Performance enhancements?

gunner6170

Oct 6, 2005
North Carolina
::)
First off... Howdy, ya'll! ;D
Been on the forums for about a week now and am mos def learning from all of the knowledge
ya'll present here! TY!

ok, i mostly figure to leave well enough alone, but has anyone noticed/know of any ways
to enhance the performance of their machines? I'm looking for little equipment tweaks,
i know the usual "practice, practice and more practice"! Trust me, i'm using my detector
when ever i get the chance! And yes, i am skeptical of opening up and messing with what i am
not familiar with, so only very minor or basic ideas, please! i am not an electrical engineer at all!
and i am honestly happy with the basic progs on the machine, just seeing ideas out there....

Now besides mechanical tweaks, can anyone offer environmental ideas? i am new, and i mean
NEW, to MDing so need to learn more! i have gleamed some knowledge from ya'lls posts, but
always looking for more! i figure i have a late model machine, so now i need to improve my mind
more than anything else to improve my finds.

Thanks for any and all ideas or shared knowledge! i'm loving the forums so far! :D
HH!

Rob

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Rob what sort of machine are you using.where are you using it.What are you looking for?

If you are using a single frequency machine in highly mineralised or salty wet soil you will get more depth by using a double d coil. If the soil you are in ?is dry and not very mineralised you will get more depth by using a concentric coil.
If you use no discrimination you will get more depth.
If your machine has a auto sensitivity setting, you will generally get more depth by setting your sensitivity manually turning it up until you start to receive false signals then backing of slightly.
You will get more depth by using bigger coils but be aware that you will miss smaller items.
Set yourself up with a test garden, firstly recording then ?burying ?an assortment of ?coins ?from an inch or so down to a foot and leave your test garden there perminently. Experiment with your machine in different settings taking note of the time of the year and the state of the ground. You will find when the soil is moist in middle of winter you might have to run your machine on different settings to what you would run in dryer warmer times to get those deeper coins. Practice on your garden regularly.
You will also find how loud you run your theshhold can have a bearing on depth and being able to hear those deeper targets turn your threshold down to nil ?and you wont be able to hear the faint deep targets,turn it up too ?high and you will miss targets again because of the noise. Having an audible theshhold that you can just hear is ideal , remember some deep faint signals dont always give a signal all you will hear is a flcker in the threshold. ?
Oh well better go seeya Neilo ?;D

OP
OP
gunner6170

gunner6170

Oct 6, 2005
North Carolina
:)
Neilo, thanx for posting some so far!
i'm using a BH Time Ranger and mostly coin shoot. i love looking for the coins or jewelry, which is
what i mostly have time for around here in Maryland. When I go back home to VA, there's some
good places to relic hunt and look for older coins. I mostly use the stock 8" coil, but also have the 4" coil it comes with. I'm fairly a noobie, so I'm playing with the sensitivity and audio settings a lot
when i go out right now. Like tonite, i hit a local park and tried all kinds of sensitivity settings cause
of the trash in some areas around the ballfield. I do go down to Va Beach and detect when i visit the folks back home, and i do real good there. Mostly it seems right now i'm doing what i read here... digging everything to try and learn what the detector is telling me with the signals. I'm surprised,
the Time Ranger is pretty darn good with letting me know what it is as it's normally correct. I did
get a lil surprise tonite with one hole i dug... the machine was giving me different readings, so i dug
and found out why. It was the first time i recovered more than one coin from a hole. I got five dimes
and one penny, which was what the detector was telling me was there! So i was happy with that,
and that included a second lesson from these forums and the mag... find your item and scan the hole again.
While i haven't set up a test garden, now that i'm getting better, it seems about time to.
K, i won't bore ya too long! But i do appreciate the info and i'll definitely psot my first great find!
Peace and HH! ;D

Rob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread