discrimination vs. depth

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all metal is the deepest
you can lose up to three inches when in a discrimination mode....

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Teknetics Delta 4000 doesn't loose depth at all, It has all metal mode and disc mode, both display the same target numbers and depth, only the desc mode controls which tones are made. In all metal mode the tone is variable.
The only setting that affect depth is the sensitivity setting.
Now mind you the depth does affect the discrimination accuracy, meaning the deeper it is the less the unit can discriminate between metals.

Last edited:

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Teknetics Delta 4000 doesn't loose depth at all, It has all metal mode and disc mode, both display the same target numbers and depth, only the desc mode controls which tones are made. In all metal mode the tone is variable.
The only setting that affect depth is the sensitivity setting.
Now mind you the depth does affect the discrimination accuracy, meaning the deeper it is the less the unit can discriminate between metals.

Interesting concept . I'll have to check out the Trknetics site . Thanks Centar ....:thumbsup:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Gamma has no difference between discriminate mode and all metal.

Switching to all metal with my Fishers will get you 20-40% more depth.

Odd since both are the same company.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It's not entirely true, on all-machines, that the all-metal mode goes deeper. On some machines, disc. may actually go deeper. For example: on the Explorer II, it has a particularly bad (weak) all-metal pinpoint mode. So there's been times when I go to try pinpoint mode, and the target isn't even there!! Thus for that reason, most guys using the Exp. II don't even bother with pinpoint mode. They much-prefer just to "x-marks the spot" visually while in disc.

I think the later incarnatations of the explorer "fixed" this. But for the Exp. II, the all-metal was certainly more wimpy than disc. mode.

As for increasing disc. settings = less depth, well .... yes and no. I think the real issue is that ..... at deeper depths, the TID (ability of the machine to discern high vs mod vs low conductor) starts to wain. So if you have low disc. settings (or wide-open screen or whatever you want to call it), you're more likely to be "drawn" to investigate whispers. And by doing so (centering over them attempting to "bring them in" on the audio), you're more likely to deduce what the eventual TID is (high vs low, etc...). Whereas, if you had been in HIGH DISC, your initial swing over that target might not necessarily have been exactly centered over the strong spot, hence you'd never have been drawn to investigate (center, swing *just right* etc...), hence missing it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Just a note: Your discrimination does not go down as far as your possible detection dept.
------------: Your discrimination merely cuts out the signal on certain power level returns.
------------: Some detectors, like the XLT can discriminate out the sound, but still display it on the screen.
Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I really think it depends on which detector one is using. My Garrett AT Pro, shortly after setting the ground balance more or less correctly, I got a loud beep in STD mode, sensitivity 7 out of 8, iron rejected completely (40), iron audio off, coins program that eliminates (besides iron) foil, pulltabs, screwcaps. It was reading 80-85 (all dime numbers) on every pass, & depth was indicating 8". It was a clad dime 7" deep, in mineralized & hard dry dirt, in a heavily detected park.

Very few of the dozens of detectors I've had can ID a dime accurately beyond about 4". My next best for accurate IDs at depth is my Teknetics G2. The Garrett GTAx 1250 I sold was my 3rd best (clad dime planted down 5" gave loud beep, with ID lock between zinc & dime) in Coins program (nearly all junk rejected). New Teknetics Eurotek Pro (under $300) is said by many as having accurate ID at depth. I hope to try one, but have too many detectors already. Best wishes, George (MN)

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The big difference between the AT's and the Whites like the XLT is you set what you want to find with the XLT and you set what you don't want to find with the AT's. It's far easier with the XLT. You still get the full display with the XLT, but it only signals on what you want. Also the XLT is an exact pinpointer. No wiggle and guess required. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My MXT doesn't seem to be bothered by disc. too much, but of course like others have said the real deep stuff doesn't always give you the VDI it would if it wasn't deep so you would be knocking out those lower VDI's and might pass up some good targets. I always dig those real deep whisper targets no matter what VDI they are. HH

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In analog and older types of detectors the "all metal" was the deepest seting since the electronics actually bypassed the discrimination filters. In the modern digital detectors, the signali is processed pretty much in the same manner regardless the mode you are using. There is a difference, however, when you are using the change in trashold sound for detection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread