At pro is acting crazy in the water.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Went to the beach today and At pro was working fine. Went in the water and about an hr after being in the lake it starts to beep like crazy every swing and going nuts on the iron audio. I moved got out of the water lifted my detector away from the ground and each slight movement it would bleep and ding. Couldn't ground balance it was giving a high pitched tone when I tried and was totally unstable. It's done this 3 times now. It's fine for about an hr in the water then starts chirping like a am angry bird. I've heard many guys with the same prob on here and was leery about buying an At pro but I heard they worked out this problem so I bought it. Just got it in Dec. my Garrett 250 works flawlessly and has found me 8 silver coins and a 14k gold ring shortly after I got it and the Pro has yet to get me a coin or a piece of gold. I'm so frustrated with this machine. Maybe I should've went with a MXT pro or a minelab 505. The only thing that sold me was it being water proof.

petey1231

Jan 1, 2013
At pro not very good in salt water or wet saltwater sand - drop sensitivity keep ground balancing and check all cables and under coil cover has t got trapped sand causing false signals

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Did you buy this new or used? Does it have the camlocks on rods? If less than 2 years old, if it's something needing fixing, you're covered. But you should phone or e-mail Garrett before sending it back, as there may be some additional test you need to try. Did you get a manual with it?. A properly working AT Pro with the manual ground balance set correctly, is way better than the Ace 250. I did get poor depth on my AT Pro until I did the manual ground balance more or less correctly. After that, a 7" dime that IDed correctly in my mineralized ground that was dry & hard at the time. With the Ace 250s I had, the deepest they could ID a dime in my soil was 4". Can we assume the lake you tried was not a salt lake? Best wishes, George (MN)

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Is your pinpoint button sticking. Fine sand will cause it to do that. Mine was acting crazy and thats what i found at fault in my case. I have a do it yourself fix for that problem. Mine only stuck when i was water hunting.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an AT pro as a stop gap when my excal was in the shop and mine behaves the same way. I sent it in for repair, they charged me a bunch of money (out of warranty ) and it came back the same. Its currently gathering dust in my detector mausoleum Very frustrating. Thats a decent fresh water machine. MXT is quite long in the tooth these days Idk the 505 but its all about preferance.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably a pinhole leak in the coil. If you have a different coil for it try that.:icon_thumright:

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine does the same thing, just goes crazy. I wasn’t using mine submerged but out for hours in the searing Fl. sun. Super hot on a beach /boat. It happened twice. The second time I poured a bottle of cold water over it and put a towel over it to keep it in the shade, then it worked ok. So excessive heat seems to trigger issues with mine. I have yet to submerge it, IMO I would consider it is 67 IPX rated at most. Can’t seem to find the IPX rating on any machines, just sales promises it’s good to whatever depth they claim. With an intermittent problem like mine if I send it in while still under warranty it will probably come back with a No Problem Found unless they hit it pretty hard with the heat gun. I was a tech and have seen temp related issues with ICs. We would freeze spray or touch them with the tip of our soldering pen or heat the whole board up with a heat gun. Once its out of warranty I will pull it apart and see what’s goin on. Could be something as simple as a ribbon cable connector.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread