Question on Coils

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Flattail, Skypilot here! Hard to say without knowing the age of the unit, but if you search shallow water, there may have been seepage into the housing. Or, if you have a coil cover, then if you haven't already, take it off and clean it very well, your coil also, as a piece of small metal may have gotten between the two of them, or highly minerlized dust. Also, if you search in the woods much, sometimes a briar will poke a small hole in the insulation on the coil wire, and moisture can get inside a mess up the works. My guess is that there is a bad place in you coil cable. But, it is only a guess. I would feel very carefully all the way over the entire cable, and if it is corrupted somewhere, then you'll find it. Also, I'm sure you already did this, but make sure the batteries are holding up under a load, especially if you are using the recharge pack. The only other thing that comes to mind is to check for corrosion on the pins where the coil plug connects to the unit. If that is the problem, simply clean them well, along with the female parts, and that should do it. Good luck, and please keep us posted and let me know if this helps!

OP
OP
F

flattail395

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
Thanks Skypilot,this unit is about 8yrs. old and haven't had any problems with it until now.I don't use it to water hunt,mostly clad shooting at the local schools.It doesn't have a coil cover and everything looks o.k.except for the cord where it plugs into the box is a little bent but doesn't seem broken or frayed.I don't know if my local dealer will even look at it since I didn't purchase it through him,but thats my next step other than buying a new coil.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Flattail, Great idea! Whites has a "maintenance service", that is recommended every so many years, however, I was told that all that is done to "balance" the unit is to make sure the grounds all register the same. I believe you are on the right track, sorry I wasn't able to help, but at least you can rule out those things, I suppose. Please let me know what you find out, and I'll store it away for future reference. Regards, Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions