Noticed Pin Point mode better than standard for searching?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Noticed Pin Point mode better than standard for searching?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2014
    23 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Noticed Pin Point mode better than standard for searching?

So I'm new to the hobby. 2 weeks now with my ace 250...I've found gold and other metal charms, plus a silver necklace already. Anyway, I say that to illustrate that I got pretty heavy into the hobby. I'm still learning my metal detector and I feel it's my best friend. I enjoy it so much. Anyway, today, I've been kind of thinking about the pin point function of the metal detector and have gotten a good feel for how it works...With that being said, I've noticed a very interesting side effect with the detector..It seems like the pin pointer mode is more sensitive than the standard swipe mode...I mean, if I pop my standard coil into the air away from any metal, hit the pin point button and then bring it near the ground, the detector seems to become a LOT more sensitive to the ground, metals, and area...Like I will not only get hits from under my coil, but I can get readings from a larger area over all...But at the same time, making it easy to pinpoint where the item is...From there, to verify it's not a false positive, you take it out of pin point mode and swipe it across to make sure you get a good pattern...Am I missing something here? Why wouldn't everyone use this mode more often? I seem to sweep a LOT faster doing it in pin pointer mode and my filter rate is a lot higher too...It really like exponentially increases my efficiency.

Jul 2013
    1166 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Pin point mode on the 250 is meant to be depressed once an object is found and held down to isolate the target, then released again. You can't hunt in pin point mode on the ace 250. That would mean you would have to keep your finger pushed on the button at all times. It's not like Excallibur or a Beach Hunter ID where you can hunt in pin point mode.

Jan 2014
    23 times
    I mean, I get what you're saying...But I tell you it works very well for me....In my opinion, better than the swing ding method.

us
    Sep 2010
    Groveland, CA
    441 times
    Are you saying for example, that you could locate a quarter at 8" in pinpoint mode that that you would have only found at 5" in standard mode?

I'll give it a try. At any rate learning your machine is key.

Jan 2013
    36 times
    You can actually detect items deeper in pin point mode (all metal) then discriminate mode. This is why the high end white's detectors have a mixed mode. Combination of pin point plus discriminate. I sometimes run my v3i in stereo mixed mode where I hear pin point in one ear and tonal discriminate in the other ear. The only disadvantage is that it can get extremely noisy in high junk areas.
    Last edited by FreeMindStuck; Feb 03, 2014 at 06:43 PM.

us
    Nov 2012
    Cincinnati Ohio
    White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
    1926 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Isn't a 250 all metal in the pinpoint mode?

Mike

Jan 2007
    Edgewood, MD
    Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
    30 times
    I wouldn't want to hear all the buzzing in pinpoint mode and I believe using pin point mode will kill your batteries much quicker

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    When you can't tax them anymore start fining them

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1681 times
    Metal Detecting
    Pinpoint mode is all metal mode with no motion required on garret, whites and many other machiens. The reason your seeing the increase in sensitivity is because all discrimination is being turned off so you can locate your target. You can hunt in pinpoint but you wont be able to use the other bells a whistles while your at it.
    Diggin-N-Dumps likes this.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3637 times
    Quote Originally Posted by luciddream View Post
    I mean, I get what you're saying...But I tell you it works very well for me....In my opinion, better than the swing ding method.
    So you ONLY use the Pinpoint thing?...Do you change you batteries every 2 hours..lol

Really thou...I wwouldnt see that being helpful at all. It there just to let you know abouts where to dig. Plus its good to see how large an object is.

I use it alot when i get a weak deep signal to determine whether its really a deep coin, or if its just Iron fooling me.

Because if you are trying to pinpoint a piece of iron 8" deep...it usually wont hit on anything

Mike

Jan 2007
    Edgewood, MD
    Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
    30 times
    U should just run your detector wide open with no discrimination. I would thing using pinpoint all the time will certainly reduce the life span of the electronics

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    When you can't tax them anymore start fining them

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5535 times
    2019.....Gold rings..109....Misc/gold 9.....Silver/Sterling 257
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Lucidream
    With that being said, I've noticed a very interesting side effect with the detector..It seems like the pin pointer mode is more sensitive than the standard swipe mode...I mean, if I pop my standard coil into the air away from any metal, hit the pin point button and then bring it near the ground, the detector seems to become a LOT more sensitive to the ground, metals, and area...Like I will not only get hits from under my coil, but I can get readings from a larger area over all...But at the same time, making it easy to pinpoint where the item is...From there, to verify it's not a false positive, you take it out of pin point mode and swipe it across to make sure you get a good pattern...Am I missing something here? Why wouldn't everyone use this mode more often? I seem to sweep a LOT faster doing it in pin pointer mode and my filter rate is a lot higher too...
    That is Excellent detecting!!
    Thinking outside of what all others do is the way to become a better hunter and getting the most from your machine. Many years ago before anyone was hunting with the Excalibur In Pin Point I was getting heckled by many for this, low and behold now it is the Hottest thing going if you own a Excalibur. Here is a note from Minelabs during that time to someone that questioned them about it...

FROM MINELAB: Bill xxxxx

I've heard this very same thing and it seems to be more perception than reality. Now in theory this might technically be true as when running in discrimination the detector is using a portion of its power to perform the discrimination which takes that away from putting it in the ground but in reality that difference is so minimal no one would see a difference outside of a lab with high end instruments. Plus, I've never been able to duplicate it through testing It never found a target in Pin Point that I haven't found in Discriminate.
    Also, from a personal level, as An excel user I don't understand why someone would want to hunt in pin point as that's all metal and I for one don't want to waste my time digging junk when I could be finding good targets.

Minelab Americas | 1418 Brook Dr., Downers Grove, IL 60515 USA
    Underlined........
    You know the really funny part about this is he does not even know that when you turn the Excalibur on it puts out a transmit signal, no matter what your settings are it does not change, you turn the detector on, it is there. From testing a few water machines I have found this to be true of them also...Whites DF PI, AT Pro, and Garrett Infinium LS PI...

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

Mar 2014
    139 times
    WhT do you mean by the Excaliber puts out a "transmit signal"?

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5535 times
    2019.....Gold rings..109....Misc/gold 9.....Silver/Sterling 257
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    WhT do you mean by the Excaliber puts out a "transmit signal"?
    Sends out Electromagnetic field, (TX field, transmit signal/field) the RX receives the targets that are lite up by the TX signal. To improve the send and return signals I have by passed the circuit's on Excalibur boards. Does it help, Need to take the time and test.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OBN0158.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	989961

Right now testing endcap for coil changing on the Excalibur. Seems the remote PP on the Excalibur is good to go, sold several kits last season US, Japan, Australia, Germany, Spain, England, and the list goes on....

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

Mar 2014
    139 times
    What does that do? You're over my head.

us
    Apr 2007
    Gulf Coast, Texas
    AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
    76 times
    There was an old thread about installing a switch to keep it in pin point mode..I have used my ace many times like that..
    ENGLISH, SPEAK IT, USE IT.......
    Better Living Thru Chemistry
    Live Long, and Prosper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links