Batteries?

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was told by someone that the Duracell batteries last so long because they actually pulse power as opposed to other batteries.

I was told this when my son purchased one of those rechargeable helicopters from a Brookstone store. We were told not to use them because of this. They will not work well with this toy.

Any thoughts on this? If this is true how would this effect a detector if at all.
Personally I have never about this before.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
False. NiCads & NiMH have better high-current capability than alkaline, which is why they are used in RC, as well as demanding electronics like digital cameras.

- Carl

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl-NC said:
False. NiCads & NiMH have better high-current capability than alkaline, which is why they are used in RC, as well as demanding electronics like digital cameras.

- Carl

It is also true that you can not use Lithium batteries in metal detectors. Sounds like a good deal, but none of the manufactures advise to use them.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
It is also true that you can not use Lithium batteries in metal detectors. Sounds like a good deal, but none of the manufactures advise to use them.

Not true... Lithium batteries will work just fine.

- Carl

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
Pulse power??
What a load of BS. A battery produces DC, so stop worrying.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa said:
Thanks for your valuable input Carl, how is it going at Whites?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Busy!

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
can't use lithium in detectors ! Not true, I have a detector that came from the factory with 2 rechargeable lithium packs.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground Hog said:
I was told by someone that the Duracell batteries last so long because they actually pulse power as opposed to other batteries.

I was told this when my son purchased one of those rechargeable helicopters from a Brookstone store. We were told not to use them because of this. They will not work well with this toy.

Any thoughts on this? If this is true how would this effect a detector if at all.
Duracell are crap, don't use them :(

SS.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Silver Searcher said:
Ground Hog said:

Duracell are crap, don't use them :(

SS.

Well lets hear what all you pro's use!!!! WHATS THE BEST,,,, OR IS IT GUARDED SECRET??????? :o

Monte

Jun 5, 2008
Vale, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact (2), FORS Relic (3), FORS CoRe (2)
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II µMAX, Silver Sabre µMAX & Mojave
Makro and Nokta Pinpointers
Killer-B 'Hornet' headphones
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
artzstuff1 said:
Well lets hear what all you pro's use!!!! WHATS THE BEST,,,, OR IS IT GUARDED SECRET??????? :o
It's no secret, at least with me. I prefer to use a good quality alkaline battery. I buy the 48 AA alkaline 'Kirkland' batteries at Costco (their house brand) because they are made in the USA, cost is minimal, and they have a decent run-time. About $10.59 or so for 48 of them.

Monte

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 V 's for the Tesoro an AA's for the 250 all from the dollar store , sorry I tried the expensive ones an didn't see a difference so why pay out all the extra money , just what I use an my 2 cents.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monte said:
artzstuff1 said:
It's no secret, at least with me. I prefer to use a good quality alkaline battery. I buy the 48 AA alkaline 'Kirkland' batteries at Costco (their house brand) because they are made in the USA, cost is minimal, and they have a decent run-time. About $10.59 or so for 48 of them.

Monte

I also use the Costco batteries. They typically last about 20 hours. So I guess that equates to around 240 hrs. of detecting for a little over $10.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Tank69 said:
9 V 's for the Tesoro an AA's for the 250 all from the dollar store , sorry I tried the expensive ones an didn't see a difference so why pay out all the extra money , just what I use an my 2 cents.

Thats where I get mine at dollar store, copper tops,, energizers,, I have about as good a luck with the cheaper panasonics, they dont seem to last as long in the vaquero as the bandito!!! that vaq. burns them pretty fast!!

thanks

arthur

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 250 burns em up a lil fast but the Eldorado lasts forever on em

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tank69 said:
Ditto Thats what do I buy ACDelco for the Ace 250 and Panasonic for the MXT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread