Whats so special about this frequency???

Huizer

Jan 27, 2005
Hi all, I have a Whites XLT and I was looking through the manual and it says that the frequency select should be on number 4 which is the optimal frequency for best results. The other frequencies are to use if you get some interferance from other detectors. Well, what I want to know is why the frequency 6592.5Hz is the best??
1 = 6027.5 Hz
2 = 6204.7 Hz
3 = 6392.7 Hz
4 = 6592.5 Hz
5 = 6805.2 Hz
6 = 7032.0 Hz
7 = 7274.5 Hz

The lower the frequency the deeper the detection? Or is it the higher the frequency the smaller the object being detected?

Dan

G

Ground Squirrel

I was under the impression that the alternate frequencies provided on the XLT are for allowing several detectors to be used in close proximity. To a much less degree, changing the frequency on an XLT might compromise for slight variations in the construction of the search coil but I doubt that. The difference in the frequencies is only about 200 hertz which is not a great enough variance to provide a noticeable effect when trying to "tweek" the XLT for searching other metal types, ie, gold. Detectors that excel in gold searches most usually have operating frequencies several thousand hertz higher than the 6.5 kHz frequency of the XLT.

Just my 2-bits.

Ground Squirrel

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Change the frequency at your peril. The option is only provided as an attempt to minimise interference from other machines and any shift up or down will affect performance and lose depth. The machine is set up/optimised for the default frequency as the handbook says.

OP
OP
Huizer

Huizer

Jan 27, 2005
I think what I am trying to say is: How does Whites know that the frequency on setting #4 is the best? how did they come to determine that that particular frequency along with this certain coil provided the best searching paramiters? did they just settle on this frequency because it was the lowest they could go without expensive components? and because of this did they design the coil to match? or is there something really special about that certain frequency?

Just thinking outloud.

Dan.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That frequency is whites standard. They have used it for years. It is a frequency the their products get the best overall results. The amount of adjustment allowed lets same model/maker detectors operate in close proximity. The operation is not noticeably effected. This feature is great for organized hunts where you may see 5-10 or more of the same brand. My IDX PRO has a knob for quick on the fly adjustments. Makes it a great organized hunt machine.

Ed Donovan

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed is right, freq #4 is closest to what White's has used for years in their analog detectors. The coils and the electronics (especially the target ID) are set up for this frequency, so if you move very far off, you might lose depth (because the coil is not tuned right, not because the new frequency is "worse") or get a shift in TID.

White's is not saying #4 is the best frequency in the whole wide world, it was just what they settled on in the late 1970's. Other companies use different frequencies, and they all get roughly the same depth.

- Carl

willie3960

May 29, 2006
Long Isliand N.Y.
Detector(s) used
DFX .MXT.
HI while I'm new to metal detecting I have read a lot. I have been hunting with a dfx for the past six months. far from being an expert. But I have read that whites uses the 6.5 kHz in the xlt because they feel its a good compromise. lower frequency's like 3kHz favor sliver higher like 15kHz favor gold so they felt 6.5 kHz would be a good all around detector. for a wide variety of targets. Hope this helps?

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
They could have picked #2 or #3 and tuned the components to #2 or #3 and then they would be the optimum frequency. They could have picked a frequency between #3 and #4 they just didn't. Rob

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
I think Carl has it. Every coil of wire (particularly when part of a more complicated circuit) has its own characteristic "most responsive frequency" (for want of technical terminology.) No doubt they could have made the coil differently and then had a different "best frequency." No doubt the other frequency options also perform well with this specific coil, but the one they recommend is probably the best "coupled" frequency for this coil. I also don't doubt that other companies' coils work best at different frequencies, each specific to its coil's design.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions