extremely penetrating detector... help please

karslake

Greenie
Sep 23, 2006
Hi
My name is Richard.
I have a question for someone who can help me.
Having made many PI detectors and a few VLF balance induction and TRs plus having owned six traditional makes of VLF detectors I can roughly say that PI´s are easy to operate no fuss and for a copper coin these can detect them on non mineralized soil at a depth of around 5 inches maximum.
For VLF´s the penetration is not more than 4 inches at best and once the discriminator is slammed in, this distance is reduced at aproximately 2 inches also at best. These detectors have been in my opinion difficult slow and painful to use as the signal needs to be constantly zeroed and the threshold set but this setting is very dodgy depending on mineralization and distance the search coil is passed over the soil no matter how much or less tuning sensitivity or ground control is acted upon.
I always keep my eyes reading and observing every schematics I can get my eyes on....but the other day a chinese detector fell in my hands, and tried it out. It is sold in USA as the MP5 proswift or swiftseeker. I could not believe the amount of penetration it possesed. It could detect a copper coin buried at around 10 or more inches into the ground in the pinpoint mode. Not to mention bigger targets. It triples all known vlfs know by me up to date an doubles my PIs... Plus it is dead easy to use. The way it works is simply by an increase of pitch in the audio signal , a signal that is terribly sensible to metal only and it surely rips through the soil very well thank you. I read somewhere that this is called APC pinpoint. The machine has auto tune and a mode where a switch connets a buzzer when encountering metal every time the search head is moved. This mode is also quite amazing being able to detect a very smal coin very deeply in beach clean sand. Beer cans at about 20 inches deep into the sand. I have not been able to try the discriminator or was faulty... because it was not working. Anyway this pinpointing mode is far good enough for me and in order to use it kept my finger pressing the button all the time. I can´t understand why manufacturers did not till today produce this analogic ample spectrum readout signal on VLF´s .... to let the ear resolve whether there´s metal or not instead of that anoying threshold zero tune that is obviouly designeg to bring the treasure hunter into craziness and to loose treasure.
Obviously technology in metal detecting has developed quite a bit since good old days and my question is. Are American top detectors as good as this one? Because this one left me in blank.... Needless to say I found very deep two huge relics in my first outing....upon a terrain that had been scanned with my PIs before.
Or maybe this detector is using another type of wave, and frecuency or technology.. Microwaves for example allthough they point that it works with 12.5 Kh. Does anyone know? :'(
Cheers
Richard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread