White Coin Master TR

P

pidjammies1

My friend bought a White Coin Master TR for $5 at a thrift shop and gave it to me. It needed a knob and a battery and works. If anyone has had experience with using these machines, please enlighten me about using it. It has no headphone jack. Just a very loud mono speaker. It's disturbing to me and anyone within ear shot. I am going to add a headphone jack. The only control knob has no details. What do the different level marks on the knob mean?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an Early BFO

You may want to Go to the WHITES site
Just Click the Icon above.

Go to "Homepage"

& "Support"

and "Manuals"

and

Older White's Metal Detector Manuals

OP
OP
P

pidjammies1

Hello Jeff,
Thanks for reply. I already went to the White home page and into the archives for manuals and found the detector but it had no information on the knob. There are only hash marks on the detector.. The speaker is so loud, I threatened to have it Midasized. The box is big and hollow and I am going to try putting some felt on the box where the metal touches to reduce the resonation.
Julie

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
them early BFOs were/are a Nightmare.

I remrmber mine was loud. and there realy wasn't any Adjustments
that did much.

If it is a BFO as I think, it will sound like a Flying Saucer Buzzing someone in those old Sci Fi movies of the 50's when you move metal across the coil.

Dosn't it quiet down some when you back off on the Knob ?

Does the Knob Turn it on & off, or is there another switch to do that ?

Sounds to me like it has an internal malfunction, if the Knob dosn't seem to do anything.

one more Question. the Knob, does it go so far & stop, or does it turn forever ?
I'm trying to figure out it's use.

OP
OP
P

pidjammies1

The knob only turns so far. It is the on/off switch. There are hash marks around it so they must mean something, maybe sensitivity. I left the detector at Rvbvetter's house. Wouldn't want to scare the other tenants in my building. Next time I go up there, I will put a headphone jack in it and insulate the framework of the box with felt. I think a lot of the noise is due to the metal box vibration. Somehow we will tame the gnarly beast. Thanks again. 8)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm missing something here anyway.

it Must have been a Brain Lock :P

Your Title says "TR"

if that is on it.

it is a Transmitter / Receiver Not B.F.O.

Soooo

There should be a way to Quiet the tone to a just audible Tone.

TR detectors are not Motion Detectors, but do Discriminate.

At least the ones I'm aware of do.

One Knob Confuses me.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
See if this works for you...

There should be a big knob reading METAL and MINERAL with an "O" in between.

Turn it so that the pointer is centered on the "O". It should be quiet there; that's called the "null." If it's not, move it a little one way or the other until it does get quiet.

Next, slowly turn it slightly toward the METAL side. As soon as you hear a faint sound, kind of like the buzzing of a bee, stop moving the knob. That faint sound is called the "threshold tone."

Now lower the searchcoil to the ground. The detector will probably go quiet when you do. Lift the coil and see if the faint buzz is still there. If it is, fine; if not, move the knob a little farther toward METAL until you hear the buzz again.

Pass the searchcoil over a coin on the ground. The detector should make a loud Beep! when it is centered over the coin.

Every so often, check to see if the threshold tone (buzz) is still there. It will gradually drift into silence or get louder as you use the detector, and when it does you will need to adjust it back to the threshold before you continue hunting.

OP
OP
P

pidjammies1

??? B F O? What is that? I don't know what the TR means either. In this instance it could mean totally ridiculous. :P It is a unique machine. The one-knob feature really bothers me too. I'm fairly new at detecting. I bought my first detector, the Ace 250, in August of last year. I love it. We are always looking for new places to hunt.
Rvbvetter discovered this area in the Livermore, CA valley and drove up there the other day. Very interesting history. The main attraction is the coal mine and the town is called Tesla. Rvb said he saw a thick vein of coal exposed in the mine shaft. Awesome sight. I would love to go up and explore this area but I did some research last night and discovered that there is a team of archaeologists that are working on the area and it is protected by the Bureau of Land Management. Sounds like trouble for curious detectorists. I have to tell Rvbv before he goes up there again.
Here is a link to a site with the history of the area. I thought it might interest you since you are from PA and familiar with coal mining towns.

http://teslacoalmines.netfirms.com/Tesla.html

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BFO (Beat Frequency Oscilator) SP. is hard for me to Explain.

TR is (Transmit Receive). the detector transmits a Signal into the ground.
I believe when the signal hits a target the signal bounces back,
and the Machine reacts.

Intresting Site you Included.

I learned something new.
I didn't know California had Coal towns. I thought they were all Gold
Mining towns out there.

OP
OP
P

pidjammies1

I have a geologist friend who works for the USGS in Boulder, CO. He didn't know there was coal in CA either. There is another coal mine about 30 miles NW of Livermore called Black Diamond Mines. A massive explosion shut it down in the 1920's. We also have a Quicksilver mine in the San Jose area called the New Almaden Mine. I found a piece of Cinnabar ( mercuric sulphide) on the beach that had washed down from a nearby stream.
A company in Stockton made Rekston pottery with the clay from Tesla. It was only made for 2 years. It burned down too. Some very rare and valuable pieces of art.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread