Tip to watch out for!!!

Huizer

Jan 27, 2005
Hi all, I was using my XLT recently and was disappointed with the performance. I could not find anything deep at all. Even when I used the preset programs which seemed to work very good before. I did a few air tests with it when I got home. Performance was sub par. I own a Classic IDX as well and thought I would change its coil with the XLT. Performance returned. Now I was very interested in the XLT coil. What was wrong with it? Well the XLT coil has a cover on it. The Classic IDX does not. I had been doing some beach hunting with the XLT. I could hear sand inside when I tipped it over. So, I popped the coil cover off and found that a large amount of sand had gotten in between the coil and the cover. I got a very strong magnet and put it in the sand. Instantly it was covered with what looked like iron filings. Dark black sandy looking stuff. I think the XLT was ground balancing through the sand and was losing depth. So keep an eye out on your coil covers.....keep them sealed or check frequently for stuff in between...I wasted a night out hunting struggling to find anything at all.....

Dan.

G

Ground Squirrel

Interesting to me that your coil was doing this.

As you know, I recently sent my XLT in for a "check up" and the main thing they identified as the part causing me trouble was the coil. I remove and clean my cover (and coil) after each hunt but it sounds like when an XLT starts acting "weird" the first thing to look into might just be the coil.
They did replace the display "pod" but that's got nothing to do with the detector electronics as far as the coil is concerned... the pod is only an "operator interface" and all the working guts are in the main housing.

My XLT with it's new coil really kicks butt! If I had known how well an XLT was sposta work before I bought this one, I would have called it junk before buying it and went looking for a better one... still, considering the initial cost (used detector) plus this repair session, I'm still ahead of the game by a few bucks. White's repair guys really rock!

I'm still thinking about the waterproofing thing... but for now I'm covered in "wanna-bumps" and need to get some hunting done. :)

GS

OP
OP
Huizer

Huizer

Jan 27, 2005
I still have the waterproofing itch myself.....just realized that all the waterproof boxes I can find are not big enough for the circuit board. I think I will try the water proofing on my IDX first. Just found an electronics project box and I think I can fit everything inside....But, its gonna look like the sealant gun had its way with it. I need to get this done as I am going camping in a week!!!!

Dan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread