Minelab Excalibur Easy Shoulder Mount

C

Cape May Beach Bum

Hey Guys,
I bought an Excalibur 1000 and decided to shoulder mount the control unit and the battery pod.
Here is what you need.
(3) 5/16- 18 nylon bolts 1-3/4" long
(6) 5/16 nylon washers
(3) 5/16-18 nylon wing nuts
5/16" drill bit
3/16" drill bit
(1) 2" wide nylon sling approx 36 - 48 " long
(1) piece of PVC piping 7/8 o.d. X 11-1/4" long
(2) plastic wire ties
Electric or Battery operated hand drill

Here is how it goes together.

First take the control box and battery pod off of the original detector shaft.

Take the piece of PVC and lay it between the brackets of the control box.

Center the PVC end for end with the control box.

With the 5/16" drill , drill through the two existing holes in the control box, all the way through the PVC and out the other side of the control box.

Now assemble (2) of the 5/16"-18 x 1-3/4 " bolts and washers, wing nuts and attach the control box to the PVC.

Now assemble the battery pod to the PVC and do the same thing drill through the pod and the PVC .

Assemble the 5/16 bolt and washers, and wing nut through the battery pod.
Take the 3/16" drill and drill a hole at each end of the PVC approx 1/2" in from each end.

Now lay the 2" nylon belting lengthwise on the PVC and mark the belting where the two 3/16" holes are in the PVC.

Use an awl or other sharp object and poke two holes in the belting matching the distance of the two
3/16" holes in the PVC.

Push a wire tie through the belting and the 3/16" holes. The ties should go between the top of the PVC and the under side of the control box for the best fit.

There you have it, throw it over your shoulder and off you go.

The other thing I did, was on the original detector shaft, I didn't care for the little push buttons that held the battery pod and the control box in place. I couldn't get my fat fingers in the right place to get them to release. So I drilled out the push buttoms and opened the holes up to 5/16" diameter.
Now if I ever want to put the pod and control box back on the original shaft I can mount it with the same three nylon bolts that now bolt these units to the PVC.
If you need more info and or more photos let me know via e-mail or PM and I'll e-mail whatever you would like to have. This system works nicely for me hope it works for you as well if you decide to give it a try.

Attachments

• Minelab 006.jpg
    Minelab 006.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 235

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I have been using excaliburs for years and one problem which shoulder mounting and hip mounting have is staining the cable connections on the control box.Which eventually leads to water leaks. What have you done to allow for this? I have seen a couple of different mountings used where people have used nylon nuts and bolts which finished up cracking the casing of the main cotrol box and costing a lot of money for repair so be careful how tightly you do the bolts up.The unit must be allowed some clearance to allow for expansion and contraction due to pressure variation mainly caused through temperature changes.Try to keep the unit out of the hot sun and keep it cool and avoid putting the unit straight into cold water if it is hot. Seeya Neilo ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread