Garrett GtaX500 erratic behavior

Slug54

Apr 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
First post here.

I am having problems with my Garrett GtaX500 that I have used for many years.

The current issue is that if the detector is moved or even the slightest touch of the cable coming from the control box to the coil
will cause the machine to alert to target detections across the whole spectrum and sometimes the alert will get locked in a loop and the detector will need to be powered off.

A little history of this detector.
The audio quit being adjustable a couple years after I got it.The bar graph changes up and down but the level of audio is stuck really loud.
because of this I use it with headphones but just put them around my neck.Well on Saturday everything was working great hunted one site fine moved to a 2nd site and recovered my 1st target and when I went to stand up my foot was on the headphone cable and I stood up and it destroyed the 1/8th to 1/4 adapter that I use to connect my headphones.The adapter was trashed so I thought I would just use it without phones and that is where the problem started.
I have tried it with a new adapter and I still have the problem.

I have taken it apart and re-soldered the header connectors between the boards and checked the printed circuit cable.
I tried checking the coil cable with an ohmeter and the only reading I get is 4.5 Ohms between pins 1 and 4 .

If anyone knows anything that I check please let me know.

-Slug

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it it were mine, I'd call Garrett, and get an RMA. Worse case, you buy a new AT Pro!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the coil wire tight my gtex 400 was acting up an the wire was loose...hope you can get it fixed.....

liftloop

Vernwitt301

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2019
Waldorf md
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garret pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi and hello,
This is my first post. I have browse the site many times before. So now I am a member and I was researching on Google about a erratic behavior of my Garrett at pro. It pulled up this thread. The advice given was for someone to push and hold the power button for 5 to 8 seconds, that we could possibly correct this erratic behavior.I just want to give props to this old thread that helped me immensely fix the erratic behavior of my Garrity to you bro. Cheers to all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread