Tech question?

T

treasurejack

I use to have a great deal of luck hunting a small beach not far from my home, however, a couple of years ago they built a new nature center on the hill just above the beach and now you can't turn a detector on within a couple hundred feet of the place or it simply goes nuts 24/7. We've tried a CZ-20, an Excalibur, a Whites, even an older Garret, and it's always the same thing, you just can't get rid of the constant interference. Anyone know what this is all about?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
sounds like electrical interference of some type. on the Garrett 2500 you can choose a different frequency to run the machine on in case of just such a thing. on the explorer SE there is a noise cancell feature that does the same thing, finds the quitest frequency for the detector to run on and chooses it. i would imagine that the newer whites machines probably would have a similar feature.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have high tension lines running nearby and i can go almost right underneath them with my SE.

This is from a nature center, what the heck they running up there, RF waves or something. They haven`t got any buried lines running out to the water to a maritime station or anything like that do they?

OP
OP
T

treasurejack

I'm not sure what they've got but I do know they ran some underground cables into the center. You can hold the detector straight up in the air and nothing changes, however, if you hold the pinpoint feature in on your detector the interference goes away, but this is the only way you can silence it? I've never run into anything like it before, never had any problems with high tension lines either, but this is something else all together? I wondered about microwave signals? Beats me, all I know is that you can't tone it out, no way.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any electric fences? They'll make a detector wacko..

OP
OP
T

treasurejack

Nope, no fences. I've tried it with the coil buried in four feet of water and also stuck nine feet high in the open air, but it made no difference at all, same exact effect either way. Normally I wouldn't sweat it, just strike the spot of my list, but we sure did make a lot of good finds on this beach over the years and I'd really like to be able to start hunting it again. Another concern is the health issue, I can't imagine this type of thing would be too healthy for people to be around all the time?

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
might try an go up to the center an talk with someone.I am sure a few questions might give you the answer your looking for.Just ask it in a very curious way.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any radio towers nearby? High power radio stations could be a source. I can't imagine there would be a high voltage power line buried into a nature center. If you really want to find out, see if you can contact a ham radio operator. Hams fight interference all the time and someone may be able to at least pinpoint the source. Just about everything electrical has limits on emissions. You can also use an AM radio to search around the area and maybe find it. Just tune to an unused frequency and listen for the interference. Louder is closer. There could be a malfunction in something that is causing this interference. Walk around with your pinpointer and see if it gets a signal anyplace. It probably won't until your on top of it. Here is where to find ham clubs in your area. Good Luck

Post a reply to let us know what happened.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try a detector like the Explorer that noise cancels by knocking out the interference frequency.
If you can find a machine that works all the coins in that area will be yours from then on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread