Detector problem, help request...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I have a Discovery (RadioShack/Bounty Hunter). I have a headphone adaptor plug so I can get rid of the big cup headphones and use some smaller ones with the smaller jack plugging into the adaptor and then into the detector. The problem is that the smaller headphones, which work fine otherwise, will not give me any sound with certain tones on the detector. I can see the detector indicating that it's picking up those tones, but the sound is not coming through when I use the adaptor for the smaller headphones. My bigger headphones with the larger plug worked fine on all tones. Any ideas? If it matters, it seems to be the copper/silver tones (just the ones I want) that are not audible. Thanks.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of two things, Bad reducer/adapter, or a bad set of head phones. Make sure both are for a stereo output. Then try a new one of each. If you are electronically inclined measure the impedance(resistance) with an ohm meter on the detector jack and the headphones. The closer they match the better (40-100 ohms maybe?).

Apr 17, 2005
Detector(s) used
VX3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ecdonovan said:
One of two things, Bad reducer/adapter, or a bad set of head phones. Make sure both are for a stereo output. Then try a new one of each. If you are electronically inclined measure the impedance(resistance) with an ohm meter on the detector jack and the headphones. The closer they match the better (40-100 ohms maybe?).

Hi ecdonovan,

how can I do that..?

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will see three seperated metal areas on the plug tip. Measure from the largest to each of the smaller areas, they should be equal. Now that I think about it measuring the detectors output resitance can be hard. Try find the manual and see if the resistance for the headphone jack is given. Else get a friend who is into electronics (or a repair guy) to help if you can. It may be as low as 4 to 8 ohms now that I have done a little more research.

Ed Donovan

Apr 17, 2005
Detector(s) used
VX3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TNX for the quick response, Ed.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
When I went to an external amplified speaker,I experienced the same thing.Speaker was mono,detector was stereo.A 1.65 adapter at RS stereo to mono cured it quick.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The symptoms of a mono to stereo problem should be no sound out of one speaker. A really cheap adapter may not work at all, but the original problem was certain tones were not heard. I assumed that was by both headphone speakers. If this was not actually the problem, then try the mono / stereo suggestion as it is a common one as stated above.

Good hunting.

Ed Donovan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread