The FCC and Frequency

swent1

May 17, 2007
NH/MASS
Detector(s) used
tesoro deleon whites idx pro
I am just curious about the fcc regulations on frequency of metal detectors
i dont know anything about this but have heard it mentioned in a few posts
how high or low of a frequency isnt allowed in the U.S. the reason i ask is i am
thinking about purchasing a new detector maybe one of the euro models such as the
XP goldmaxx which runs at 18khz any help or info would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding with XP detectors is that their wireless headphone circuitry is not FCC certified, therefore they can't sell to the US market. However, if you find a used one and no one is looking...

Generally there are no detector frequency restrictions until you get up around 100kHz.

- Carl

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
So if there were no FCC restrictions could US MD manufacturers use different frequency's that would actually make Md's better at detecting and IDing metal? Or can they already utilize the best possible frequency's and the FCC restrictions don't matter? Meaning simply, if the FCC dropped all frequency restrictions today would all the major manufacturers start coming out with new machines tomorrow?

TG

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texasgopher said:
So if there were no FCC restrictions could US MD manufacturers use different frequency's that would actually make Md's better at detecting and IDing metal? Or can they already utilize the best possible frequency's and the FCC restrictions don't matter? Meaning simply, if the FCC dropped all frequency restrictions today would all the major manufacturers start coming out with new machines tomorrow?

Probably not, because the most practical frequencies for metal detection (below 100kHz) are already available. The problem with XP isn't with the detection frequency, rather the wireless headphones, which is an entirely different issue.

- Carl

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Its not just the frequency that is the problem, it might be the power output. Some low power stations are actually allowed to transmit in the normal radio frequency bands. A good example are those info. messages transmitted on the highway. They don't carry to far because of power output restructions. Maybe, as mentioned by other posts, the headphones exceed these limitations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread