for your help! Everyone is so friendly. I'm planning to go to an old picnic site this weekend. Any suggestions on looking for old coins. Will the sound be different if it's deeper?

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Scan around in your yard a little and make sure there aren't any targets then got get a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter and lay them out on the ground and see what they sound like when swinging fast and slow across them. Also, hold the pinpoint button and make a couple passes in the east to west and then north to south directions and see where the coin is when you get the best sound, that way you'll know how to pinpoint them when you can't see them.

As far as them sounding different at different depths, that can happen. i have the 250 and have found that the ID can get a little jumpy the deeper the target is, I would assume this would be due to the amount of mineralized ground between your coil and the target. One thing that helped me was to scan the target one direction and then turn 90 degrees and scan it again and see if you get the same ID reading. Of course, dig everything for a while until you are comfortable with the machine.

Dudes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread