Garrett gold stinger coil repair

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse
Every time I do a sweep with my gold stinger it gives a false signal ,which is very distracting and makes it hard to concentrate on the faint weak signals that are the deeper older targets.I have isolated the problem to the coil .Is it possable to cut open the coil head and repair it or is it nonrepairable? Other that the false signal from shaking it or sweeping it it performs well.Are there any other coils that will work with the gold stinger than the 5x7 or the 3x5 that comes with them? Any information is welcome,thanks

OP
OP
suwannee pirate

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse
well I took the coil apart [carefully] and found that the coil is set in epoxy but the strange thing is that the top and bottom covers are painted with a dark grey paint of some kind and there is a coil spring that makes contact between the two covers . so that must be the crossfire system as there are two different sets of wires coming out of the coil head. I also noticed that on the bottom coil cover that the grey'paint' was worn off in places on it where the contact spring rested. If I lightly squeezed the coil it would go off the same if I bumped it on a twig or anything, even a little shake would set it off.
I put the smaller nugget coil on it and it does the same thing only not nearly as bad.If any one has a Gold Stinger Could you please tell me is this normal operation or what . The smaller nugget coil has hardley been used and it is starting to do it.I have used Garretts for many years and they were always rugged machines . I am always carefull ,it's not like I am using it for a brushbeater . Thanks for any information ....Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread