question on pin pointers

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro, HeadHunter Pirate
I got mine from KellyCo with my order for free. It looks like mine is an older model seems how they have the V4 listed and mine is a V2. They are going for 80$ at KellyCo http://www.kellycodetectors.com/vibra/automaxprecisionpinpointer.htm

The only thing i don't like about it, is it big. nice thing is it comes with a nice belt clip. I guess i just need to start using the clip instead of carry it in hand. I have had mine now for about 2 years and have had no problems with the thing. There are alot of different pinpointers out there so shop around. I think they all do the same thing when it comes down to it. HH

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 454

Two Dogs

Aug 24, 2005
York, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Various models of White and Garrett
Having used various models of metal detecting stud finders as well as the unit offered by Kellyco I find them both lacking. The stud finders aren't desirable because of their shape and the Kellyco version is both to big and to fragile. I recently purchased a Vibra Probe for $99. on the internet and love it. It's built like a tank and does a great job. It will locate a coin within about 1 1/2' from tip and is perfect for probing holes. If it vibrates you know exactly where the coin is. This wasn't the case with previous pin pointing devices. This is my personal opinion and others are free disagree. Two Dogs

eric in ks

Oct 29, 2005
middle america
Spend the few extra bucks and get the sunray probe. I know they're pricey, but they really only made a great detector that much better. They discriminate just like your coil, don't seem too drain the batteries, are lightweight, and just conveneint. Use it once or twice and you'll never want to hunt without it again. HH, Eric

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get the vibra-probe! it is very solid. I have dropped it dozens of times and have abused it in almost every way. Very nice brand. Ask CC2004 for his view on it.

HH
-GC

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
Got a Bullseye II of the ebay and love it. Not too expensive either. I think it was under $70. Just a thought

99Brown

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
I hunted for a while without a pin pointer. I know I missed some finds without it. When I bought My new Detector, couldn't beat the price on an Automax V4 ,so I also bought it. It has a Light and Vibrates. Works well
but I won't say its better than any other model. I have it,so I use it!!
Good luck & HH

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't used any others, but I like the vibraprobe too.

OP
OP
bill gent

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
so the majority vote is hand held ??? had looked at the sun ray infact they make one for the ace250 thats about 100+ it attachs to the machine do the ones that do (attach), seem to detect better then stand alones or it dosen't matter?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill gent said:
so the majority vote is hand held ??? had looked at the sun ray infact they make one for the ace250 thats about 100+ it attachs to the machine do the ones that do (attach), seem to detect better then stand alones or it dosen't matter?

I have the sunray inline probe for my minelab explorer and wouldn't ever use another probe. The inline probe on the ace250 should act just like a mini coil for the ace. It will have the same sounds and discrimination patterns. So if you dig a big plug and it turns out to be iron in the hole you will know it and can pop the plug in and go along your way. With the other probes they detect all metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread