brand new to metal detecting , bought 1968 whites coinmaster iv HELP

miaggi2

Apr 25, 2009
i just bought a 1968 whites coinmaster 4, it didnt have any battery connections, but had the wires, i connected an 8 AA and a 9volt battery to it, it seems to make noise when put about 6" from a metal source, but the meter doesnt seem to move, only upon start up and to check the battery status..
can anyone give me advice, tell me about the unit, whats its value, how to work it, make it right, HELP >> LOL.
thank you

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Whites website. I think they have the manual for that machine on the site. I have an old coinmaster 2/DB and they had that manual.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...........MIAGGI2.........No offense but unless you are a Vintage Detector Collector........you are just wasting your time if you intend to use this for coin hunting!!......Especially for a Newbie it is not wise to start off with a detector that is so outdated.........for around $212.00 you can get a new Garrett Ace 250 or for around $200.00 you can get a Fisher F2...........Buying new is good .......you get a warranty and customer support...............Any reason why you bought a 1968 model detector??..................Not sure but you may have reasoned that you are saving money........this is why .......a lot of detectors wind up in the closet and another would be Treasure Hunter bites the dust!! ...........GOOD LUCK..........and HH.......Joe

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that buying an inexpensive detector when starting out is not a bad thing. Let's you sort out things and see if you are really going to get bitten by the bug. However, buying such an outdated machine will give you nothing but headaches and false impressions compared to what a new machine will do for you. Good Luck.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Coinmasters found a heck of a lot of coins when they were top of the line. They will STILL find coins so don't be discouraged.
The only "problem" I can think of is if the 1968 Coinmaster machines were the "whip" machines. Some designs of those early discriminator units required the coil be "whipped" across the ground with a fast sweep. That was why I did not want one for myself. I got a Garrett's Master Hunter 5 A.D.S. I DID get a White's Coinmaster I with the early TR discrim. that did NOT require a fast swing and loved that machine. It found a lot of good stuff for me. It's still in my closet, too.

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Those Coinmasters found a heck of a lot of coins when they were top of the line. They will STILL find coins so don't be discouraged.
The only "problem" I can think of is if the 1968 Coinmaster machines were the "whip" machines. Some designs of those early discriminator units required the coil be "whipped" across the ground with a fast sweep. That was why I did not want one for myself. I got a Garrett's Master Hunter 5 A.D.S. I DID get a White's Coinmaster I with the early TR discrim. that did NOT require a fast swing and loved that machine. It found a lot of good stuff for me. It's still in my closet, too.

Here's my old Coinmaster IV. It did not have to be whipped. Slower the better.
Those that had to be whipped were the newer the G.E.B motion machines

Attachments

• white.jpg
    white.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,486

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Svens. I had the Coinmasters' progression backwards. I think the first CMs were better than the GEBs.

And welcome to the forum. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread