QUESTION ,,, EXCELERATOR COILS VS WHITES IN HOUSE DD COILS ?????

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HELLO ALL, CAN ANYONE TELL ME AN ADVANTAGE I WILL GET BY USING AN EXCELERATOR DD COIL VS THE WHITES IN HOUSE DD`S. I AM USING THE WHITES MXT WITH THE NORMAL 9.5 CONCECTRIC COIL. I HUNT COLONIAL SITES ONLY, HERE IN PA. AND WANT TO PURCHASE A DD COIL FOR THE FACT THEY GIVE A NARROW DETECTION WINDOW AND PUNCH DEEPER IN MINERALIZED GROUND THAN THE CONCENTRIC DOES WITH IT`S CONE SHAPED SIGNAL....... WILL I GET ANY EXTRA DEPTH GOING TO THE EXCELERATOR MODELS( 10in.ROUND DD ) THAN THE ,,,, LETS SAY THE 6 X 10 DD ELIPTICAL..................I AM A TECH BUFF SO PLEASE GIVE ME IN DEPTH INFO LIKE MULTIPUL HARMONICS, FREQ COMPATABILTY, ECT.......... THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR ANY INFO, PACO

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Paco: Save a few bucks and stick with what you got. The DD has more dept on the edges of the coil, but since you are moving it side to side you gain nothing. Also yours will actually go a little deeper in the center. The DD is not quite as good at pinpointing since there are actually two "sweet spots", one in the center of each coil. I have been using my XLT for 10 years with its standard coil. I found a blacksmith made ax head at 10+" loude and clear. The ax head is 200 years old.

Attachments

• ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2,112
  • ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2,005

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its real simple. keep the coil you have. (stock) turn down or off your disc. and use the meter for id. you will get plenty of depth. you dont have to keep spending cash for dis dat and everything else. unless you really want to, ps# hows kirk?

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
I used the MXT extensively for 4 years. My 10" DD was definitely deeper for me in my soil. I used both the 10 Excelerator and the Whites D2 coil, both performed the same. I tested the 10" Excelerator for Kellyco and it is a great coil for the MXT.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A DD coil does not have 2 sweet spots, it has a band that runs down the middle from the front to the rear of the coil, and it is a square depth, same at the front or rear, as the middle. That is why they are getting so popular. You find a lot more with them.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
There is a White's forum, click on the White's logo at top of TNet. They do not allow discussion of other detector brands, but they do allow discussion of the White's coils vs. other coils made for White's detectors. HH, George (MN)

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white's D2 10" DD coil is great for depth and separation, I can get a dime at 10"+ with that coil. You will find stuff that would be missed with the 950 coil if there is iron or trash in the area your detecting. I liked it so much I've bought an extra one in case something happens to one I'll still have one to use when sending the other off for repair, its the coil I use almost all the time so I won't be missing the deep stuff. HH

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
stevemc, That band down the middle is the flat sides of the two coils. It's like the two flat sides of the "D's" in DD, but one is backwards. The two windings sit side by side. The two centers form "sweet spots", yes two sweet spots. That is why a DD does not pinpoint as well as a concentric coil. In reality the DD does have a flatter bottom on it's pattern, but that is because the cone point is not there. In other words, the DD does not go as deep. But it is a good sales gimmick.
Frank

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using DD coils for over 4 years. I have a WOT coil, both a SEF 12"x15" and 15"x18" Butterfly coils and I have no problem pinpointing with any of them, and although primarily a water hunter, I do hunt land with my Sov GT and WOT coil..... They are all 3 deeper that the stock ML 10 inch coil....

I know your asking about the Whites, but just saying my experience has been very positive with the DD coils, both in depth and pinpointing.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Here's something to think about. I looker up the tec spec on the Excelerator coils and found out some of them are actually concentric coils, an offset concentric design that differs slightly from regular concentrics. Some are "overlapping DD" design coils which probably eliminates the dual sweet spot and makes them pinpoint better.

Here's something else to think about. Say your detector puts out 3 Watts of power.A concentric coil puts out the full 3 Watts, while the DD splits the power. That means each half of the DD is only putting out 1 1/2 Watts. True the total output is still the 3 Watts, but where is the advantage?

Frank

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank,

Try one sometime and compare the differences, I am by no means an expert when it comes to detecting, my opinion is based strictly on my personal experiences (75%) and reviews (25%) on what I have read about these two different types of coils.. See how many hunters switch to a DD coil then go back to the concentric coils, I really don't think you will find that high of a percentages compared to those how don't go back.......

I have used both the EXcellerator and the SEF Butterfly coils and the SEF Butterfly DD coils in my opinion are 10 times better......

Truthfully, I honestly believe it is to my advantage that no one else used a DD coil at the beach but myself..... ;D

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Treasure_hunter, I don't mean to bring down any coil design. After all they are the simplest part of the detector. My point is that a lot of after market items just aren't needed to satisfy the average detectorist. You mentioned beach hunting. I use a Whites Surfmaster PI Pro, box stock, to hunt beaches. I have found rings at 10" on the beach with it. I have found items like boat anchors at better than 2' with it. Most of my equipment is stock. I purchase the right piece of equipment for the job and it does it stock. Why blow extra money when you get something that will already do the job? I just picked up a used Hays 2 Box and took it to a site to try it out It picked up a .50 cal. ammo box at 12'. I don't need anything extra for it . It does the job it was made to do. There is a large aftermarket out there reaching for your money. They are pushing "overkill" and some of it is imaginary ! Frank

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Treasure_hunter, I don't mean to bring down any coil design. After all they are the simplest part of the detector. My point is that a lot of after market items just aren't needed to satisfy the average detectorist. You mentioned beach hunting. I use a Whites Surfmaster PI Pro, box stock, to hunt beaches. I have found rings at 10" on the beach with it. I have found items like boat anchors at better than 2' with it. Most of my equipment is stock. I purchase the right piece of equipment for the job and it does it stock. Why blow extra money when you get something that will already do the job? I just picked up a used Hays 2 Box and took it to a site to try it out It picked up a .50 cal. ammo box at 12'. I don't need anything extra for it . It does the job it was made to do. There is a large aftermarket out there reaching for your money. They are pushing "overkill" and some of it is imaginary ! Frank

Frank, I didn't take it as you were putting them down.....

With my WOT on my 1st excal, I have pulled dimes and quarters up from ever bit of 14 inches in the wet sand, pulled a gold bangle bracelet with it from that deep as well in wetsand, today I pulled a quarter with the SEF 12x15" Butterfly coil on my 2nd excal at over 12 inches digging with my Beachbrute II, it was deep.....No gold on the new SEF 12x15 Butterfly yet, I just got it on the excal last week but it looks very promising in depth and performance.....

I will not even use a 10 inch coil when I beach hunt, I was in the surf yesterday with the 12x15 with over 2 foot waves swinging it with no problem other than the waves breaking in my face when I was over waist deep, back in it again today for 6 hours, stop and eat and then back again for 2 hours at the hotel, no problem swinging it either, the problem is there is some black sand and the rough surf causing Excal to false some........... I am not fudging the depths either, some of the other users of the WOT and SEF Butterfly coils can back these claims up...

Headed back out tomorrow morning at 6:30am..........

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well I guess you never know until you try one. I just saw an ad for the Whites Sierra Madre/ULA-3 with the optional 15" coil. The ad said it is good for 5'. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread