help the newbie

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
unfortunately thats what it takes to get rings.....(short answer)

the long answer is that rings can be varying sizes, different amounts of metal, different metals altogether, deep or shallow. that makes IDing them pretty doggone tough. Anybody who has located lots of rings will tell you they probably dig a bucket full of trash for every ring!

On the good side, it only takes one good one to pay for your detector!

It's a good idea, when you find one, to try and locate the owner if there's any identifying inscriptions. Class rings are the easiest, and getting them back to their owners is worth its weight in gold. It's a good feeling!

If the owner can't be found, well then.... what you do with it is up to you.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes a ring will sound good but usually sounds like trash, necklaces and bracelets sound even trashier, LOL! You gotta dig it all, the best discriminator is a shovel. HH, Mike

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
The More Trash You Dig, The More Treasure You Find. Just One Of The Rules We Have To Live With. Best of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
these guys all know what they are talking about. digging trash kinda goes along with the terriory when you are hunting for gold jewelry.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I found 5 rings 3 real nice ones and 2 where cheap O's. I think I dug something like 200 pulltabs and poptops per each one. If I wanted to find rings I think I would go to a swimming hole that has sand. You get more targets out of the ground in less time with less work. I dig everything but the iron targets and most of the time I dig them just to see what they are. Just go ahead and get a display case for the waters edge matchbox cars your about dig. I have to say that I have found more monster trucks and police cars and pickup trucks then any other type.. Don't forget to look for hoop earrings and those tiny little toe rings......

I would test my detector if I were you. I would get a small bit of gold maybe a earring or small thin braclet and air test just to make sure you can pick it up before you go out and do all that swinging...

The gold band in the picture below hit just like a pull tab I had just dug 50 or 100 pull tabs with the same tone and reading so I dug one more and this thing pops out....

Good Luck let us know what you find.

Kermit

Attachments

• tn_Gold Band.JPG
    tn_Gold Band.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 284
  • tn_Gold Band.JPG
    tn_Gold Band.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 287

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these guys are right about digging a ton of trash to find rings. Silver rings are easy as finding concrete blocks under water resting on the sand. Sometimes when I am lazy I will only dig targets in the mid range or tones and skip the coins. Time spent digging all those pennies is time you could have spent swinging for the gold rings. Good Luck

S

southbound

Just curious, what brand of detector do you have? Vern

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the words of Lonewolfe,quote "the road to gold is paved with pulltabs" unquote.Jewelry that I have found has pinged between pulltab/foil/nickel.Keep tryin and dig it all.Good luck.HH

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just check your all metal mode ,You could be in all metal that is why your picking up trash.....Hope this helps Seeker

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I agree with everyone dig rubbish to get rings .What no one says which is more important is to make the retrieval of your targets as easy as possible. If you are using some crappy little garden hand shovel to retrieve your targets throw it away and get yourself a long handled tool which makes digging easy. You will be able to dig more signals and retreive more goodies in the time you are detecting. If you are detecting a beach get yourself a sand sifting scoop with a handle at least a metre long preferably made of stainless steel. As you walk along brag the scoop behind you to leave a trail so you know where you have walked that way you are not going over ground you have already been over. When you get a signal you can dig it in seconds standing up not on your hands and knees trying to find it. The quicker you can rertrieve your targets the more good things you get to take home.If you are detecting a beach remember most jewelry will be right on the edge of the water or in water less than 12inches deep. Good luck seeya Neilo ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread