Is it possible to home build a submersible metal detector?

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking over this website, which was posted elsewhere on this thread... http://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/pages/common/index.pl?page=metdet&file=projects.dat

I don't know very much about completely submersible metal detectors? What types are generally used for that purpose? Would it be possible using one of the schematics on that list to make a basic underwater metal detector? Making sure all of the electronics are sealed up and water tight.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For fresh water hunting, most are VLF; for salt water, most are PI. If you want something for wading, then it's easy, use an Otter Box or similar. If you want to dive 100 feet, it's tough.

Geotech has discussions forums if you get serious about it.

- Carl

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Not knocking your method...But With the time you have spent researching and building, you could have found several golds by then And payed for a Older CZ20, or PI unit..Best to have a regular and then a backup unit you can tinker with. Something I learned along time ago on HotRods....But only after 3 years of nights in the garage..while everyone else was out cruz'en or digging the Gold.
Sandmans famous saying........
"TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, I have seen a few waterproofed Soverens, and other types. But there are many used UW detectors being sold. Check on eBay, I see a lot going for good prices. Or check here in the for sale, way at the bottom.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you can, but is it worth the time and trouble, one leak and your detector is toast... I use to have a waterproofed Sov GT, it was and still is a great detector, I recently sold it.

The cost to waterproof it was not cheap, it was put in a underwater ikelite camera case, knobs were extended out of the box the builder did an excellent job, but he would not build them for anyone else because of the expense and time it took to build it. I bought it when he was going through a divorce so I got a good deal on it and I pass the deal on when I sold it......

You would be much better off buying a good waterproof detector or finding one that has already been motified....

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I may eventually buy a new PI detector... However I just found these Surf PI kits available from Silver Dog. http://www.silverdog.co.uk/shop/index.php (click on the kits link, under catagories) Found this looking through the Geotech forums, and from the thread about this kit... Sounds like a pretty darn good one. I've built a few guitar stomp boxes in the past so this kit shouldn't be too tough.

I bought two PI kits... Two whole boards and all the electronic parts for $92.00, that even includes shipping! From what I understand, it's basically a White's Surf PI clone. Best deal I've found for a PI kit. I'd still have to make the coil, housing, etc.

Anyway, for now... I don't really even care if the whole entire unit is submersible... However I'd like to be able to wade out into the water a bit. I'm sure there are better detectors out there... But compared to saltwater and using my Whites MXT... This kit should do well for me. The MXT goes crazy even just over wet sand.

Here's the forum thread, shows close ups of the PCBs, builds of this detector, etc. http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17121

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built one of the two kits which I received earlier this week, it's working just as described, and I've been doing some limited experiments with it.... I built a small single coil, only about 4" diameter to test it with. I've read that it's fairly easy to get a depth with a regular coil, about equal to the diameter of the coil. So far this is exactly what I'm getting. Still I need to put everything in a box, and build a bigger coil, and the frame and everything and eventually test it out in the field. There are lots of mods that people to this basic kit I bought, and I'll probably mess around with the circuit and test out a few things before I try to put it to real use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread